Top 5 Friday: Top 5 Final Fantasy Games

Snownine

Apr 19, 2010
I can pick my five favorite but it is much more difficult to pick an order for them after that. So in order of release my favorites are I(NES original), IV, VII, IX, and X. A special shout out to V and VI are certainly in order though. I just love that series so dang much!

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
cursedseishi said:
00slash00 said:
Neronium said:
My list usually pisses people off because of what my number one is:
5.) FF VI
4.) FF X-2 (don't judge me)
3.) FF X (LPing the International, which is gonna be fun)
2.) FF IX
1.) FF XII (mainly the International one since it's soooo good)

That's right XII is my favorite Final Fantasy game out of all of them.
Omnicide said:
I have to defend my love of FF XII all the time. Heck I mainly play the international one now which helps improve my points, but still people give XII too much flak if you ask me.
i didnt like final fantasy 12 but i loved final fantasy 13, so i can definitely relate, as far as constantly having to defend a game is concerned
Hell, I enjoyed BOTH Final Fantasy 12 and Final Fantasy 13 (and 13-2).

Every game had its own unique strengths, and faults, to it. It just so happens that one of FF-13's biggest faults came from the part of the fanbase that is completely obsessive, and even more anal, about their own particular FF game that anything else but it was terrible.

That, and the tutorial. 20-25 hours is too long, and the grind to branch out into other roles, that is way too long too. 13-2 thankfully fixed those problems, but it introduced extremely obtrusive DLC... its a give and take I suppose.

As for my list? No clue... Honestly I've played damn near every single Final Fantasy game out there... its hard to really list them in terms of favorite...
there wasnt any need to branch out in to other roles though. i mean, it was kind of a shame that i had to use hope the whole game because he was the best for magic, but it has easily the least amount of grinding of any jrpg ive ver played, due to level caps that were only lifted once you got past a certain part. unlike most jrpgs, you dont have to spend time grinding just so you can beat a certain boss. the only reason you ever have to grind is if you decide you want hope to be a commando or something. i actually much prefer the leveling system of 13 to 13-2 (which im in the process of playing now). the level up system of 13-2 confused me so much at first. i had to look at a bunch of tutorials and im still not 100% certain i completely get it

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Captain Sunshine said:
00slash00 said:
over the past couple decades i have tried SO hard to like final fantasy 6. i keep hearing what an amazing story is has and i want to be pulled in but i just cant get in to it, no matter how hard i try. im up to the part where im supposed to go to the floating continent and i just dont care about whats going on. maybe the story picks up after the floating continent, so so far nothing in the game has really stood out to me except the graphics, which look amazing for the time

for me personally, 7 and 10 are tied for first, with final fantasy 13 being a pretty close second (thats right haters, i fuckin LOVED final fantasy 13). the rest of the games, like final fantasy 6, i just couldnt get in to. i played final fantasy 9 until the final disc, before i just decided that i just didnt care at all about the plot or any of the characters and that probably wouldnt change by that point
You're pretty close to the World of Ruin and that's actually what a lot of people say is the less fun part of the game. It's where I stopped playing at any rate.
so in other words, if im not in to the game yet i probably never will be?

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
list wasn't half bad. VI was right where it should be. the rest are pretty interchangeable to me, but the list presented wasn't offensive for the most part. though i'm surprised VIII was there instead of IX. hatin' on IX's only going to get people riled up. it's a popular favorite. also IIE was IVJ, not V. V was V...

