Too scared to play online!

aescuder

Aug 24, 2010
I'm as competitive as the next guy but it seems to me that a lot of online games (for most genres) these days have an extreme difficulty curve due to the high amount of hardcore gamers, fanatics, or kids with too much time. I can hold my own on some, like call of duty, magic, armored core, and others, but I just played mortal kombat online the other night and got into a "4 noobs only" room and got my ass handed to me by a wide margin.

Is it me or is prepping to play online just seems so exhausting these days? hours of practice, gameFAQs, youtube videos...no wonder gamers scare off a lot of casual players...I'm not sure if all this is good for the medium.

Any thoughts escapist? Has there been any game you thought just took too much work to play online?

EDIT: This is NOT an attack on core players. I'm a "hardcore" player in a few games myself and I enjoy the competitive nature of it. There just seems to be something terribly wrong with noobs being slaughtered in a COD game because the other team is filled with 10prestige guys.(albeit fun if you're in the winning team but wrong all the same) Why aren't there better ladders or even a better sorting system in online games? I feel like if there was than maybe even Yahtzee would warm up to online multiplayer.

EDIT2: Christ us gamers are more annoying than I thought. I don't want or need tips in ANY multiplayer online gaming. I do well enough on my own. I could give a flying f**k if you're better than me in every single way or that you're awesome in a particular online game. I enjoy hard competitive games. I just think that there are a lot of missed opportunities in them.

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
I'm with you on this one. I don't have the time or dedication necessary to play online and advance my skills, so I don't.

That way I don't have to deal with anyone else ruining my perfectly good game, too.

aescuder

Aug 24, 2010
AugustFall said:
The best prep to play online is to play online. In every game.
Hence the "hours of practice". Agreed, although still laborious especially for games like Star Craft 2 and League of Legends.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I would point out that a room that says for n00bs only isnt definatly going to mean only n00bs are there.
Playing online is different really. Fighting games is a hardcore haven, so unskilled players should accept the difficulty by either getting better, not caring, or avoiding.
But some games you can be good or just useful by understanding certain things. Anyone who is willing to shoot down a harrier in MW2 for example, is more skilled than most MW2 players in my book, since no one ever wants to waste time investing in a stinger class (or even the AT4 with Scavenger)

Common sense is not so common online. Having that is a skill of its own.

Smerf

May 4, 2011
aescuder said:
AugustFall said:
Hence the "hours of practice". Agreed, although still laborious especially for games like Star Craft 2 and League of Legends.
i didnt find lol that hard. admitably i use to play dota, but i sucked at it.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
In fighting games it is quite ridiculous, I mean I've never won 1 match against anyone over the internet but when I play with my friends I almost always win, so no it's not just you.

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
I think many people know what they are getting into when they purchase games that can be that way. VERY few purchase CoD for story. So, I think people should make informed decisions.

Is it bad for gaming when CoD matches are complete upsets? I don't think it will matter. I quit matches that have me form up with noobs vs. hardcore gamers because it's not fun. I don't know how many experience that and get pissed enough to say "I will not buy another copy of this genre" because of it. I doubt many. So, no it isn't bad for the gaming industry. It is bad for the sanity of tried and true gamers out there who have been through many consoles and suddenly from having a bout of bad luck with noob parties over and over to stop playing competitive games in that genre.

Really though, games are supposed to be made better than that. Such events aren't supposed to happen. There is supposed to be some progression ... VISIBLE progression with skills as you go along in the game. That should be one of the reasons you play. Not only that you're having fun and being challenged and being set in an environment that you enjoy, but to progress at what you enjoy doing.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yet anther reason why I don't play online. The other players are all uber-elite and are also all douchebags.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Start small, get better. Like any other competitive venture. You're nothing until you can prove your skill, not against a programmed AI, but against living, breathing players.

For some of your opponents, they may have been at their computers long enough to be declared dead, but that's not the point.

Periodic

Jun 18, 2008
aescuder said:
Smerf said:
as kindly as i can put it, grow a pair. dont bother with all that stuff, jump in die a lot, get better and eventualy pwn the noobs. playing ai doesnt help you much when it comes to online
As kindly as I can put it, go f**k yourself. I'm trying to have a proper conversation I don't need your pompous elitist arse stinking it up the place. As I've said I can hold my own in most games, but there are some games like League of Legends where you have games that can last 40 min. To a certain degree it just starts feeling like work.
Dude, you're complaining about people being better than you at online games. If the online games were more accessible, it would mean that they wouldn't have the depth they have, which is what makes people keep playing these games over and over and over again. You are basically saying that you want online games to be dumbed down for casual gamers. There are online games that are dumbed down for casual gamers, why do you want ALL games to be so?

aescuder said:
As kindly as I can put it, go f**k yourself.
Right back at you, buckaroo.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
I never really have problems while online, that is of course if I'm playing games I know. If I play any fighting games online I'm done for. I rarely play the genre and only do for simple fun with me and a few friends. Now I'll play Halo or Kill Zone and get into it. So I guess if come down to what series you play the most you'll be good to go.

wolfcrux

Oct 6, 2010
Competitive play is exactly what it says on the tin.
Sounds like Mortal Kombat just needs a ladder/ranking system to match you up against people at your own 'skill' level.

