Topical Tuesday - What The Escapist Means to You Contest

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
The Escapist;
by Samuel Broderick aka TimeLord​

There are many things in space and time, not least is the Internet. Created by humans to connect themselves around their tiny world lost in the stars of the universe.

Born from the Internet, was a site. One full of friends and loved ones, great staff and amazing User Groups, forums full of discussion, topical videos, reviews, and the odd troll. Which adds a nice bit of a kick to the established convention once in a while, and brings together the community to wipe said troll from existance.

Intelligence is rife, points of view are many and few. But one thing is certain. It never gets old to be part of the Escapist.

But that is just the site in general. What does the Escapist mean to me?​

The Escapist is where I can go when my work is too much, and my life is too heavy. Where I can communicate with the well known, make friends with the not so well known. Talk about anything. Discuss everything.

And every time I visit here. I can guarantee that something will make me smile.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Here we go!

Hmm, a little shorter than some, but I think it gets the message across.

The Escapist;

What is the Escapist to me, you ask? Well, I find it hard to believe one can not tell simply from seeing the name. To me, The Escapist represents the truest possible escape. Escape from the ordinary and banal life of an Adult and the beginning of something much more intricate and exciting. The Escapist is an exciting plethora of thoughts and ideas, lifestyles and emotions. At times it is the very Epitome of Consummate Gamer, at other times it is the brawling drunk in the corner that no one really wants to look at (Truly when it is at its best!)When it comes together from its wildly different views and opinions, The Escapist is just that, the Great Escape.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
mykalwane said:
Spinwhiz said:
Cleril said:
As for giving our names out that just means the first name yes?

[sub]No I'm not paranoid, just curious[/sub]
First and last name.
What about Middle and Last name? I ask since I don't go by my first name on anything.
Whatever you use in the real world will be acceptable. So if you go by your middle name instead of your first, I'm sure that is okay.

Ziggy the wolf

May 26, 2009
this site means alot to me. i love video games and the culture around it. this site means alot to me. i was brought here, like most people, because of ZP but when i rolled around and saw some new things. after a while i found some things that take a look at other factions of the gaming universe like unforgotten realms which touch on table top gaming and Game dogs, which touched on the making and how unappreciated game devolpers can be and at times really are. not to forget unskippable with the satire of openings of games many of us would rather skip. then i see more people who are extremely credible like moviebob and eerily talented people like rebecca Mayes make this place a wonderful place to stop by every day and be amazed by the new content that pops up. now if you guys would have a massive collab like TGWTG

Solidplasma

Statistical Improbability
Aug 5, 2009
Here's mine:

"The Escapist" is a website. To most people, a website is just a bunch of data on a server. To people with slightly (meaning much) geekier tendencies, it is a city in a parallel world. But, for me, this is the only world.

It was no mistake to call this website "The Escapist." I hate my life. I might as well not have a physical presence, because I live through the worlds I imagine, or that others have imagined, as to avoid having to put up with the mess that we've made of earth offline. To speak in terms of our beloved "game worlds," "The Escapist" is the hub world of the culture I exist in. It has introduced me to other worlds. It has taught me to see through the eyes of like- minded, but not same-minded people. It has taught me about things that I would never have known I would have liked. Most importantly, however, it has made it fun doing so.

Everyone at this site (well, almost everyone) has a fantastic sense of humor. The articles on the front page, the comics, the videos.... they all present themselves in a way that says "We're laughing not at you, but with you." Even the articles that aren't meant to be funny come across in a way that brings a smile to my face. You don't find writers like that very often.

The world wide web has many websites. Some are obscene. Some are very strange. Some can be described with a series of positive adjectives. So, at the end of the day, "The Escapist Magazine" is just another website. Another really fun, creative, original, kick-ass website.

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
TimeLord said:
The Escapist;
by Samuel Broderick aka TimeLord​

There are many things in space and time, not least is the Internet. Created by humans to connect themselves around their tiny world lost in the stars of the universe.

Born from the Internet, was a site. One full of friends and loved ones, great staff and amazing User Groups, forums full of discussion, topical videos, reviews, and the odd troll. Which adds a nice bit of a kick to the established convention once in a while, and brings together the community to wipe said troll from existance.

Intelligence is rife, points of view are many and few. But one thing is certain. It never gets old to be part of the Escapist.

But that is just the site in general. What does the Escapist mean to me?​

The Escapist is where I can go when my work is too much, and my life is too heavy. Where I can communicate with the well known, make friends with the not so well known. Talk about anything. Discuss everything.

And every time I visit here. I can guarantee that something will make me smile.
Dude, you summed it all up perfectly.

Sep 17, 2009
Here is my submission. Enjoy.
-------------------
I can still remember to this day getting my N64 at the age of five and although this was a joyous occation it was clouded by fear. I was afraid of the bob-omb level, and I couldn't do it without a parent in the room. But as much as I remember that fear I remember the excitement of conquering my insecurities and collecting my star. That is where it all began.

I grew up on Nintendo, but as I grew up I was left behind by my friends maturing tastes. I had no idea what an FPS, or a RTS were at the time, but my friends had all discovered the Xbox and I was left behind. I pleaded and finally got my Xbox 360 in my teenage years and with it Halo 3. This is where my interest became an obsession.

