Top 100 Pokemon - From 85 to 71

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Top 100 Pokemon - From 85 to 71

The top 100 Pokemon, in reverse order. Today, we look at numbers 71-85.

Read Full Article

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Mightyena and Gardivour were in my Ruby team and I used the latter again in Alpha Sapphire. Luxray also served me well in my Diamond team. I should also give Mawile and Vanillite a chance (did thought was kinda Vanillite). I did used Butterfly in Yellow and Poliwhirl aswell.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Full Metal Bolshevik said:
This 16 pokemon list was kinda weak.

Also Poliwrath is by far the best poli pokemon, but just me or what changes is just the attitude? They look similar.
Their spiral also reverses direction. So yeah, just the attitude.

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
Poliwhirl is cute, you don't know what you're talking about :p

As for Butterfree, she brings back a lot of memories:

Brock: "You've shown me a rat, an electric rat, and a pigeon. Is that all you've got?"
Me: "Well...I've got a butterfly."
Brock: "lmao what are you gonna do with that against my rock types?"
Butterfree: "Confusion, *****!"
Me: "<3"

Edit: And how could you include Butterfree and not mention the emotional journey that was Butterfree in the cartoon? Everything Ash went through with him was nuts for a kid: the excitement of Ash's first catch, leveling Caterpie to Metapod, protecting him from the Beedrills, trading Butterfree away only to regret it immensely, and finally letting Butterfree go with the cute pink Butterfree so they could mate. Which, by the way, will kill Butterfree D:

That was a cry-worthy moment for a child.

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008

Also Poliwrath is by far the best poli pokemon, but just me or what changes is just the attitude? They look similar.
From the article:
"We decided not to limit our top 100 to just the most valuable in battle - although that was certainly a factor for some. Our list includes our favorites, and looks at factors such as strength, cuteness, coolness, icon status, and design - and today's list includes a little from each category."

It's not supposed to be a list of just the most powerful. Many people like things that aren't the best, but they like them anyway. Mareep may not be the best electric type, but I loved having him when I played years ago. And Espeon can be down right dangerous to more powerful Psychic types if you let her learn Bite, a dark attack, as an Eevee before she evolves.

spartenX

Oct 2, 2009
huh, got to say I'm surprised to see vanilite on here considering it was one of the most mocked designs of gen 5. hoping excadrill shows up later in the list, he was definitely the coolest non-legendary from that gen.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
spartenX said:
huh, got to say I'm surprised to see vanilite on here considering it was one of the most mocked designs of gen 5. hoping excadrill shows up later in the list, he was definitely the coolest non-legendary from that gen.
You mispelled Zoroark.

That fox is a freaking god. Lost count of how many times I've beaten someone in PvP because what they thought was my Haxorus was actually my flamethrower wielding fox.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011

At least competitively, Politoed is the most valuable. Pure water typing allows it to be more defensive, and more importantly, has the hidden ability drizzle which summons rain on entry (instead of wasting a turn and moveslot on rain dance). Rain allows certain Pokemon to gain health, speed, or recover status (depending on ability), cancels out unsavoury weather (sun, sand, etc, that your opponent may want up), makes thunder hit for 100% accuracy, keeps fire and solarbeam users at bay, and powers up water attacks. Politoed is the only Pokemon to have drizzle besides Kyogre, so it has a monopoly on being the best non-legendary wing-man for a rain team that takes advantage of rain being up.

He may have the 'tude, but poor Poliwrath has been largely discarded in competitive play.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
monkeymangler said:
spartenX said:
You mispelled Zoroark.

That fox is a freaking god. Lost count of how many times I've beaten someone in PvP because what they thought was my Haxorus was actually my flamethrower wielding fox.
Zoroark like Ninetales is one of those pokemon it's impossible not to instantly love. Both of them are badasses. Now, those two and Glaceon had better place at least in the top 20

gonenow3

May 2, 2015
monkeymangler said:
spartenX said:
You mispelled Zoroark.

Team preview has been a thing since gen 5 the first generation that had Zoroak. There has never been a time where you could fake people out with a Zoroak. Plus Fairy checks both Haxorus and Zoroak so its kinda useless to pretend to be one rather than the other.

J.McMillen said:

From the article:
"We decided not to limit our top 100 to just the most valuable in battle - although that was certainly a factor for some. Our list includes our favorites, and looks at factors such as strength, cuteness, coolness, icon status, and design - and today's list includes a little from each category."