Snownine

Apr 19, 2010
Baronvvoltage said:
One thing I can say was VII needed to seriously be knocked down somewhere to like number 9 on a list of top ten. The game was just nothing but fan service and nothing truly innovative other than having 3D sprites. The character design was flawed, combat left a great deal to be desired, and frankly, the villain was mediocre at best. I mean come on....a whiny mom as boy complaining that his mother is a machine? So he wears a fricken trench coat and carries a nodachi. That does not, a true badass make. Oooh he killed a lil flower girl. PLEASE! Yer talking about a character offed at a point in the game where yeah, she used to be nailing a palette swapped version of your character, and we're supposed to care about her? Bull!
Now ya take a look at VI and what do you have? Innovative character design, along with actual theme music for each and every character (and believe me, there's a LOT of em), a battle system that's unmatched, and lets not mention a villain that tops all others. I mean come on....sephiroth wanted to hit a CITY with a small METEOR. Meanwhile Kefka ENDED THE WORLD. HALF WAY THRU THE FRICKEN GAME. In other words, WIN. Nuff fricken SAID.
Actually the meteor would have wiped out all life on Earth, not just Midgar. He wanted to make a crater larger than Northern Crater (which was many miles in diameter). The meteor would have devastated the planet so completely that it would have required the entirety of the Lifestream to fix it. He would then adsorb the Lifestream when the planet tried to heal. I won't argue about the relative merits of VI and VII, as I love them both and it is entirely subjective. I just wanted to clear that story point up.

ManInRed

May 16, 2010
Well what do you know, the list was all the games that came out of PS in 1997-1999. Some how I get the feeling these were the only FF games you've played, especially with that reasonless ranking of FFVIII, and this list only shows what years you were playing a lot of games.

Still, its there is always going to be some debated with this sort of list, so I shouldn't criticizes without given my list to be ridiculed over. Very well, but let's keep this simple and stick with the main franchise minus the MMO's and the ones that never left Japan on non-portable console. Yes, Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is the best damn game of them all, but you don't need me to rank it to know that.

These leaves me with a nice round number of 10 games to rank, so let me do a top 10, which I split into three tiers. Here's my favorite song from each game to listen to as you read:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1InYjqksUO0&list=PLD8D4C57EC59606B2

The Bottom Tier

Look, I've playing hundreds of RPG's and Final Fantasy games aren't that special or horrible. Its the consistent quality of these games that make me keep playing them, so while I am about to bash the worse Final Fantasy games, I don't think they're that far off from others in the series.

10) FFIX

The game built to be an homage to the rest of the series comes off much more like a parody. Zidane even spouts out cheesy anime life lesson lines like Bang Shishigami, but sadly this game takes itself way too seriously to work as a farce. This makes all those allusions to previous games for someone that played them, redone. Add to this one of the weakness villains of the series and the plot falls apart. Had they force more on the original elements of mortality and growing old I think the story would have work much better.

Oh but now I'm beating around the bush, why this is the worse FF game is the game play. It's way too easy. Even bosses can be killed in a couple hits, and you get a 4 man party. Healing is also too easy, and with Auto-Regen and Auto-Potion you can be fully heal by any attack hitting the party. The only credit I can give this game is that character growth is asymmetrical and encourages you to use party members the plot is currently focusing on throughout the game. Also the Chocobo side mini-game pretty fun.

Still, there no question, this is the worse Final Fantasy game. If this is you favorite, please play the older games this one copies, if you like this game you'll love FFIV and FFVI.

9) FFXII

So I think nine's combat was empty, and twelve gives use something slightly better: combat plays itself. The gambit system kind of takes the player out of the game, and the old MMO tactic of Tank/Attacker/Healer works the entire game. The license grid is also far too easy to master, which also makes all the characters identical.

Story wise, I also hate the game. There's a full world to explore sure, but most of the characters aren't really developed and end the game as they begun, there isn't even any real rising/falling action in the main quest. It's pretty damn forgettable, though I do like Balthier, he's in the much better FF Tactics remake.

8) FFVIII

So much potential this game, you can see the combat system and story was trying to combine elements of FFVI and FFVII, and boy did it completely fail. First piece of advice: give me another way to build magic other than Draw, surely there are shops selling this stuff. The random encounters are also more interesting that boss battles, and animation times for moves is sooo long.

The plot is focus on a love story, as childish as a bad manga and with all the emotion show in Star Wars Episode II. There are two love stories where both sides basic just say: looks like things are arrange for us to be together, so why not? And there no interaction with either relationship, though Rinoa was at least made very likable. The plot beyond that is a time loop and everyone has amnesia, so it literally goes no where.