Don't hate on a game for having dedicated gamers, likewise don't hate on gamers for being dedicated to a game.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
aescuder said:
AugustFall said:
If it feels like "work" or "practice" then you're doing it very wrong. The thing that should be at the forefront of your mind when playing online is HAVING FUN. If you don't have fun there's no point. The best way to have fun with a game, win or lose, is to play it with friends. Playing with friends is more fun, and all of you get better at the same time, plus because you can strategize together easier, you'll have an easier time winning.

s0m3th1ng

Aug 29, 2010
aescuder said:
I'm as competitive as the next guy but it seems to me that a lot of online games (for most genres) these days have an extreme difficulty curve due to the high amount of hardcore gamers, fanatics, or kids with too much time. I can hold my own on some, like call of duty, magic, armored core, and others, but I just played mortal kombat online the other night and got into a "4 noobs only" room and got my ass handed to me by a wide margin.

Is it me or is prepping to play online just seems so exhausting these days? hours of practice, gameFAQs, youtube videos...no wonder gamers scare off a lot of casual players...I'm not sure if all this is good for the medium.

Any thoughts escapist? Has there been any game you thought just took too much work to play online?
I suggest Bejeweled 3.
Only games I ever thought required work to become "good" were the MMOs and Pokemon. MMO's are based on grinding yet I don't see you complaining about them? Perhaps you just don't like being emasculated over the internet...in which case I suggest just not giving a shit about how well you do while playing online and I dunno...have fun?
Your complaint is also kind of oxymoronic because a game that doesn't require some form of effort or skill to enjoy isn't what many of us would call a game. Even solitaire requires you to recognize the best use for a card at a given time.

Also..."prepping to do well" has been going on since man first competed against one another. Do you complain when other players beat you on the soccer field because they had more time to practice than you? Maybe you want games to just hand the win over to you so you feel accomplished?
Hmm...a bit more biting than it should be but I'm quite tired of seeing this kind of entitlement recently.

DeadFOAM

Aug 7, 2010
aescuder said:
Smerf said:
as kindly as i can put it, grow a pair. dont bother with all that stuff, jump in die a lot, get better and eventualy pwn the noobs. playing ai doesnt help you much when it comes to online
As kindly as I can put it, go f**k yourself. I'm trying to have a proper conversation I don't need your pompous elitist arse stinking it up the place. As I've said I can hold my own in most games, but there are some games like League of Legends where you have games that can last 40 min. To a certain degree it just starts feeling like work.
The man gave you the best advice you can get. He isn't being a pompous ass, it's the truth.

aescuder

Aug 24, 2010
Periodic said:
aescuder said:
Smerf said:
Dude, you're complaining about people being better than you at online games. If the online games were more accessible, it would mean that they wouldn't have the depth they have, which is what makes people keep playing these games over and over and over again. You are basically saying that you want online games to be dumbed down for casual gamers. There are online games that are dumbed down for casual gamers, why do you want ALL games to be so?

aescuder said:
As kindly as I can put it, go f**k yourself.
Right back at you, buckaroo.

I'm not "Basically saying" anything. I'm not complaining that people are better than me, there will ALWAYS be people better than me. In any game. Some people have more time than others or like the game much more than others or are just born to be MLG players, I get it.

I would disagree that making online games more accessible automatically equates dumbing it down or that you're sacrificing depth. I'm pretty sure there are ways to design around this very simple problem. Why aren't there difficulty settings for multiplayer? why can't the noobs play with the noobs, the intermediates play with intermediates, and core play with the core, and a fuck all option? Is it so "Casual" of me to ask for that?

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
As a rule of thumb, avoid online fighting games such as soul caliber, street fighter, etc.

I surprisingly didn't learn this rule online, but at an arcade where some asshole went up to me when I was getting ready to fight bison and put in a few coins, causing me to have to vs. him, at which point he kicked my virtual ass and then held down the start button while I had a game over and was digging through my pcokets for change to continue. People who play fighting games online aren't much different, the only difference is that they they can't affect your single player status.

Point being, if a game focuses around button mashing (street fighters) or cheap tricks (CoDs) then you enter at your own risk. It sucks, but its true. (Generally ok with strategies if you understand the mechs.)

Unholykrumpet

Nov 1, 2007
Smerf said:
aescuder said:
AugustFall said:
i didnt find lol that hard. admitably i use to play dota, but i sucked at it.
LoL isn't that hard because it has a great learning curve and tries its hardest to put you with other low level players that are still learning the game. This is what every successful game should do.