It's not supposed to be a list of just the most powerful. Many people like things that aren't the best, but they like them anyway. Mareep may not be the best electric type, but I loved having him when I played years ago. And Espeon can be down right dangerous to more powerful Psychic types if you let her learn Bite, a dark attack, as an Eevee before she evolves.
Espeon has base 65 attack and base 115 Special attack there is literally NO reason to ever teach it bite when it can learn signal beam and shadow ball both of which deal more damage and are generally all round more useful to have in a given situation. Plus that's not even why you'd ever use a Espeon its either used for Screen support or Baton passing. It doesn't need to be an offensive threat.

If you're talking casually then there is no reason to use any other pokemon but your starter unless its X or Y in which case the free Lucario and Farfetch'd is always your best choice. Using more than 1 pokemon is pretty much the more difficult way to play gen 1-5 so going into that situation is kind of pointless.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
gonenow3 said:
J.McMillen said:

From the article:

Espeon has base 65 attack and base 115 Special attack there is literally NO reason to ever teach it bite when it can learn signal beam and shadow ball both of which deal more damage and are generally all round more useful to have in a given situation. Plus that's not even why you'd ever use a Espeon its either used for Screen support or Baton passing. It doesn't need to be an offensive threat.
Just a note from someone who was deep into breeding Eevees for eveolution. You never want to evolve a male Eevee into a Espeon, not a female Eevee in to an Umbreon. Any Eeveelution that specifically requires high special attack and defense, like Espeon, Glaceon, Vaporeon, Leafeon should always be female, as females have higher native special attack and special defense stat growth. The opposite is true for Eevees who specialize in direct fighting like Umbreon specifically should always be male, Jolteon and Flareon too. Males almost always develop faster in base attack and defense. Apparently Sylveon depends on intended final move set though. Also female Eevees tend to end up with better speed development, where it tends to be special attack with males. At least when bread to perfect starting stats.

gonenow3

May 2, 2015
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
gonenow3 said:
J.McMillen said:

From the article:

Just a note from someone who was deep into breeding Eevees for eveolution. You never want to evolve a male Eevee into a Espeon, not a female Eevee in to an Umbreon. Any Eeveelution that specifically requires high special attack and defense, like Espeon, Glaceon, Vaporeon, Leafeon should always be female, as females have higher native special attack and special defense stat growth. The opposite is true for Eevees who specialize in direct fighting like Umbreon specifically should always be male, Jolteon and Flareon too. Males almost always develop faster in base attack and defense. Apparently Sylveon depends on intended final move set though. Also female Eevees tend to end up with better speed development, where it tends to be special attack with males. At least when bread to perfect starting stats.
Gender has nothing to do with stats outside of gen 2. In gen 2 you are somewhat correct though.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
gonenow3 said:
monkeymangler said:
spartenX said:
You mispelled Zoroark.

Team preview has been a thing since gen 5 the first generation that had Zoroak. There has never been a time where you could fake people out with a Zoroak. Plus Fairy checks both Haxorus and Zoroak so its kinda useless to pretend to be one rather than the other.

J.McMillen said:

From the article:

If you're talking casually then there is no reason to use any other pokemon but your starter unless its X or Y in which case the free Lucario and Farfetch'd is always your best choice. Using more than 1 pokemon is pretty much the more difficult way to play gen 1-5 so going into that situation is kind of pointless.
1) Even though you can tell which Poke Zoroark will come out as, how do you tell if I sent out the real Haxorus (my physical sweeper) or Zoroark? Guess right and you can do some work. Guess wrong, and my Haxorus either gets a free turn to Dance, or just Quakes your dude.

2) Haxorus also has Poison Jab to deal with pesky fairy types.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
gonenow3 said:
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Gender has nothing to do with stats outside of gen 2. In gen 2 you are somewhat correct though.
I've heard that, but in my general experience it holds true the majority of the time. I might be missing a trick for breeding for improved stat growth in specific wanted areas though, which if that's the case, I'm a little miffed I never found it. With good speed growth offensive stats tend to be more useful than defensive ones, at least with Eeveelutions, in my experience.

Dr.Helios

Mar 31, 2010
Man some people really get deep with pokemon.

Anyway, with this 16 I am going to be pissed if Zangoose doesn't eventually make it.