Middle Tier

I'm splitting this into tiers, because I think the different between games in each tier is so small I wanted to point out major groupings. So these are the average Final Fantasy games.

7) FFXIII

Worse of the bunch is the most recent. You might have heard complaints about its oh 20 hour long tutorial. Now FFVI technically spent 20 hours of the game as a tutorial too, but by jumping between its very large cast who all had unique abilities before bringing them all together for the main story. FFXIII gives you a few hours to learn the same basic skill, and tries to tell a story backwards to make everything more confusing than it should be. Very slow to get going. But it does pick up and is actually fair deep and unique combat system when you get into it.

The main plot, is the same as FFX, only the villain's and hero's motivations are confusing. But you know what, FFXIII-2 has an amazing plot, is exciting from the start and improve depth of combat to make me rank it in the top tier. So play this game if only to get you ready for its much better sequel.

6) FF

The original let's you pick a start party based on classes, which means every time you play the game things might go about differently. The story is pretty generic since all the heroes are basically blank heroes doing the quest they were destine to perform. Still, they manage to keep the villains interesting and make everything come together in the end. I still like to pretend I'm following 8-bit Theater plot though.

5) FFV

The game job classes were push as far as they could go, until the tactics games, and I guess FFX-2 if that counts. Despite how customizable the characters were, these were actual characters involved in a long plot trying to kill an evil that supposedly can't die and running into the end of multiple worlds as they jump through different dimensions, which ironically explains how the Final Fantasy series operates in relation ship to each other. While you can master all the job classes faster than other games, you are constantly forced to alter your party to contend with the foes you must face.

4) FFIV

I might have been trying to get the numbers to line up with these last two. So this is the game that created Active Time Battle, where RPG's stop waiting turns and each character acts as fast as they could. The cast was all unique characters and not just job class trees, another big change to the series and RPG's. It is a fun story, about a Dark Knight seeking redemption, which is echoed in the allies that join him in different ways. What's interesting is everyone in the story has different goals and are not necessarily all working together, but occasionally find themselves working against the main villains, who actually seem like they are winning things.

Top Tier

These games are all great, and I have a hard time ordering them. What all these games have is some of the most memorable casts in any game, atmosphere developing plots, fun mini-games, a well structure learning curve, and combat systems with surprising depth allowing you to over power enemies or beat even the strongest foes without learning magic, keeping initial equipment, and remaining at lowest possible level. I mention before that if my ranking included any game that had the name Final Fantasy, then 5th would be FFXIII-2 and 1st would be FFTactics. Here are the three in the middle as best as I can rank them. So I'm going to just gush.

3) FFX

You are trying to kill Cthulhu, and there's a big secret to the main quest Tidus and the player are ignorant of. But that's alright, because what the story is really about is the different characters interacting as they take on this quest, and I love and recall all of them. The Sphere Grid makes it possible for any character to learn every move, but is also restrictive enough that you are encouraged to trade characters often in battle like Pokemon, so there is a real sense of working together. You can also summon Aeons, which get their own leveling system. The only reason I rank this game lower then the next ones is its short, 20 hours of main game play next to 80 hours the other have. Still, that's a full fun game in time it takes to get FFXIII to get going.

2) FFVI

Kefka. Not enough? Muhaha. Castle submarine. Ghost train. Interceptor. The woman contemplating abortion. The man attempting suicide after the world goes to hell because of what his curiosity put into motion and now there is nothing anyone can to do fix it.

Terra and the other heroes are trying to understand who they are, while Kefka is trying to teach them there is no meaning to their pathetic lives. A rebel force using a new found power of magic to topple an evil empire, lead by men trying to become gods.

1) FFVII

Final Fantasy VII captures mood better than any game I can think of, much thanks to its amazing sound track. The one happy theme, played whenever things are looking up, is probably best known for being playing in the most famous death scene -you know if you don't know it already I'm not going to spoil it.

