Top 5 Friday: Top 5 First Person Shooters

SmoshGames

Feb 1, 2013
Top 5 First Person Shooters

This week, Matt discusses the five first person shooters that define the genre.

Watch Video

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
Pretty solid list, the only thing I would have put in here was Painkiller: Black Edition. That game KICKED ASS!

But all in all a really good list.

Conner42

Jul 29, 2009
Battlefield 3 and Far Cry 3?

Whatever, I suppose...

Counter Strike is a bit of an acquired taste.

Half Life 2 is a decent choice I suppose.

But Battlefield 3 and Far Cry 3?

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
Mmm. Mostly modern military stuff. Personally I say original DOOM, Serious Sam, Unreal all the way.

But you misused the word "Literally". This... This is unforgiveable.

Wolcik

Jul 18, 2009
Love the editing on this one - fluid flow through all. Made me want to play CS XD

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I'd take out Battlefield 3, and put in the first Modern Warfare but besides that, it's a decent enough list. And having Half Life 2 at number one should make people here happy anyway.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I miss Lisa Foiles

Filler, filler lengthen post lengthen post...
Snobby opinionated statement
Yay Modern Warfare wasn't on the list! Suck it you piece of shit franchise.

Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, like every 'top five' list everywhere this show is entire subjective and heavily based on personal taste. Little point and no value in these kind of things. Unimpressed by both this and the last episode, so count me out as far as this new 'contribution' is concerned.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Goldeneye doesn't hold up? Ok then, you tell me another game that lets duel wield fucking rocket launchers, laser guns, and lets me fool around with a watch laser!

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
I wanted some Bioshock somewhere on the list but I like most the games on the list.

bravetoaster

Oct 7, 2009
Does TF2 generally not get recognized as being an FPS? Aside from Wolfenstein/Doom, I'd not really played any FPS games until I got the Orange Box and became hooked on TF2 (although it's since become a hat store instead of a game... but it was a fun, well-balanced game for those couple of years).

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
Meh, if you're going to do a Top 5, it needs to be a zany top 5, Lisa Foiles style. This is just boring an uninspired.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Welp, glad to see Lisa Foiles has made a comeback as three geeky guys. And really sick of these lists appearing everywhere. I mean top 5 FPS's how vague can you get, its a hole entire genre, how about top 5 military FPS's (spunk-gargle-wee-wee)? I dunno I just prefer something more insightful, than just someones opinion and why it is their opinion, based on their own aquired tastes. Jesus Christ that doesn't make any sense!

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Valagetti said:
Welp, glad to see Lisa Foiles has made a comeback as three geeky guys. And really sick of these lists appearing everywhere. I mean top 5 FPS's how vague can you get, its a hole entire genre, how about top 5 military FPS's (spunk-gargle-wee-wee)? I dunno I just prefer something more insightful, than just someones opinion and why it is their opinion, based on their own aquired tastes. Jesus Christ that doesn't make any sense!
Agreed. This was an insipid subject, even by "top 5" show standards. Nothing about the choices were particularly remarkable, and the games weren't even presented in an interesting way. If a video can't even hold my attention for just 5 minutes, there is a problem.

"Top 5 religious games"...now that would hold my attention, if only because it is a real challenge that it forces the presenters to do some serious research and persuasive writing (if only to find that Neverhood is number 1).

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
Far Cry 3 is the most least immersive, casual, boring, first person shooter I have ever played. It has button prompts everywhere, terrible AI (compared to Far Cry 2) and forced RPG elements to extend gameplay time. The only good thing it has going for it is the pretty visuals and the pretty good script. Goldeneye aged horribly.

Could have been a good list but you are missing good games like Serious Sam, TimeSplitters 2 and STALKER: Shadow Of Chernobyl. Lisa Foiles was only interesting because she bounced around in tight clothing, her Monkey Island video was the best one because of this.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Didnt anyone else found Battlefield 3 slugish? Like how Bad Company 1 felt slugish and then BC2 fixed it? Im hoping that it was because of the fact that it was a new engine and that BF4 fixes some of the issues.

Im sad that there is no Goldeneye-Perfect Dark-Timesplitters type of game in the list, and I do think that Call of Duty 4 also deserves a spot.

With all that said this Top 5 could have chosen a better topic to talk about, there are so many Top 5 or even Top 10 FPS lists that this doesnt became all that interesting to watch

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
So you go from inspiring classic to modern shooter because of the graphics back to inspiring classic. What ever. I hope this isn't the real top 5 because it's pretty boring. Play some Metroid Prime dammit!

Edit: I do believe Half-Life 2 does deserve a place on a the top 5 list though.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Half Life 2. What a surprise...

Well I guess no matter how overrated I think it is, there will always be tons of people who call it the greatest thing ever.

Far Cry 3 seemed like an odd choice too. I mean it was good but not THAT good Neither was Battlefield 3.

I probably would have put the original Halo at number 5 and also put Bioshock at number 1.

Goldeneye would also make the list for me.

Doneeee

Dec 27, 2011
Eh, I would've swapped out Far Cry 3 and BF3 for Doom and Bioshock. Besides that this episode had a decent enough list.