Top 5 Friday: Top 5 Reasons For Star Wars Battlefront 3

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
Except we weren't acquired by Koch, we were acquired by Alloy. And if you genuinely believe that all of us losing our jobs and The Escapist no longer existing is a preferable choice to anything, frankly, I have nothing further to say to you.
Yep, i am sorry for the Koch mixup, didnt fact-check what the other poster quoting you said.
As far as loosing jobs goes, call me naive, but i believe there are lines one should not cross. I do not want you to loose your job, but if this will turn escapist into the level of service that Smosh guys put out, id rather you used your time and knowledge on something better. It is, of course, your choice to make, but that does not mean i must think its a good one.
Also, funny how this is the only time you noticed my posts :p. You rock on podcasts.

Evil Smurf said:
at least Ian and Anthony are not in the video. They can go eat a bag of dicks.
Well, the rumour is, they are gays, so they kind of already do....

Doneeee

Dec 27, 2011
I'm not exactly a smosh fan but I have seen some videos from the smosh games channel before. Those videos I have seen were definitely more enticing than this one. Anyways the list was pretty decent.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Phlakes said:
A few weeks ago this site was bought by Alloy Digital, who also owns Smosh. This is apparently them trying to cross promote or something.
I did not realise that, it makes sense now.

Susan Arendt said:
Except we weren't acquired by Koch, we were acquired by Alloy. And if you genuinely believe that all of us losing our jobs and The Escapist no longer existing is a preferable choice to anything, frankly, I have nothing further to say to you.
I definitely wasn't one of those suggesting this should be the case, I'd just like to say I now understand why a Smosh video is on The Escapist. I'd like to take back most of what I said in my original post about that it shouldn't be here.

I definitely want The Escapist to survive, and for all of you to stay!

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
When there are so many modern or near future shooters on the market having Star Wars Battlefront 3 would be a nice way to freshen up the shooter market. Drive an Abrams around, whatever, been there done that, drive an AT-AT sign me up.

With Disney having a love of money I'm holding out at least a thin hope that with all the madness that will hit with new movies that Disney might see a new Battlefront game as a way to make even more of their money back from Star War. Between the popularity of shooters and Star Wars it's hard to imagine the game not making money.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
To everyone who's commenting that we've "sold out" or are being "forced" to run Smosh content...folks, please calm down. Sometime sites cross-run content. When WarCry was up and running, we frequently ran content back and forth between it and The Escapist. Smosh Games has plenty of content, so we thought why not give some a try? We've had a Top 5 show on before, as many of you have mentioned, so we thought we'd see if you liked this one. If you do, that's great! More content to entertain you. If you don't, we'll stop running it. It really is just that simple, I promise. I just ask that you give all new content a fair shake - no matter what its source may be.

LordFish

May 29, 2012
FargoDog said:
'I'm going to be talking about a game you guys probably think I talk about way too much!'

...Who are you?
^^This^^ - An introduction would have been nice.

Susan Arendt said:
Sorry about the flaming, Susan. I hope you recognize that people will only get this passionate about things they really love and it means that you and the gang are doing a great job!

Personally I didn't care for it, it wasn't very thought provoking and the sudo enthusiasm was grating. However The Escapist has THE BEST quality videos and articles on the internet so any new content has some big shoes to fill.

Thank you for your continued hard work and dedication.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
To be honest I think the problem was that "Battlefront II" garnered very mixed reception. I've heard a lot of fanatical fans, but also a ton who say that they thought the game was both terrible, and most importantly pointless. I'm not sure how much money it would make when you consider liscencing concerns and everything else.

The power of the Star Wars liscence is also debatable, I look at ToR as an example of a game that should have raked in tons of cash if everything about the liscence is to be believed, but it didn't, indeed it's barely hanging on.