The game also hammers on a lot of real world issues, with a very liberal leaning, so conservative will probably prefer FFVI. The heroes are a team of echo terrorists, that blow up two sibling towers in the largest city on Earth, control by a world power that uses new found energy source as an all powerful weapon that is destroying the planet. What's this global warming, terrorism, fear mongering, poor being undermined by corporate corruption? A bit ahead of its time topical perhaps.

Of course the real plot revolves around trying to catch one of the most well develop villain of any Final Fantasy games, who goes at least four separate phases of evilness, ending on Lavos. But he's most remember not for what he is, but what he takes away. Cloud's character arch also defines how players feel when playing an RPG, when it makes his own revelation something that echoes back to how the player played the game.

Though I guess, based on our attire, I always saw myself as Vincent.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and such, but when you start the list with FF8 and 5, I'm not going to listen to your opinion without laughing at it. >_> Those are hands down the worst stories short of X-2 that have been in an FF game.

Mine shows a definite favoritism, but screw it:
5) VII
4) IV
3) VI
2) Tactics
1) XII Zodiac Job System (fixes every single issue in original version)

I love me some Ivalice. Also, for personal amusement, here's the bottom five(worst):

5) VIII
4) Mystic Quest
3) XIII
2) X-2
1) XIV -This game was literally an atrocity on mankind.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Tiamattt said:
Darks63 said:
aeric90 said:
I turned this off when the mistake of equating FFV with the NA release of FFII was made.
I noticed that too pretty glaring error for a fan of the series.

I glad he didn't do the usual thing that most FF fans do and put FF7 on a pedestal of #1 and put FF6 there instead. I know it's opinion and purely subjective but i found FF7 to have an anticlimatic final battle. The final battle was easymode if you had powered up to defeat the optional weapon bosses.
Um....all of the final bosses are easy mode if you powered up to beat the optional bosses. Those guys are always a lot harder then the final boss, the fact that they give huge rewards for beating them just makes things even easier. So that's not really a FF7 thing, just saying.
It was more than just that I also didn't feel all that invested in the story either. It really felt like the main motivation besides stopping meteor was the avenging Aerith and i never really cared that much for her so yeah.

but your right every FF since 5 has had those hard as balls optional bosses.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
Yeah this was a pretty safe list. And the masterpiece that is Final Fantasy IX continues to not get the recognition it deserves. Also, nice click bait in the thumbnail.

Buffoon1980

Mar 9, 2013
Omnicide said:
aeric90 said:
I have to defend my love of FF XII all the time. Heck I mainly play the international one now which helps improve my points, but still people give XII too much flak if you ask me.
I'm still not sure how I feel about XII. It does many things better than any other FF game before or since, IMO (the character designs, the world design, the voice acting, the dialogue), but it just doesn't manage to resonate with me the way other FF's do.

My list? I've posted it in just about every other forum on the net, so I might as well do it here :p

1: VIII
2: VII
3: XIII
4: X
5: IX

I really, really loved XIII. I acknowledge most of the complaints people had, they're valid, but I guess I don't play FF games for the same reasons as a lot of other people. Anyway, while I'm here, I'm just gonna list the others in order, since I love doing that, what with my OCD and all.

6: X-2
7: XII
8: XIII-2

And, actually, I'm going to leave it there. I have played IV and VI to completion, but I don't feel qualified to comment on them. The thing is, I'm pretty sure that VI would be near the top of my list, if not at the very top, if I'd played it when it first came out. Couldn't really do that in Australia, though. I recognise the brilliance of it, I just didn't play it at the right time. I've played I-III on emulators, but not enough to really have an opinion. I've never played Tactics, something which I will remedy soon, as I have the PSP version sitting right here. And finally, I don't think anyone really counts XI or XIV, both of which I have played briefly.

Anyway, of the 8 games I've ranked, I want to make it clear that only XIII-2 would fail to get a rating of at least 9 out of 10 in my book. The other seven are just brilliant. XIII-2 left me genuinely disappointed, however. There was just no narrative thrust, the story was a bit too ridiculous, like XII it lacked resonance for me, but unlike XII I thought the story was told quite badly.

