Top 5 Friday: Top 5 First Person Shooters

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
Well this wasn't entirely bad, just boring.

For me, I sorta liked the subject of the last video because of how specific the topic was. Topics about a specific game could lead to diverse and varied list themes.

That is what I liked about Lisa Foiles' Top five lists. The Majority of topics were topics that weren't regularly covered by top# lists. She also had an entertaining personality and went way more in depth about why it was her choice and rarely sounded like she was aping someone else' reasoning made hundreds of times before.

Top 5 first person shooters? I mean really, who else guessed that he would put Battlefield/Far cry 3 before the video started. So plain and regular.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
My list:

5. Modern warfare 1. I despise what the series has become, but at the time that was a really fun game, and one of the first modern shooters to really hold up.
4. Quake (series). This hurts me a little bit, as I was a unreal tournament man myself. But I cannot deny that this series is the one which started it all, had the bigger impact, and the bigger following.
3. Bioshock. I don't need to explain this one, do I?
2. Battlefield (series). Being a huge fan of the series I have countless hours invested into this game. The game made somekind of innovative progression with each installment, and every game in the series is to this day still hilariously fun to play. There just isn't any other game out there with the "battlefield" moments. Where else can you crash your jeep onto a tank, skyrocket into the air to hit a low helicopter, with a jet landing on top of you soon after for good measure?
1. Source (everything). Yes, I know this is a complete cop-out, but this list wouldn't be very fun if it was correct. It would instead look like this: Left for Dead, Portal, Team Fortress 2, Counter Strike and Half life 2. Valve just knows how to do their shit.

Honorable mentions goes out to Borderlands for being absolutely kickass, and Goldeneye 64 because everyone loves it for some unknown reason (ok, its a little bit fun I guess..fine, a lot of fun!).

Halo disqualified for its horrendously bad community.

Fiairflair

Polymath
Oct 16, 2012
Not a bad list, and I suppose I should be happy that the geniuses at Valve took first place. But surely TF2 and Painkiller should feature. I loved Goldeneye in its day, but the controls stop it deserving a spot on a top five list.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
For the most part, I can agree with everything on the list. I also agree with Goldeneye. As much as I loved the game, it's not all that special beyond being a great amount of fun and legitimizing FPS games on consoles. You can go on and on about how it was so much fun, but objectively it really didn't do much. Before anyone says it, no, Goldeneye wasn't the first FPS to use weapon reloading mechanics. It was Marathon in '94.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Honestly, hard to find a list of top 10 fps's or whatever without HL2. It was groundbreaking back in '04 but it didn't age well. Personally not agreeïng with the list but it's personal taste so.

My top 5 would be this:
Painkiller
Serious Sam
Killzone
Borderlands 1 and 2
Metro 2033

janjotat

Jan 22, 2012
I like the new series from smosh, its a good list. Kinda disagree with Battlefield 3 though, it is the weakest in the Battlefield series.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Battlefield 3? I know it LOOKS good, but did you even play 1942?

Also Half-life 2 is not great. Even when I played it in '04, I found it dull and limiting.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
This guy is a doofus. He REALLY wanted to put CoD and every CoD predecessor and successor on that entire list.

You can't have a top5 FPS list without DOOM. It's like having a top 5 comedians of all time and not putting down Richard Pryor it's stupid and anyone that doesn't include Doom or Pryor should be ignored as such.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Phuctifyno said:
No Goldeneye. No point.

Hrumph.
Goldeneye doesn't stand up very well - especially with the N64 controller being the three-pronged made-for-squids thing it is. But I'm inclined to agree; at the least Perfect Dark should've made its way onto the list. Honestly, if I was making a list of most influential first-person shooters of all time (not quality-wise, just influence on the genre), it'd be DOOM, Goldeneye, Halo, and Call of Duty 4. I can't decide of Unreal of Battlefield 2 would get a 5th place (Unreal Tournament 3 set the standard for years, but the influence wore out as console shooters gained legitimacy... Battlefield 2's impact kind of continues to this day).

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
0takuMetalhead said:
Honestly, hard to find a list of top 10 fps's or whatever without HL2. It was groundbreaking back in '04 but it didn't age well. Personally not agreeïng with the list but it's personal taste so.

