too senstivie kids

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Demented Teddy said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Booze Zombie said:
Cuddling every kid that trips over does not a strong society make.
Seriously? Maybe if you're talking about Sparta, but where I live there's more to life than physical toughness.
Yes you are correct, there is the state of the mind.
A 12 year old can not go through life thinking it?s ok to start crying over getting hit by a birdie.
It goes a lot deeper then just appearing physically though.
I think it rather depends on the context. If the shuttlecock slowly drifted down after a gentle serve and hit him lightly on the shoulder, then bursting into tears is perhaps and over reaction; on the other hand, if it was launched at him at high speeds with the intent to hurt him and hit him squarely in the face, then I'd forgive someone for crying, especially a kid of 12.

Admitting that you're hurt is not a weakness. There's almost no situation where ignoring physical pain is beneficial, and certainly not in a game of badminton.

FetaFrosch

Sep 30, 2008
I have never heard of someone who started crying because of these things,although I know that they can hurt, but only when you get hit at a sensitive place AND play against an asshole -.-'

Housebroken Lunatic

Sep 12, 2009
Shurikens and Lightning said:
I shed a tear when I see a Pixar movie, I cried that time my pet died. However, I didn't cry the time I broke my thumb playing baseball in gym.

The real world is a terrible place and the kid who cried is ill-equipped to handle said world. Emotions aren't useless but crying at everything wrong in the world is unproductive and quite annoying, to be frank.
I don't know about you but I'd rather have a world where kids cry because of trivial things like this, than a world where kids have REAL reasons to cry.

And from your response, the only thing I can gather is that you don't want to change the world. You'd rather leave things as they are and just "toughen" kids up so they can cope with it. If everybody thought like that, we'd still be living in the time before the stone age. Just so you know.

So instead of wasting energy being annoyed by people who cry, why not invest some of that energy in making sure that kids don't have to cry? Or at the very least eliminate the "real" reasons for them to do so?

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
Expelled for that? Wow. Also, what kid that age CRIES when hit with a fucking badminton birdy?

Also....batt mitten? HAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Cavouku said:
...You think we should cuddle a kid who tripped? Come on, that's just... I mean, what is crying? You cry if you're overwhelmed with any feeling right? Isn't it an admirable trait to have the inner strength to not be so easily overwhelmed?

Even if something hurts, you don't need to cry about it, and they certainly don't need special attention. That just raises spoiled kids.

Independence is important. So is a sense of community, and the need for others, but you can't just be carried by everyone around you. You know that.
I think you're taking several complicated and nuanced ideas and conflating them into one over-simplistic viewpoint, and I think - or at least I hope - it's an attitude you'll grow out of.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
The Anhk24 said:
while trying to procrastinate studying for my government and politics quiz i talked to my friend's little brother who goes to a private school. there is a kid who is gonna be expelled because he hit a kid with a birdy, and the kid who got hit cried. (these kids are like 12-13)

truthfully im not too sure how badly getting hit with a birdy can be but im pretty sure it cant make you cry. I also believe it is stupid this kid might get expelled for this. when i was in elementary school if you got hit, the teacher would just laugh at you or if it was serious send you to a nurse's office.

I personally think kids today are wimps and are too sensititve, but what do u fellow escapists believe

Edit: a birdy is the thing u play batt mitten with:http://www.topnews.in/sports/files/badminton.jpg
I think you are right. Sigh.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
Jeez man, the kid who cried should have been scolded for being such a wuss. I mean come on! The kid has to have a spine. Or there's something we are missing here. Anyway, kids these days need to toughen up, they've been turned into a bunch of linguini-spined wusses by the nanny state.

Jackalb

Dec 31, 2009
SilentVirus said:
Jackalb said:
First Q: What's a birdy?
A birdy is a small, cone shaped "ball" that is used for badminton :p, hoped that helped.
OP: Thats just sad...
If you read the rest of the thread dude it's been answered a good few times.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
gof22 said:
teisjm said:
gof22 said:
teisjm said:
The problem is retarded parents who doesn't care what happened but just wants to STFU their crying kids, so their kids grow up learning, that they get their way when crying.

The schools are a bunch of pussies, who are afraid the craptastic parents will freak out, cause that kind of parents do that, cause they have to compensate for a lack of life of their own OR lack of intererst, or paying attention to their child in their child, so they'll spoil teh little whiny brat, and fight anyone who are not treating their craptastic spawn as a small god with tooth and nail lawsuits and public scandals. Or they might just stop paying the school.