Well, that's just me!

bananafishtoday

Nov 30, 2012
My only reaction to any FF list goes like, "Let's see whether VI is #1 or not. Yay!/Boo!" So... yay!

Mine (best first) goes:

VI
VII
T
IV
V

Note that I haven't played IX, XII, or XIII. I'd really love to play IX someday, as I hear nothing but good things about it, but alas, no console. I will defend VI as the best in the series and one of the greatest games of all time to my death. I think VII's incredible hype and the backlash to that hype are both unwarranted. Also, I know it's a terrible game, but I do have a certain nostalgic affection for MQ.

00slash00 said:
over the past couple decades i have tried SO hard to like final fantasy 6. i keep hearing what an amazing story is has and i want to be pulled in but i just cant get in to it, no matter how hard i try. im up to the part where im supposed to go to the floating continent and i just dont care about whats going on. maybe the story picks up after the floating continent, so so far nothing in the game has really stood out to me except the graphics, which look amazing for the time
Imo it's not really the story so much as the characters. The plot and many of the devices it used were revolutionary in 1994, but they've since been imitated to the point that the game's story prolly seems cliched or formulaic (see also [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny].)

I think the main draw for someone playing it nowadays would be the characters, and specifically whether you like them and want to spend more time with them or not. FF6's approach is still pretty unique (ensemble cast w/ a unifying antagonist, rather than a unifying protagonist,) and the interactions within the party and the way in which the whole cast gets their own arcs and development make the game. The entire design of the game is crafted around the notion that all the playable character (except the few optional ones) are essential and have their own stories.

So... if you're not interested in the characters, I'd say it's prolly not going to change, and the game might just not be your cup of tea. (And I say this as someone who loves FF6 to pieces--I still replay it every couple years and prolly will until I die. It was very important to me growing up, especially the friendship between Celes and Terra, but I can admit it may not push everyone's buttons the right way.)

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
Loved 8 and 13, what can I say, I'm a sucker for scifi. Yes, I know 13 was garbage, I don't care>

Anyway, this was a lot better than past lists, they gave reasons and some personality to the list. I said I'd give it one more chance, and they delivered by being less... terrible. So I'll keep watching, for now.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah, FF5 was not FF2NA. And FF:Tactics was just a marketing effort on a Tactics : Ogre game (Kind of like the FF Legends, which are just rebrands of some other game I forget, a few of the gameboy Zeldas, and Super Mario 2)

9 missing is unforgivable.

And the explanation for 8 was "It starts with cool cutscene! And uhm, stuff! Which we will say nothing about. And a story we admit is total nonsense". Which was sort of the case with 7 too, but that at least had visuals.

Fordo

Oct 17, 2007
I'm older, but I kept playing religiously up to 10.

My list:

FF: II (american) - it was a good first RPG I ever played
FF: IX - To me, VIII was kind of a let down. 9 brought things back to the roots in my mind. the cut scenes were great and the characters well done. Somehow the ending got me, and it's one of the only moments in gaming history that left me breathless
FF: Tactics - Just so much to this game. Great story, great characters. Lots of different ways to play... The open ended feel is something I see a lot of present-day games reach for, but cannot pull off
FF: VII - this one is almost a tie for first. VII made the case for not only what an RPG could be, but why you should buy a PlayStation in the first place. The music and art were just incredible in how well they could set exactly the right tone for whatever stage you were in. Great varieties of monsters, awesome characters... It filled a lot of holes you had to imagine with FFIII (american) by taking advantage of the playstation.
FF: III (american) - Easily a game I could be buried with. Greatest characters I've ever read in any medium. Every emotion came out with this game. The side quests weren't even a option. You wanted to immerse yourself as much as you could into this word... and for players who loved to explore, there is a lot of payoff in this game. It's a game I'll force my kids to play like other parents might force their kids to read dr. suess books.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
i mostly approve this list, most cause & isn't #1

my top five looks like this though, since thats a thing in this thread.

