Top 5 Friday: Top 5 Worst Videogame Romances

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Dishonorable mention goes to:
Wanderer and Mono -Shadow of the Colossos
Karim and Chandra -Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Ellie and Norton -Dead Space 3
Hey maybe during the time skip before DS 3 started Norton was not such a douche bag, coward, backstabber?...

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
rhizhim said:
Oh wow, that made me laugh. Partly because it's true, the same thing happened to me so I guess I can't criticize him too much. I accidently walked into the Zevran trap myself, when I thought I was just being nice.

But at least it left me with an achievement and a fond memory...
an annoyed writer said:
Yeah, I'm with the others here: getting mildly homophobic and transphobic vibes from this guy. Not to mention a totally absent understanding of the concept of romance, and what it entails. I'll give you a hint: Romance does NOT automatically equal sex, and vice-versa. Different people get different things out of it.
Thats not the vibe I'm getting here, seemed to me that the whole Pacman thing was more aimed at the assumption that he's hooking up with himself. Which I guess equates to some form of masterbation?

I agree about the whole 'romance without sex' thing though, I personally loved the whole Joker and Edi dynamic.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I thought the guy's presentation was just awful, just stumbling and slurring every other words he's speaking. He's not in front of live audiences and with 3 man rotation, I'm sure he had all the time in the world to rehearse.

But then, why bother giving constructive criticism when there are 2 other dudes doesn't do well with this content?

theyellowmeteor

Sep 9, 2012
I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE!!!

Maybe I'm not properly acquainted with the Mario universe, but are Mario and Peach SUPPOSED to have a serious relationship? Is Mario really saving Peach just because he's trying to get in her pants? Do things really work that way?

I am sick of hearing this stupid thing with Mario risking his life to save the most important person in Mushroom Kingdom to be left with nothing but a peck on the nose and a pair of blue balls, and I also think it worsens the opinion on genders: women are a bunch of oblivious bubbleheads who friendzone nice guys in favor of douchebags that will most likely fail to commit, or provide, or whatever you're supposed to do in a relationship for it to work, and men are insatiable roosters who want nothing more than getting familiar with as many cock-docks as possible. What if they have nothing in common, if we must really give personality to two constructions of ones and zeros that exist solely for the purpose of one being kidnapped so that the player can jump on turtles with the other anyway. Or maybe Mario declines any advances or rewards from Peach because he's not into women, or because he has to remain a lonely hermit hero, as some obscure religious cult demands that a good-doing plumber-monk should be, I mean this situation doesn't seem to be explained, so the possibilities are endless. But no, we just stick to this idiotic presumption that Peach just can't get the point that Mario wants to put his little plumber in her. If he's so sexually deprived he puts the vague possibility of having sex before his life, why doesn't he just screw a mushroom boy, or jerk off?

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
Yeah, it's funny. I don't think Nintendo's ever, it a quarter century, ever actually clarified Mario and Peach's relationship.

Gunjester

Mar 31, 2010
Gregory Wollf said:
So if someone is against same sex marriage we call them a homophobe. If someone is against cross species marriage we call them a xenophobe. What do we call someone who is against human / robot marriage... and isn't it the same thing as the other two? If you're all about fair sexual preference then what's wrong with Joker and Edi? For that matter, what's wrong with pacman and pacman? Your position makes no sense.
Cross-species marriage is still a biological relationship, so human/robot marriage/love - especially if you believe in souls - is essentially masturbation but with an interactive object. If you fall in love with a robot you're loving the illusion of a personality and essentially sleeping with a hyper-advanced sex-doll. Once again if you believe in souls and their connection to love, it's only real love if there's a connection in souls so...yeah...

Anyways, as for pacman and ms. pacman, although Dorkly made the drag joke before and Robot Chicken already pointed this out with the Disney crew, it's just sexual narcissism, not a regular same-sex union.

And he said he was cool with same-sex marriage, he never said he wasn't a xenophobe or a robophobe or whatever.

Gunjester

Mar 31, 2010
ShirowShirow said:
Yeah, it's funny. I don't think Nintendo's ever, it a quarter century, ever actually clarified Mario and Peach's relationship.
Clarified hers and Bowser's as a sexual one with at least one child...

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
James Sunderland and Maria in Silent Hill 2?

Yeah, I'm drawn to you, but your entire existence is based on my need to punish myself by seeing you get violently murdered. Repeatedly. And in the end, I may murder you myself because I'm tired of punishing myself. Or I may decide I never really deserved to punish myself, in which case your reward for my actually pursuing a relationship with you is apparently to get the disease that killed my wife.