As I moved from Halo to Half-Life, I retained my love of Nintendo and I secretly collected Pokemon as my friends collected headshots. During this time I felt the need to learn more about gaming culture and through an episode of ZP I found The Escapist. In turn my gaming knowledge grew, but within the headlines and the videos I found the community. The Escapist community is a rare place where your opinions are respected and not deemed wrong by those with differing views. It was refreshing.

So what has this anecdote said about "what The Escapist means to me"? The Escapist is my source of information, my source of entertainment, and my source of acceptance. It's the only place I know that judges at me purely for the substance of my posts. But in the end I am just a kid who plays video games; love me or hate me, either way I know The Escapist will respect me.
-------------------

Anacortian

May 19, 2009
The Escapist means intelligence more than anything. I first came to the site for Zero Punctuation. The man is just witty. Every week I would beeline to his room, never looking about the atrium. In time, however, I began to look around. The articles were articulate; the other videos had real experience where they often displayed a lack of any real expense; the humor was wonderful. When Moviebob was brought on board, I became a member, for he might be the smartest thing in gaming for some time.

I am not much of a gamer. I have a slow-burning WoW habit and no current-generation console. I have since tried and loved Plants vs. Zombies and Portal (thank you). I still remember fondly my days with DnD, and I love that I can read words well-written on the subject, but I haven't played in some time.

In short: I am no great gamer by any definition, but I am drawn to intelligence whatever the topic. I have found that here, and I retransmute back to a gamer a little more every day.

Hawaiigm

Apr 11, 2008
My response

I first came to The Escapist for the videos, but I stayed for the news. The Escapist is everything a modern news outlet should be; and helps prove that the Internet is not destroying news, as some would have you believe.

Articles on The Escapist are well written and informative, and they always link to at least one other source. That last bit is very important, as it encourages the reader to check other sources and get as much information as possible before forming an opinion.

What's more, The Escapist knows its readers. Nerds these days are interested in a lot more than how awesome the latest release is, which is why you'll see articles about paintball and how video games affect stress on the front page next to a review of WOW Cataclysm.

Staying informed in a world where the cutting edge moves forward every moment is a challenge, and The Escapist provides an outlet through which I can keep up to date and enjoy an occasional video along the way.

Fweeb

Aug 30, 2009
I predict I'm not going to be breaking any moulds here by saying I found the Escapist after a friend linked me to Yahtzee's review of Clive Barker's Jericho, (by Clive Barker); but over time the Escapist started meaning more and more to me than merely a deliverer of Wednesday funnies. Now I've never been much of a forum goer and I'm sure countless articles have passed me by, but I would be a liar if I don't admit to checking the Escapist every damn day like clockwork for a fresh batch of hot gaming news. Seriously, it's getting to be like a bad habit. Wake up, Escapist, breakfast, Escapist, talk to friends, Escapist. Even now I'm wondering if any new articles will have been posted while I'm writing this.

Anyway, I've always fancied myself a journalist, and when things were going badly at school and each night seemed like another shouting match with my parents, it was always the faint faraway dream of actually being published on the Escapist that kept me into writing articles. Granted, after several dozen rejected article pitches, I'm starting to rethink just how ready for the big-time journalism I am; yet the dream still holds true.

My Plan-B winded up as recording myself reviewing some nerdy topics for the trolling of the internet, so I bought myself a crappy webcam and sat in the dark dank of my room to film. I decided to test the waters by entering the hurried editing and awkward delivery into the Escapist Annual Film Festival, where my review of Saga of The Swamp Thing not only managed to scrape onto the first page of submissions, but receive an Honourable Mention for it's troubles.

Thank you Escapist, for giving some hope to a nerdy kid with aspirations of journalism.

-John 'Fweeb' Potts

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Baddabing. A load of my opinion, freshly baked.

What The Escapist Means To Me...
The Escapist has a lot to offer, but I think you could probably some it up in three points, without missing too much. Entertainment, Information and Opinions.
I?ve been here at the Escapist for just over a year now, and, I?ve got to say, I?ve had a pretty good time of it. I?ve had lots of laughs, and I?d think that a lot of other people here have too.
Often I?ve been drawn in to many a thread, whether the topic is interesting, fun, or just plain silly. I?ve made a few myself, and I most certainly remember now that I must use the search bar first.
I think I?m going to have to talk quite a bit about the videos. They?re how I first reached the Escapist at all, introduced to Yahtzee and Unforgotten Realms by a friend. Now, instead, we have Unskippable, and Rebecca Mayes Muses amongst many others; all of which, I believe, are simply fabulous pieces of entertainment. Everyone thinks differently about the video content, some even think that they aren?t very good any more, but that doesn?t change the fact that now, they help make the Escapist.
Speaking of differing opinions, we have plenty. Across The Escapist there are hundreds, thousands, of different people. We argue at times, at others agree, but we have a great time of it. Sometimes it can be these arguments that forge friendships. Often not, but still: it?s happened.
So, whilst I may not live on this site as some do, The Escapist has treated me well, and it always has a thread or article to catch my eye and draw me in, and, for this, I?d like to say thank you to everyone out there, on the team and off it, for making this great website what it is.

awesomeClaw

Aug 17, 2009
What does the escapist mean to me? So many times people have asked me what things mean to me, and none of those times have i been able to give a straight answer. Sometimes, i avoid the question, other times, i simply respond with some stupid qoute from some famous person, and other times, i just refuse to answer altogether. If spontaneously asked what the The escapist mean to me in real life, i would probably do something of the above.