My top 5 would be this:
Painkiller
Serious Sam
Killzone
Borderlands 1 and 2
Metro 2033
No it isn't. For him it's about credibility or it should be. If you measure games by personal enjoyment then that opens this list up to absolutely ANYTHING because why we enjoy something doesn't need to translate to quality/influence. By your standard I could put Daikatana or SIN on this because they were games that me and my dad played together and those were times I enjoyed more then alot of games that should come before those two. Were they at all influential to the direction of FPS's no but they were times I enjoyed, see the problem?

Also no one that knows video game FPS's fills their top 5 list with Counter Strike, Farcry 3 AND certainly not Battlefield 3! If he wanted to put Counter Strike or Battlefield on top 5 multiplayer FPS shooter of all time fine whatever, but it isn't. Here are some things that ANY game journalist worth his salt would put before Battlefield 3

Halo
Bioshock
System Shock
Battlefield 1942 (or Vietnam)
Doom
Duke Nukem 3d
Wolfenstein
Medal of Honor
Call of Duty 1-3 (or Modern Warfare)
STALKER
Painkiller
Metro 2033
Brothers in Arms
Rainbow Six
EDIT: Deus Ex!
etc. (I'm forgetting more then a few)

top 5 lists should always be measured by how much it changed the field of related topic or refined it, not by your own personal bullshit enjoyment. Sure they can be controversial and you don't have to agree but putting Battlefield 3 on a Top 5 FPS of all time list is just ass ignorant and disrespectful of the history of video games. This guy clearly shouldn't be featured on the escapist because he's way out of his depth.

jamesbrown

Apr 18, 2011
This was boring, not researched, and just not presented well. He focuses too much on the graphics, which are important; but not what defines a game, also there are a few grammatical errors. You have a week to make a well thought out video, do research, don't just be the people who are handed a topic, turn on a camera, and blab what comes to your mind; you guys come from YouTube, but that is no excuse; you must put more effort into it.

ALSO: SmoshGames, as an user on the escapist; become active in the community, 2 posts; REALLY, and those two posts are your videos, pathetic.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
jamesbrown said:
This was boring, not researched, and just not presented well. He focuses too much on the graphics, which are important; but not what defines a game, also there are a few grammatical errors. You have a week to make a well thought out video, do research, don't just be the people who are handed a topic, turn on a camera, and blab what comes to your mind; you guys come from YouTube, but that is no excuse; you must put more effort into it. Also Escapist, why are you hosting content you don't own; the copyright was from Alloy Digital.

ALSO: SmoshGames, as an user on the escapist; become active in the community, 2 posts; REALLY, and those two posts are your videos, pathetic.
Let's hope the escapist isn't paying them a penny for this shit content because if they are, they're not getting their moneys worth... of a penny.

Jackeno

Feb 6, 2013
SmoshGames said:
Top 5 First Person Shooters

This week, Matt discusses the five first person shooters that define the genre.

Watch Video
You can's say games that define a genre and put BF3 on the list. It hasn't really defined anything. It wasn't the first to use destruction blablabla...

This is just 5 games he likes, there's no real credit to it at all.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
Bribase said:
Um... Where is Lisa Foyles?
She's here!She's here! [http://www.youtube.com/user/TheGameStation/videos?view=0] Though she isn't doing top 5 anymore on that channel...
That is The Game Station network's main channel,she's working for them,she can't come back unless she closes her contract and signs one up with Smosh (Media?)

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Perfect Dark > Goldeneye

TimeSplitters 3 > This whole damn gen of FPS

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Can't say I approve of Generic Military Shoot 'em Up 3 being anywhere on that list. If we are talking games that defined the FPS genre today, I can think of dozens of other titles. System Shock 2, Marathon 2, Dark Forces 2, Portal, Halo: CE, Metroid Prime, and Unreal Tournament are fantastic games, and that's only off the top of my head.

Is the Escapist really going to pick this up as a video series? I can't see it competing with other, better Top 10's.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
ShirowShirow said:
Mmm. Mostly modern military stuff. Personally I say original DOOM, Serious Sam, Unreal all the way.

But you misused the word "Literally". This... This is unforgiveable.
BRO FIST!

My personal list would be:

The Unreal series (Unreal, Unreal Tournament, etc)
Serious Sam series
Golden Eye 64
Doom series
Battlefield 1942/2