I'll tell ya one thing, the kid who hrew the birdie is lucky to get out of a place like that, you don't get anywhere when you're beeing surrounded by whiny tards with no spine.
Throwing things at people is another good example of not getting anywhere either. Yes, perhaps the kid should not have cried but throwing things at other people is just dumb.
Trjwoing a birdie, while it may not be a step on the road to awesomeness or anything like that, is not a bad thing either. It's a diminutive insignificant thing, which should really not stir up any trouble or anything else for that matter, it's insignificant.
I mean throwing things at people on purpose. If he did throw it on purpose at the kid to be mean he deserved to be punished. Not expulsion, but still deserves punishment.
Yeah, in the form of beeing told, don't throw things at people it's stupid. nothing more
And the crying kid should be told to STFU and stop trying to over-dramatize everything and make a scene out of nothing, a birdie doesn't hurt, it's not a big deal, stop crying like you got beat up or bullied or the birdie was a knife or a large rock or something.

Unstoppable Wall

May 12, 2009
O.O oh wow, just wow, I mean expelled due to a birdy hit? And the kid cried? Look I understand he was 12 but c'mon, it's a gorram birdy, how the hell does that hurt enough to make someone cry? Doesn't make sense to me...ah I dunno, stuff like this makes me more and more cynical.

Aut Vincere Aut Mori
-Unstoppable Wall

Theron Julius

Nov 30, 2009
What the hell? How could that possibly be suspension worthy? What, did the kid who got hit have tissue paper on his body instead of skin? The thing is a chunk of foam and plastic that travels about as fast as somebody walking! Unless it went down the kids throat and he started choking on it, it can't possibly create enough bodily harm to be suspension worthy unless you have toilet paper skin and bones made of rubber. Blargh, it's a private school anyway. Anyone who goes to one of those is a pampered rich single child or the "lucky" little brother.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
One private school kid does not represent the children of this world as a whole.
Theron Julius said:
What the hell? How could that possibly be suspension worthy? What, did the kid who got hit have tissue paper on his body instead of skin? The thing is a chunk of foam and plastic that travels about as fast as somebody walking! Unless it went down the kids throat and he started choking on it, it can't possibly create enough bodily harm to be suspension worthy unless you have toilet paper skin and bones made of rubber. Blargh, it's a private school anyway. Anyone who goes to one of those is a pampered rich single child or the "lucky" little brother.
It's bad to be pampered?
I detect jealousy
Also the thing could have hit the other kid in the eye, the story is quite vague

mangus

Jan 2, 2009
The Anhk24 said:
a birdy is the thing u play batt mitten with
Nono, a birdie is an alternate name for the "shuttlecock", with which one plays "badminton"

I've been hit with those things before, they can hurt if they're aimed at you by your partner five feet away but crying is a bit weeny, to be sure. But then there are weeny kids everywhere, even when you grew up, unless you grew up in THE NORTH where only half-vikings survive.

Amishdemon

Jun 3, 2009
my school still plays dogeball but we have always used gator balls (the foam ones). It really only hurts when the base ball pitchers hut you in the face. a couple weeks ago my school was holding a wrestling tournament and we had the mats out while playing dogeball and it was amazing.

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Cavouku said:
...You think we should cuddle a kid who tripped? Come on, that's just... I mean, what is crying? You cry if you're overwhelmed with any feeling right? Isn't it an admirable trait to have the inner strength to not be so easily overwhelmed?

Even if something hurts, you don't need to cry about it, and they certainly don't need special attention. That just raises spoiled kids.

Independence is important. So is a sense of community, and the need for others, but you can't just be carried by everyone around you. You know that.
I think you're taking several complicated and nuanced ideas and conflating them into one over-simplistic viewpoint, and I think - or at least I hope - it's an attitude you'll grow out of.
I'm not sure I understand... might be my fault, re-reading that I jumbled some things. Let me try again, I usually have to put things in point-form because I have this habit of linking a bunch of things I'm thinking about together at once.

1. I think it's good to build inner strength. Not being overwhelmed, and so not crying, is a sort of byproduct of that. I don't have a problem with people crying or anything, I'm not heartless. I just think crying should be something to overcome, rather than treated as a one-way get-your-wish ticket.

2. Independence is important, so is community. We need to be able to rely on ourselves, and trust others.

3. ...No, that covers it.

I don't see anything in particular wrong with those views. Though I imagine the first might be a little hard to gather. I've got the concept in my head, not 100% sure how to word it.

I feel like you're coming off a bit too sensitively. I've got a friend like that. You sound a lot like him. It can come off as patronizing though, even if not off the bat, or even to the person.

The kid's fine. Probably a brat or something that thought he could get something out of it... that's biased of me, but I can't wrap my head around it. It could hurt pretty damn bad, but unless it got him right good in the face or the balls, that's not something to cry over.

W00ty32

Jun 24, 2009
Ah, the dodgeball stories. I was at a summer camp once, and we were playing dodgeball. With tennis balls. And one of the kids was a pitcher for his baseball team.(he was 14, BTW) Needless to say, one of the kids got hit smack in the middle of his face from a ball thrown by the pitcher kid. It looked painful.