Top Fighting Games in Terms of Sales.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
axq1sovd091b1.jpg

I found this chart showing the top eight fighting games in sales and was rather surprised by Street Fighter's position.

* Tekken (number 3) has only 7 main entries (with an eighth one upcoming) and used to be PlayStation exclusive up until the ''5th game''. The first game released on consoles in 95.

* Super Smash Bros (number 2) has only four main entries and is still a Nintendo exclusive.

* Mortal Kombat (number 1) is extremely controversial due to its violent content and was the subject of a particularly infamous campaign regarding censorship in games during the 90s. There's also its history of being banned in certain countries. Up until 2015, every MK game was banned in Germany. MK9 is banned in South Korea and was banned in Australia until 2023. MK11 is banned in Indonesia, Japan, Mainland China and Ukraine.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
View attachment 8872

I found this chart showing the top eight fighting games in sales and was rather surprised by Street Fighter's position.

* Tekken (number 3) has only 7 main entries (with an eighth one upcoming) and used to be PlayStation exclusive up until the ''5th game''. The first game released on consoles in 95.

* Super Smash Bros (number 2) has only four main entries and is still a Nintendo exclusive.

* Mortal Kombat (number 1) is extremely controversial due to its violent content and was the subject of a particularly infamous campaign regarding censorship in games during the 90s. There's also its history of being banned in certain countries. Up until 2015, every MK game was banned in Germany. MK9 is banned in South Korea and was banned in Australia until 2023. MK11 is banned in Indonesia, Japan, Mainland China and Ukraine.
You just learned of this. Most fighting games, a good amount of the casual (not all), and general press known about this for years. Well congrats, now you know!

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Don't worry Soul Calibur, I still love you!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Surprised that Tekken is beating Street Fighter. Also surprised that I don't see any Arksys games up there. I know Dragon Ball Fighterz sold... wait a moment *checks*

Ok, how is that chart made? Dragon Ball Fighterz sold 10+ million units, that game on its own should be up there somewhere.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Surprised that Tekken is beating Street Fighter. Also surprised that I don't see any Arksys games up there. I know Dragon Ball Fighterz sold... wait a moment *checks*

Ok, how is that chart made? Dragon Ball Fighterz sold 10+ million units, that game on its own should be up there somewhere.
It's calculating overall sales for every entry. Fighterz was just one game.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It's calculating overall sales for every entry. Fighterz was just one game.
Yeah, but it lists virtua fighter at 5 million and it had like 3 games. Dragon Ball Fighterz sold 10 million with just one game, it should be up there beating it.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah, but it lists virtua fighter at 5 million and it had like 3 games. Dragon Ball Fighterz sold 10 million with just one game, it should be up there beating it.
I think it requires the games to be a "series" meaning more than one entry.

I am a little shocked that Virtual Fighter is up there instead of something like Blazblu, or Guilty Gear, because those games are kind of the peak of contemporary fighters.

Or what about DBZ Tenkaiichi?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
what about DBZ Tenkaiichi?
Doesn't count; arena fighter. These games did sell well, but not to the level of even VF.

am a little shocked that Virtual Fighter is up there instead of something like Blazblu, or Guilty Gear, because those games are kind of the peak of contemporary fighters.
Both anime fighters sold well, but they're both still niche series. Virtual Fighter is still well known, despite not having as many entries. Last year, the Virtual Fighter franchise gathered a newbie boom with the remaster of the fifth game. A game that was on PS Plus for about a month and a half. All of the game redone in the Yakuza engine.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I really wouldn't count tenkaichi as a fighter. But yeah blazblue and GG don't sell anywhere near as much as the mainstream stuff. I think Strive sold around a million which is like a 10fold increase from all the previous airdashers they put out besides fighterz.

Back in the day with BBCT, I think it sold around 150k or so and that was considered a lot.