Too many notes?

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
I often find that I simply have too many games on the shelf, and that choosing one to which to devote an evening just creates more problems than it solves.

If I choose Splinter Cell over Resident Evil 4 for PS2, for example, does this mean that I really don't care about those extra levels, and wasted the $14 I spent on Gamefly buying the game? Or does this mean that, since I probably would rather be playing Psychonauts, but don't feel like playing with the Xbox "s" controller (the 360 controller is far more comfortable - especially if you spend all day typing for a living), that I should just get rid of the damn Xbox? But if I do that, what will happen to all of those Xbox titles I have (14 still) that aren't yet backwardly compatible?

The immediate solution is usually to buy a new game, forcing myself to concentrate on the new $50 toy in the house, although this only adds to the problem in the long run. And since we here in the office are devoted to (essentially) covering the development of even more games ... one feels the first sting of insanity's knife.

Anyone else?

Jul 12, 2006
I know exactly what you mean, when it gets like that I tend to focus on the game I've had the longest but either haven't beaten and/or haven't gotten everything for. (I'll pop it in, and play it, but if I don't get deeply involved pretty quickly (half hour or so) I just migrate on.)

It's the whole "Too many Choices to be happy with any of them." type conundrum.

Incommunicado

Jul 13, 2006
Oh I feel so much like you!
Piles of games lying around but over the course of the last years I increasingly lost patience to devote more than a few hours to a game. I for myself am not sure if it is because of the amount of choice or the inability of the games to satisfy my demands.

I miss games with immersive storylines and individual characters. Games with no storyline and an open-end like GTA style games or MMORPG fail to capture my interest at all. Recently I dug out Freelancer from Digital Anvil. I played through the story in a few days because I really liked the story and the characters. It was a great experience (after so many years of dropping games after few hours) although the game is rather old and I really didn't get around finishing it all the years before. But when it "got me" I couldn't stop.

So I think it pretty much depends on the game and if it can capture your attention rather than choice.

Jul 12, 2006
Incommunicado --

Have you played any of the SaGa games? I recently played The Romancing SaGa and it is by far one of the most immersive of the current SaGa games. I really enjoyed it, there is an open feel to it, but the story is *very* deep.

The Digital Devil Saga (The First one, the second one was... Eh..) had such an amazing storyline, it was indepth, alternate and not the same drivel. I REALLY enjoyed it, although some parts got a little monotonous, they were easy to spice up.

Incommunicado

Jul 13, 2006
I just did a quick google on the SaGa games and they seem quite promising. Haven' heard of those before since I have been more into PC Games and only sometimes played on my PS One or GameCube. Only recently since I got the XBox360 I am about to leave PC platform to dive a little deeper into console gaming, even into the older titles I own and did not play intensively, especially on the Gamecube.
It's a pity I have no PS2, but I will borrow one from a friend next weekend and try to rent one of the SaGa titles. Maybe my games and device collection get a little extension once again to add to the choice ;-).

Jul 12, 2006
I am pretty sure there is a SaGa game for the PS1... I just finished both the SaGa games for the PS2, and man... Let me tell you, they are fun and time consuming.