Counseling ain't gonna fix this one, folks.

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
Jachwe said:
You see the author always gives reasons why he put the couple or the individual in the spot.
I did't say he gave no reasons just that they are really poor.

Jachwe said:
The Dragon Age romance was there [edit] because of how easily you could trip into the romance. Most people who want to derail this point will argue how you could not have misinterpreted the advances of our dashing elven assasin but as a matter of fact there is quite a vocal minority on the internet that begs to differ. Quite a few people just stumbled into this romance without wanting to. The ones assembled here are mostly quite aware how to avoid such traps but let us not fool ouselves that we had to aquire this awarness through long hours of playing similar games and knowing how certain triggers are signaled in a storyline of nonlinear storytelling. A great deal of people do not have this awarness.
This awareness how you call it would be common sense in this case. Have you seen the romance with him? It might be true that you easily give him the impression that he may has chances with you, but to sleep with him you would have to like I said ignore the dialogue and klick something or be totally stupid.

Jachwe

Jul 29, 2010
hazydawn said:
Jachwe said:
You see the author always gives reasons why he put the couple or the individual in the spot.
I did't say he gave no reasons just that they are really poor.

Jachwe said:
The Dragon Age romance was there [edit] because of how easily you could trip into the romance. Most people who want to derail this point will argue how you could not have misinterpreted the advances of our dashing elven assasin but as a matter of fact there is quite a vocal minority on the internet that begs to differ. Quite a few people just stumbled into this romance without wanting to. The ones assembled here are mostly quite aware how to avoid such traps but let us not fool ouselves that we had to aquire this awarness through long hours of playing similar games and knowing how certain triggers are signaled in a storyline of nonlinear storytelling. A great deal of people do not have this awarness.
This awareness how you call it would be common sense in this case. Have you seen the romance with him? It might be true that you easily give him the impression that he may has chances with you, but to sleep with him you would have to like I said ignore the dialogue and klick something or be totally stupid.
So we are in agreement. You see my argument was aimed at that attitude you are presenting. Thinking this awarness as I call it is commmon sense is the high stuck attitude of a self entitled gamer culture who does not reflect upon its own weltanschauung and how it works thus just being arrogant towards anyone who is not that deep into the trenches of gaming culture as oneself and understanding how choices are presented within the nonlinear storytelling of the particular genre we are currently discussing.
hazydawn said:
Jachwe said:
[...] the "i slipped into the gay romance" of Dragon Age [is] at the bottom as to mention the romance but not placing it higher or else you are the greatest homophobe ever.
Am I really understanding you correctly that your calling me "the greatest homophobe ever"?
No by no means I am calling you the "greatest homophobe ever". The "you" is the not direct "you" as in "anyone" or "someone". I am not a native speaker of the enlgish language but the english language has the use of "you" meaning "someone" but not "you in particular". This was meant as a general statment in my argument as in "if someone put the romance higher on a list this someone would be accused of being the greatest homophobe ever". Putting it further into context I stated how this list consistet of popular and recognizable choices and the same sex romance of Dragon Age is well known.
hazydawn said:
Jachwe said:
The romacne between Joker and EDI is placed there because if you spell it out it is a man loving his computer. Not regarding that EDI is an AI and in the Mass Effect universe an AI is pretty much a sentient being in contrast to a virtual intelligence.
And again his weak reasoning which is actually just: "Dude WTF it's not human! ZOMG!"
For the Pacman one it would be something like: "Dude WTF it's homo! ZOMG!"
Seeing how someone who says that the escapist is known for witty arguments is himself not that witty it hurts my heart. If you had read the post of me you are quoting from you would know better than to call the relationship of pacman as presented in the video and for the sake of the joke gay. The joke is that Pacman is literaly (look up the word if you dont know the denotation of literal) Ms. Pacman him/herself and not in love with someone else. That is not "homo" that is narcism. Look that word up. I have the suspicion you are not a native speaker and have not that broad of a vocabulary.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
Shouldn't Zelda and Link have been on this list as well? They seem to have something similar to Mario and Peach.

I actually liked Joker and EDI's relationship too. She may have been an AI, but she was also his ship and since he was the pilot it fit even better. They went through a lot together, and if you pick the synthesis ending, like I did, they end up as equals in a way.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Ellie and Norton -Dead Space 3
Exactly what I was going to say.
God that love triangle was the worst idea anyone can put in a game like Dead Space.