But, given a decent time to think, i think i´ve come up with a straight answer for the first time in my life. To say what the escapist means to me, i must first say what other sites mean to me. I think we have all have our heart broken sometime, wheter it be a tragic accident or a painful break-up, all of us have been hurt sometime in our life. That´s other sites for me. Wonderfull, beautiful and caring on the outside, but a ravenous, murderous monster on the inside.

But the escapist is diffrent. The escapist Is the girl you could spend an entire night just stroking her hair. It´s the girl who´s always there for you in your times of need. It´s the girl that you can say without a doubt in your voice, "I love you."

Plus, It has a fast-talking english man, and that´s always a plus.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Here you go, hope you enjoy!

268 words said:
"All good things must come to an end," that is one of the many mottoes in my life I live by . Eventually that sandwich will be gone, my favorite show has to end, and yes, The Escapist will sadly someday disappear in the internet abyss. But that's all the more reason to cherish every moment I get here, to savor every mouse click, to preserve every hit of the enter key I do on this site.

The Escapist is the "Cheers" bar for me. At home, or school, or work, I'm just an average guy, mindlessly going about his day. But when I boot up the computer and log on to The Escapist, I'm a whole new person. I'm intelligent, I can have meaningful discussions, I can argue, I can escape my own life into the Internet abyss and I can just sit back enjoy the show.

Is The Escapist perfect? Of course not, it has it's fair share of problems that any other forum has; trolls, rouge users, veteran users leaving, etc... In all honesty, I wouldn't have it any other way. Just like any bar, the beer may not always be the tastiest, but it's still like a second home, and likewise The Escapist is a second home to me on the internet.

Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name, and they're always glad you came. That's The Escapist to me, a place where I can relax, have a drink or two with some buddies, argue about the about seemingly pointless topics, and look forward to at the end of a long day.

~Tom Braff
~Jumplion

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
My entry. Hopefully titles are optional:

It would not be too far of a stretch to say that The Escapist has made me the person I am today. No matter what hardships life threw my way, I knew I could always rely on the other Escapists for a good laugh or stimulating conversation. The Escapist is, as the name so perfectly implies, my home away from home. And with such a compassionate community to fall back on, nothing ever seems too difficult. Not even writing for the Escapist.

Submitting an article to the Escapist is like going through a writers? boot camp. Where some editors may work with what they?re given, those at the Escapist have high standards and enforce them with an iron fist (or perhaps a fiery red pen). But if there?s one recurring theme throughout the Escapist, it's heart, and everyone on staff has plenty of it. It's thanks to the encouragement and advice of the editors I?ve worked with that I can call myself a professional writer.

No matter how much life gets in the way, I know I?ll always be whole-heartedly welcome back at the Escapist. The forums gave me friends for life and the staff put me on track towards a job I love. For that, the Escapist will always be a very special place to me.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
The Escapist is a pretty big part of my life - I spend a good deal of my free time perusing the site, enjoying the many great features it has to offer. The magazine articles are always well-written and thought-provoking. The videos are hilarious treats that I look forward to every week. And the forums are a place for me to have rewarding, mature discussions with many interesting people, some that I would even consider good friends. The dedication to quality and approachability of the staff is unlike any other site out there, and that in turn draws only those forum-goers that want to maintain the high standards of posting so sorely lacking elsewhere on the internet.
These things make me proud to say that the Escapist is (and probably always will be) my true internet home.

KValentine

Mar 4, 2009
It's 8:59AM and I am already bored at work. Too early to think about the weekend and too late to retreat into the foggy mental state of the past weekend's hangover, Wednesday mornings are so soul crushing that I wonder why I didn't take the four day work week option. But when 9:00AM rolls around, I get to listen to a foul-mouthed Australian rant or rave?mainly rant?about some video game on my computer. The sound of fast-paced cursing draws several coworkers to my plot on the cube farm as we laugh, groan, and occasionally agree with Yahtzee's opinions. Then a coworker asks me to play the latest "ENN," "LoadingReadyRun," or "Unskippable" episode depending on his mood. That is the blessing and curse of having the only computer with working speakers. Before fulfilling that request, I pop into the review section of "The Escapist" to see if they published my latest anime review yet and see what the fellow anime fan coworker has to say about my opinion.

We watch a few more videos or read some articles on "The Escapist" before 9:30 rolls in and it's time to do some actual work. But that time before allows us cube-dwellers to laugh and bond together better than any team building exercise before we retreat to our respective cubicles. Wednesday suddenly becomes a little less soul crushing.

And that is what The Escapist means to me.