5#FF 7
4#FF 9
3#FF Mystic Quest
2#FF 5
1#FF 6

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
Since everyone else is throwing their list in, VI, Tactics, IV, IX, I, XI, V, XII, VII, III, X-2, X, II, VIII, and the XIII series.

VI: Everyone mattered, even though there were lots of playable characters. Not an unlikable on in the bunch. Kefka is The Joker of the FF universe. Watching the world burn before watching the world burn was cool.

Tactics: When you max out the game played timer on a JRPG, you must like it. Nice dark backstabby story that didn't get lost in it's own ass like most current FF's.

IV: Slightly better story then 6 (as a whole), bleh combat system holds it back. Spoony bard.

IX: Good story. Proved you could have a likable non-brooding main hero. Best 3 dimensional Final Fantasy.

I: What can I say. Credit where credit's due. First I played back when I was 7 or 8.

XI: Awesome MMO ruined by grinding (back in the day, heard it's changed). Really great storylines and music, and did a really good job on making it feel like a Final Fantasy world.

V: Job system. Story was meh. Job system.

XII: What XI would feel like if it were single player. I actually dug the new layout a bit...but I hated gambits. The whole "I don't care if it's just menus, I'd just like to do some playing in the game I'm playing." Wasn't a big fan of the grid system, but was better the Sphere system in X. Likable set of characters. Except Vaan. WHY ARE YOU HERE VAAN, GO AWAY AND LET THE IMPORTANT PEOPLE HANDLE IT. Like cool pirate dude and sexy bunny chick, and...uh... ... huh. I know there was at least a third....hmmm....

VII: Overrated horribly. Meh story. Meh combat system. Meh music (alright, yes Sephiroth's music is the best boss theme. Too bad people have frikkin absolutely killed it by playing it every five seconds), villain was boring, and the ending was too damn vague. I got done and was like "WTF just happened?". ... Yes, I cried when Arieth died, shut up.

III: Job system. Story was kinda scattered. Eh, it's a NES game, kind of to be expected. but hey, I hit dudes 25 times.

X-2: Really? Yes really. Yes the game was goofy, but I just saw it as an expansion to X then a true sequel. Made it more bearable for some reason. You got the job system (yeah, it goes by a different name in the game. Its still the job system), and I dug the mini-game puzzle thing the had (not blitzball, the other thing).

X: Just...ugh. Garbage. Only character I liked was Kamarhi, cause he kept his mouth shut most of the time. The combat was...actually alright. I liked the idea of being able to rotate your whole team in to deal with weaknesses. Too bad it became pointless once you broke the stupid sphere system. One decent song in the whole bog. (Zanarkand). I. HATE. BLITZBALL. And dodging lightning. I did both in my "ultimate" save. Why. Why did I do that. I will look back 20 years from now and mourn the time I spent doing that. Wait, what am I saying, I'm doing that NOW.

II: Guess they felt they needed to do something different back then. No. They didn't.

VIII: Crap story, crap music (except Man with Machine Gun), crap combat system (Draw system can die in a fire), and I hate every single one of the characters. Every. Single. One. Don't try to sell me on the stupid romance, either. Girl meets douchebag guy. Girl repeatedly throws herself at douchebag guy despite douchebag guy being douchebag guy. Douchebag guy saves stupid girl's life. Remains douchebag guy. BLAHGAALWIERUGLA. It's not romance, it's a girl with seriously poor self worth! When I bloody care more about the characters in the B - Story (Laguna frikkin rocks. Now THERES YOUR FRIKKIN ROMANCE STORY.), you have a problem.

XIII - Pure and utter garbage with nothing redeemable about it. There's really no need to go into it. Complete failure in all categories. The series has officially disappeared up it's own anus at this point. I lump its spawn XIII-2 and ...why is there going to be a 3?...whatever. I lump it with it, because despite assurances that it's much approved from the original, I don't care enough about the original (read: at all) to play the sequels.