To be honest there are old Star Wars franchises I'd like to see more of. Another SINGLE PLAYER Old Republic RPG, An updated relaunch of Star Wars Galaxies, etc... but for one reason or another none of those are going to happen either. Knights Of The Old Republic II was a mess, and SoE is simply put cheap and doesn't want to put in the dev time or take care of their products, something starts failing they swing an axe at it instead of working on it and the problems and/or producing new content.

Rather than trying to resurrect Battlefront, which I don't think ever really had quite that big a following, or any of the other things I mention above for that matter, I think they should largely move on to other IPs.

If I was actually going to try and develop a "Star Wars" project, I'd probaby be looking towards MMORPG space, as much of a burn as ToR was (making it unlikely), I think the key to doing such a game "right" is to have both ground and space components in the same game, as well as taking a long term approach towards making money. I look towards the relative resurrection of "Star Trek Online" which went from nearly dead, to a Juggernaut once they got it fixed up, it having just won a big FTP award despite being 3 years old, and gotten big enough where we're now having queues form to login and enough players/ships to blot out the stars at times. I kind of suspect this was because despite the stumbling that the devs understood that the key to the property was to have both focus on the people and their adventures and the ships, in ToR they messed it up by having everything focused on the ground, with the ship combat being turned into a tunnel shooter mini-game. For any big science fiction MMO you need to have both (which Battlefront provided but only as a dedicated shooter ironically), and it kind of burns that before SWG went down it actually had the two interacting where you could fly your ships above the planets people were walking around on.... looking at this is the place science fiction MMORPGs need to pick up from, the person who does that is going to make a bundle.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
I got swayed into this thinking Lisa Foiles was back. It's kind of disappointing, but these guy is alright, not bad at all. Not obnoxious is already a plus compared to the mass of game-related top content creators out there. It's odd that you mention that we should already know you talk too much about Battlefront II, but reading I guess it's something to do with previous videos on youtube. If this is going to be a regular thing here, then I suggest reducing references to earlier work not available on the escapist.I haven't seen the other guys in action, but Lasercorn, the eye-widening at times is kind of freaky. Just some random thought.

Ah, Lisa Foiles, I miss quirky, funny you.

Spacefrog

Apr 27, 2011
DiabloTigerSix said:
This is why we don't need another Battlefront:
http://www.fsmod.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ6zT4xq0jc

A game like that already exists as a mod and it's free.
Sure because a fan-mod of a 7 year old game looks and works better than anything a professional team with backing can do today.

You know what keep your Battlefront, the only Star wars game sequel I am interested in, is Republic Commando 2

Even if they make a Battlefront 3 we have to accept that they probably won't use the original trilogy but the prequels (and that may not even include the material from the two clone wars series) or even the new movies depending on the production time.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
"They're making a new Star Wars movie and fans aren't even sure that they want that"- What sort of Star Wars fan would you be if you didn't want more movies? Probably not much of one at all. I mean the films (all of them) are the lifeblood of the Star Wars universe, as great as all the other ancillary stuff from the comics, books, games and TV shows may be, it all stems from the films whether directly or indirectly. Thus I think its fair to say most fans are actually looking forward to the new movies and very much wanting them and that your comment is both inaccurate and annoying and indeed your whole video presentation was rather innocuous and nauseating to watch and listen to. Quite a mistake clicking on that link for sure.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Strazdas said:
MrCollins said:
So Themis sold out. sad news.
Its hard to relax knowing that your favorite website has sold out to one of the worst companies out there. sorry, cant do that. First Jimquisition was miles better than ANYTHING smosh guys have ever put out (and yes ive been following thme on youtube) and evne then Jim grew a lot real fast.
Well, thanks for the information. ill go cry some now.
You'd have preferred it if we went out of business?
I honestly don't see what their problem is, the Escapist is thriving.

OT: Welcome to the escapist, not a bad video, could use some polish but that'll take time.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Wow, really? Ok. Sorry. Does not really matter how many times it gets pushed out, Unless it has Lisa, theres really no reason to try to do the top 5 thing again.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
If done right, I think Battlefront 3 could tear many people away from TF2.

And I'm (mostly) OK with that.