Topical Tuesday: When Lies Become Better Than Reality

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Topical Tuesday: When Lies Become Better Than Reality

We've all heard rumors. Unfortunately, most of the time the truth ends up being nowhere near as great as the rumor itself. That normally sparks our imagination to wonder what the world would be like if these rumors were true. Now is your chance to share that with the community.

Welcome back to Topical Tuesday! Every week we ask the community a question related to our weekly magazine topic. Our goal is to begin an intelligent discussion based on a topic that's uniquely relevant to us as gamers and nerds, and the industry we love. Opinions are welcome, but please justify your claim with support - such as quoting information from one of our featured articles - even if that requires a little research before posting. Please use examples to back up your opinion.

This week, C J Davies has an excellent article titled "Videogame Myths Debunked" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_266/7954-Videogame-Myths-Debunked], which goes through why 10 gaming myths are false. Similarly, we've all heard myths and rumors outside of the gaming industry that are better than the truth. This brings us to today's Topical Tuesday discussion.

What rumor have you heard, in any industry, that ended up being completely false but would have been awesome if it was true? How could the rumor have been made even more awesome?

Are you excited by Bruce Willis being cast as Master Chief in the new Halo movie? Or by Blizzard's new console MMO World of Starcraft? Or maybe you're more interested in seeing the Lando Calrissian spin-off Blackstar Warrior [http://io9.com/5607587/a-preview-for-blackstar-warrior-the-lost-star-wars-film-starring-lando-calrissian] finally be released.

Ladies and Gentlemen, to your keyboard and discuss!

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Here is my example, which is about the supposed Halo movie:

"I have heard from an inside source that the epic sage to get Bruce Willis to step into the roll of Master Chief has come to an end and an agreement has been made! Willis has been shipped to a undisclosed military base to "begin his training and get his head and body in the right place". However, that isn't the only great news to come out of this source. Since the release of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time which starred Jake Gyllenhaal and Gemma Arterton, Camperdown Studios wants to bring even more stars to the screen for this gaming movie blockbuster. This list of nearly signed stars and their characters are below and prepare to have your combat boots blown off:

Wesley Snipes (Blade) - Sergeant Major Avery Johnson
Milla Jovovich (The Fifth Element, Resident Evil) - Cortana
Kate Beckinsale (Underworld) - Miranda Keyes
Willem Dafoe (Spiderman, Boondock Saints) - The High Prophet
Stephen Lang (Avatar) - Arbiter

Supposedly the list continues to grow as the studio pulls out all the stops. The source also states that the producers will be taking a page from the Predator movies and creating suits for the Arbiter and High Prophet, as well as Master Chief.

And the final leak comes from the production company itself, stating a massive hiring has taken place because the Halo movie is being bumped UP from 2012 to late 2011. This source states the reason for the catalyst for the release is due to writers Stuart Beattie (spec script) and Alex Garland (original screenplay) wanting the world to see their masterpiece before the end of the world in December 2012."

Show us your creativity and post it below!

Apr 28, 2008
Lucasarts commissioning Battlefront 3. The game kind of died when Free Radical got bought out. Which is a shame, because next to Knights of the Old Republic the Battlefront games are my favorite Star Wars games.

As for a rumor that I dearly hope is true, well remember when Crytek UK filed a trademark for Timesplitters Future Perfect [http://crytekuk.info/crytek-applies-for-timesplitters-future-perfect-trademark/]?

Every ounce of my body is hoping for a Future Perfect PC release. Or anything Timesplitters. Of course Crytek stated that Crytek UK was only working on the multiplayer for Crysis 2, but still, I'll pay any amount of money for a Timespitters game, re-released or new.

arsenicCatnip

Jan 2, 2010
Any industry? Well, working in the coffee industry, the rumor that Starbucks spread on April Fool's Day was awesome.

It was put about that two new sizes of cups would be released: The 2 oz. Micra, and the 128 oz. Plenta. I thought the Plenta was just about the coolest idea ever.

RaphaelsRedemption

Eats With Her Mouth Full
May 3, 2010
Rumour: Australia's internet crisis will be brought to an end by 2012.

For years, opposing political parties have been using Australia's abysmal internet connection and speed as rich fodder for political swing and slanging. Now, as many Australians, particularly those in rural Australia, have begun to give up their hopes for faster internet and cheaper download limits, a new player has stepped onto the scene.

Governor-General Quentin Bryce gave an exclusive press conference today that she intended to push for a Bill of Rights for Australians. Included in this Bill would be "the fundamental right to information". Free, fast and reliable internet would be considered an integral part of this right.

The Governor-General is reported to have stated that she would be prepared to fight for whatever measures it might take to achieve this goal, including taking over the formerly privatised telecommunications giant Telstra, or buying back its landlines and other physical infrastructure.

This report comes in the wake of news from Finland, where free and fast internet was reportedly made a human right.

The Governor-General apparently did not mention whether she would be combating the proposed internet filter scheme. Sources close to the Governor-General say, however, that she has had a shock at the limiting of Australian freedoms underneath the banner of "safety" and is in favour of allowing free access to all parts of the internet without goverment monitoring.

Core lobby groups, vocal in opposing the proposed internet filter scheme, have spoken in favour of this approach. "If this rumour is true, it could be a landmark step towards defining and guarding Australian rights." said a lobby group spokesperson. "We eagerly look forward to receiving confirmation of this news".

I'd love to hear this rumour.
I'd love it even more if it were true...

LightOfDarkness

Mar 18, 2010
Free internet? Okay. Free, no-limit internet? SUPSPICI-O-GRAPH AWAY

*topic*
Boom Blox would have head-tracking technology. It's the only one I can remember right now, but it was supposed to become a huge step forward.

EDIT: Head-tracking technology was something made by a student (I forget but he has a website) that reversed the wiimote and the sensor bar (he said that two infrared lights would work, and he used some goggles with lights built in to them, replacing the lights with infrared ones, or a red filter, i forget) and that would allow you to move your head and the view would move accordingly.

EDIT2: heres his website http://johnnylee.net/projects/wii/

EDIT3: DAMMIT he's not a student, he works at microsoft.