Too Many Users Bork Up Call of Duty Elite Registration

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Too Many Users Bork Up Call of Duty Elite Registration

The flood of new COD players today broke Activision's new Elite service.

The big push this year from Activision regarding its COD series at E3 was the Elite service [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110794-E3-Call-of-Duty-Elite] - a social-networking platform for sharing videos, screenshots and communicating with comrades. The release of Modern Warfare 3 today coincides with the first time Elite makes it out into the wild, so you'd think there would have been safeguards in place for the many millions of people that would sign up for it. Unfortunately, Beachhead Studio - the company handling Elite - is reeling from an unanticipated number of people registering, and the servers are struggling to compensate.

"Registration requests for our new live service Call of Duty Elite are exceeding even our most optimistic expectations, which is creating a bottleneck and some players have not been able to register," reads an update page on the Elite homepage from Chacko Sonny, the head of Beachhead Studio.

"We have already registered hundreds of thousands of players and we are working around the clock to increase our capacity as quickly as possible," he continued.

Sonny also made sure to say that all kill stats are still being recorded. "Please be assured your gameplay data is safe and that whenever you successfully register for Call of Duty Elite, all of your data will be waiting for you. So enjoy the game, start ranking up and we assure you we are working around the clock to accommodate every player who wants to be a part of Call of Duty Elite as quickly as possible," he said.

The part that gets me is that Activision has been touting the wonders of Elite for the last six months, how could Beachhead and Chacko Sonny not anticipate traffic from millions of players today?

Also, what kind of a name is Chacko Sonny?

Source: Call of Duty Elite Status Page [http://www.callofduty.com/elite/status]

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Servers don't handle initial number of users on day 1.
In other news, the Sun rose once again this morning and is expected to set sometime in the evening.
Bringing you news from around the gaming world, this is Captain Obvious with Escapist News One.

Greg Tito said:
The part that gets me is that Activision has been touting the wonders of Elite for the last six months, how could Beachhead and Chacko Sonny not anticipate traffic from millions of players today?
Because when you build a server, you build it to withstand a somewhat-over-average number of users logging in at the same time. Building a server that could handle whatever part of the 6+ million users (going off Black Ops day 1 sales, wouldn't be surprised if it was more than that) logs in at the same time on the first day would be a waste of resources, at best they could've implemented a queuing system.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
I think it would be hilarious if elite versions of the game alone outsell battlefield 3's opening day.

I agree I think they should have done a better job of getting ready for this.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
I was shocked to see how many people got Elite. Personally, I would never get it, but out of the sixty or so people that clogged up the closet-sized store in the first half hour of line sign up, I think about 50 got Elite with their game. Of course, midnight buyers are much more intense than the rest, so I doubt that trend will continue.

I, for one, didn't get the game at all, and don't plan on it. It was just interesting to see.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Wow I'm surprised anyone bought Elite. It seems so pointless.

I'll be buying the game but no way am I paying for video uploads, stat tracking and clan management, things that have been free since the dawn of a while ago.

Edit: Forgot that dlc is included in the price of elite, [sarcasm]woooo a saving on map packs! [/sarcasm]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Probably cheaper and gets more headlines to have the servers just crap out and apologies for not being ready then to be ready to take the numbers and have everything go off without a hitch.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Am I the only one who can't help but think of Graham's BF3 rant in this week's Checkpoint [http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/battlefail-3]?

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Actual said:
Edit: Forgot that dlc is included in the price of elite, [sarcasm]woooo a saving on map packs! [/sarcasm]
If you bought every dlc for black ops, or at least most of it. Even if you don't care about clan management, video uploading, or stat tracking buying elite would save you money. Seems as pointless as getting a year long subscription for xbox live instead of going month to month.