Not to mention .. Ellie was dumbed down into a very stereotypical and unreasonable character. Poor Isaac man.

On topic: This video was good, more depth into the reasons would suffice but he nailed Mario's and Peach's relationship. That dude deserves an award for rescuing someone with getting little to no award back for all of his rescue attempts, which he succeeds every time.
Would love to see him rage in the game

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
1. Lisa Foiles was better at this
2. This is the unfunny that is all over youtube the internet.
3. I expect better from the programming on the escapist.
4. Thank God for Jim, that man has charisma and style.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
Well. I watched expecting something well-reasoned and thought out--or failing that, funny--but I came out mostly disappointed as this video was neither. I didn't find Jovenshire as awkward in front of a camera as others did. My issues came from the content itself.

The reasoning behind these is very weak. The example with Mr. and Ms. Pac-man was superficial at best and offensive at worst. He even prefaced number five with "I have nothing against romance between two men" too, and yet the argument in #2 came off as "Ms. Pac-man is a man", considering his reliance on the "Einhorn is a MAN" joke. If he had refrained from relying on that joke to carry his reasoning this could probably have been avoided and passed off as "Pac-man is dating himself". That's less offensive, but still fallacious. It's entirely speculation based on sprite limitations in 1982. If Namco said they're separate characters, they're separate characters.

On the same line of thought, number five was a complaint about the dialogue system. It had nothing to do with the romance itself.

Additionally, his list is comprised of apples and oranges. #2 and #1 aren't even romances in the same sense as his other examples. I don't know anyone who plays Super Mario games for story or rich characterizations, and I'm not sure Pac-man and/or Ms. Pac-man have stories or characterizations to speak of. How can you possibly compare them to e.g. Dragon Age, a series that actually puts a lot of effort in attempting to have believable characters and romances?

In fact, the only entry in which he actually brushed on the chemistry between the two characters was in number four, but only barely.

In short: Didn't find it funny or insightful, and hardly talked about the intended topic. Didn't achieve what it aimed to do. Sorry bud.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Gunjester said:
ShirowShirow said:
Wait... what? Did I miss something along the way?

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
Draconalis said:
Gunjester said:
ShirowShirow said:
Wait... what? Did I miss something along the way?
I think they're referring to Super Mario Sunshine, in which Baby Bowser is ostensibly Peach's son? But it gets revealed at the end that he's not really.

ZexionSephiroth

Apr 7, 2011
Oh man... Every time I hear about romance, I die a little inside.

...Because for some reason, I can't feel love for any normal human being. And I can't even be bothered to have any kind of attraction, even sexual, without it.

So, my personal most hated romance? All real ones.

I mean, every time I see two people kissing I roll my eyes; they rarely if ever actually seem to be in any kind of "Serious Relationship". They are just freaking looking like they are playing around. No, really, the way most young people kiss in real life is way too playful to look like there's anything actually going on under the surface.

Real relationships, as I've seen them, are just a freaking game for these people.

Really, do they even know how to establish an actual dynamic to base a romantic relationship on?

That's kind of what TRUE romance SHOULD be: Two people joining together to provide a specific role to make both feel complete. The Vulnerable one finding one to Protect them, a Student and their Teacher, Leader and Follower, Two Rivals in competition, Healer and Guy who takes a lot of hits.

You know how many times I've seen one of these roles, or any role, actually played out in reality?

NEVER!

You know how many times I've seen relationships fall apart because they didn't have a role like this holding them together?

EVERY SINGLE TIME!

At least movies understand the need for a real dynamic to make a relationship work. Real people seem to be unable to understand that true love is something that is built on the bones of a relationship that actually makes both of you stronger.

Guys, I hate to say it, but I think Romance is dead.

... And it's not coming back from the grave until we learn exactly what it is we personally need out of our relationships before we pursue them.

Me? I need a girl who can keep me pointed in the right direction. Some kind of leader. One with awe inspiring confidence and determination, and is able to inspire it in me. Preferably able to lead from both the commander's tent and from the head of the army, as a great general and Warrior. And in return, I will be her most Loyal Knight, performing whatever duties she requires of me, and for the most part, working alongside her in the thick of whatever we strive towards.

... Doubt that will actually happen though. Regardless of if we're talking metaphorical or Literal...

That stuff just refuses to fly.