Top and bottom 5 FMV games of all time?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
So now that 2020 is done, I think it's only appropriate that we close out the decade with the definitive list of the 5 best and worst FMV games ever made.

Obviously the number one worst is going to go to Plumbers Don't Wear Ties, but there's still plenty of room for debate for the other 4.

So what's your list?

EDIT: I might as well put my list up here at the top.

Bottom 5 - I'm going to restrict my list to professionally published games. No need to pick on some indie guy with a camcorder.

5 - The Quiet Man - Deserves special mention for being a modern FMV game that made the spectacularly stupid decision to release without audio. The main character is deaf, you see, so the player can identify with his struggles by also withholding sound... Except he can read lips and understand sign language, neither of which are given subtitles, so you will play through the story having barely any idea what is happening any why. They did eventually release the audio as dlc, but only for second playthroughs, I believe.

4 - Zelda CD-i: Faces of Evil and Wand of Gamelon - Debated whether or not to include these games because they don't utilize live actors, but the style of the game is very much FMV, and is also called such on Wikipedia. Also, the animation and voice acting are spectacularly awful and it is easily the worst bit of software bearing the Zelda franchise name.

3 - Foxhunt - Foxhunt is incomprehensible. It's some sort of zany spy comedy, but the editing is so fast, the plot so off the wall, and there aren't any subtitles so you will have very little understanding of what is going on and why. The game is also not funny. It's painfully not funny. And it wants SO BAD to be funny, but it isn't. The gameplay is likewise incomprehensible, with almost no feedback as to whether you are making correct inputs or not. Winning the game is almost random.

2 - Man Enough - Have you ever wanted a dating sim where every. single. line of dialogue was sexual innuendo and your progress was decided by your ability to determine which of 3 terrible lines was best? No? Well too bad, now you have Man Enough. The premise is that you are terrible at dating, so you go to an agency to help you, where upon you are given the task of dating a number of women in order of being worthy of dating the head of the dating service. The game is mostly still images, but has FMV scenes here and there. This game is pain in software form.

1 - Plumbers Don't Wear Ties - Somehow still the king of bad FMV. It has the incomprehensible plot of Foxhunt, the slideshow FMV of Man Enough, and no budget. Why don't plumbers wear ties? I don't know? The main character is wearing one! Is he a plumber? Who can say! It's simply the worst. Not even debatable.

Last edited:

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
So now that 2020 is done, I think it's only appropriate that we close out the decade with the definitive list of the 5 best and worst FMV games ever made.

Obviously the number one worst is going to go to Plumbers Don't Wear Ties, but there's still plenty of room for debate for the other 4.

So what's your list?
There was an FMV FNAF clone game that might get close to take that place.

It was called: One Night, Two Crazies

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
There was an FMV FNAF clone game that might get close to take that place.

It was called: One Night, Two Crazies
He did a whole series of games like that. You can become very familiar with that developer's house if you want to.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

So what's your list?
Refresh my memory on what FMV stands for? My brain is saying Full Motion Video, which might be what you are talking about?

If so, I would say that Not For Broadcast is probably a really good example of the genre. It's been getting a lot of love lately, and is pretty damn fun to watch.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Refresh my memory on what FMV stands for? My brain is saying Full Motion Video, which might be what you are talking about?

If so, I would say that Not For Broadcast is probably a really good example of the genre. It's been getting a lot of love lately, and is pretty damn fun to watch.
Indeed, it does stand for Full Motion Video. That wonderful and awful genre of games that incorporates live action video clips into video games.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Indeed, it does stand for Full Motion Video. That wonderful and awful genre of games that incorporates live action video clips into video games.
Then if you haven't already checked it out. Not For Broadcast is suggest.

That's the first video he did of the game, they released a fuller version later, and included new content during the shutdown due to covid.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Does The Quiet Man count as an "FMV game"? It had a fair amount of beat-'em-up gameplay (which had some excellent-looking models and textures, maybe the game's only saving grace).

Best FMV game: Space Ace. Such a beautifully-animated game (you expect that from Don Bluth) and a tribute to the over-the-top sci-fi serials of the '50s.

Worst FMV game: Time Gal for the Sega CD. Annoying protagonist, completely-disconnected nonsensical levels (Space Ace got away with this by being tongue-in-cheek), horrible animation, and for some reason every "death scene" has the character portrayed as a squat little girl.

Best/Worst FMV game: Time Traveler.

It's ridiculous, it's campy, it's not even that complex- but the pseudo-holographic effect was amazing for its time, and it does have a certain corny charm to it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
  • Best FMV Game: Asura's Wrath
  • Worst FMV Game: The Power Rangers Game on Sega CD.
  • Best/Worst Game: Night Trap

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I guess Warhammer Final Liberation. Can't think of any other FMV... oh wait
Uhhh... whats it called
Uhh....
Omegaboost, its got some great fmv cutscenes.

Not the game I was trying to think of though, I can't remember its name. It was a game where you drove on a somewhat liner path as a 2d vehicle on a 3d world, I forget what it originally came out on but the PSX got a relrele.... it was the 3do, one moment.

Shit, still can't remember its name, but for the PSX release they redid the fmv cutscenes and added 2 guys in chairs in the foreground that did MST3K type commentary on a very cheesy story. I have a copy of it, but not with me at the moment.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It was Offworld interceptor Extreme.

Fucken awesome.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Best/Worst FMV game: Time Traveler.

It's ridiculous, it's campy, it's not even that complex- but the pseudo-holographic effect was amazing for its time, and it does have a certain corny charm to it.
Oh, yeah. I remember playing that.