Torchlight 2?

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Reading all the posts about Diablo 3 and such, many people are saying how they're going to get Torchlight 2 instead.

I've never heard of Torchlight 2 (or 1, for that matter).

I'm getting the impression that this seems to be the only Diablo-style game worth considering, but can anyone explain why it's expected to be so good?

Is it just hype, was Torchlight 1 the Best Game Ever or is it simply a case of "the only other option"?

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Torchlight is also on the XBLA. Very cartoonish (some would argue WoW-ish) in its look and very similar to Diablo in its gameplay and design. It isn't a bad RPG for its cost and its replay value is better than most games. It has features that some other RPGs could use, like the player-sharing stash. If you play a character and find a piece of equipment that would work well for another character, simply place it in the share stash, go to that other character (or make that other character) and retrieve from the share stash! There are some things that could've been improved, but overall a decent RPG.

Don't know whether it's on the PSN, though. However, one would surmise that it should be seeing as how it is confirmed to be on PC and the XBox.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Olrod said:
I'm getting the impression that this seems to be the only Diablo-style game worth considering, but can anyone explain why it's expected to be so good?
If you watch Yahtzee's review, he occasionally makes extremely snarky comments which happen to be exactly true. Torchlight is 90% Diablo clone. The graphics are more artsy, there's only 3 classes and most of the action takes place in various themes of dungeons/caves beneath the town.

It has some minor upgrades on the Diablo formula, but ultimately it's a shameless copycat. The two big draws? Its 20 bucks, and it has some crazy mod support. This ranges from little things like walking faster or having magic items automatically identified, to big things like adding 20 new fleshed out classes into the game (up from the original 3). I've played D1 and D2, and I thought they were pretty decent but for whatever reason found Torchlight to be excellent.

I'm excited for T2 for a few reasons: Again, 20 bucks, multiplayer support (either 8 or 16, can't recall), mod support, increased variety in enemies and much more variety in the level designs. If you have a dungeon crawler itch and you don't want to deal with Blizzard's BS (whichever part annoys you), T2 is the way to go.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
No one (sane) ever claimed Torchlight was the best game ever, it's just a damned fun little Diablo style hack & slash game that's got a ton of potential and a sequel due soon which looks promising. If you like Diablo style games you're doing yourself a disservice by at least not giving it a try.

There's another 'Diablo clone' coming out as well called Grim Dawn that looks promising. Lots of options!

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
People are just saying that about Torchlight 2 because they are just dramatically overreacting to the news. Torchlight was... an okay "D2-like". It lacked a lot of depth of D2, had a non-existent difficulty curve, and felt incredibly repetitive (more so than the game it is attempting to replicate). I suppose that is to blame more on its independent origins than anything, but overall, it felt pretty boring and bland. I got one solid playthrough out of the game, yet every time I have come back to it I just can't get into it. It's not bad, but it is pretty overrated.

If you can get Torchlight for cheap, then sure... you can get like 8-12 hours out of it, which is great for an indie title, but it feels like it really lacks replayability (which isn't great for a D2 clone). You never want to play to get "just one more level" and none of the loot ever really blows your mind. Overall, it just feels kind of meh. Honestly... just re-install D2 or buy a better D2 clone like Titan Quest.

EDIT: I just checked the price. Torchlight is 15 dollars, and Titan Quest: Gold is twenty. Get Titan Quest... trust me. It's the far, FAR superior game. I'd wait to pick up Torchlight for 3-5 bucks when its a midweek madness or something on Steam.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Stall said:
People are just saying that about Torchlight 2 because they are just dramatically overreacting to the news. Torchlight was... an okay "D2-like". It lacked a lot of depth of D2, had a non-existent difficulty curve, and felt incredibly repetitive (more so than the game it is attempting to replicate). I suppose that is to blame more on its independent origins than anything, but overall, it felt pretty boring and bland. I got one solid playthrough out of the game, yet every time I have come back to it I just can't get into it. It's not bad, but it is pretty overrated.

If you can get Torchlight for cheap, then sure... you can get like 8-12 hours out of it, which is great for an indie title, but it feels like it really lacks replayability (which isn't great for a D2 clone). You never want to play to get "just one more level" and none of the loot ever really blows your mind. Overall, it just feels kind of meh. Honestly... just re-install D2 or buy a better D2 clone like Titan Quest.

EDIT: I just checked. Torchlight is 15 dollars, and Titan Quest: Gold is twenty. Get Titan Quest... trust me. It's the far, FAR superior game.
Was Titan Quest ever made outside the PC? From what I've heard, this game was an awesome gem that no one heard of. Then it disappeared. Oh, and the band Bang Camaro played "Rock of Mages" during a level.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Stall said:

EDIT: I just checked. Torchlight is 15 dollars, and Titan Quest: Gold is twenty. Get Titan Quest... trust me. It's the far, FAR superior game.
Was Titan Quest ever made outside the PC? From what I've heard, this game was an awesome gem that no one heard of. Then it disappeared. Oh, and the band Bang Camaro played "Rock of Mages" during a level.
Nope. PC only. But the guy is right, I much prefer Titan Quest over Torchlight. It has a much more epic scope, as well as a better class system (mixed classes!).

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
I've played Titan Quest and quite enjoyed it, although I didn't find it quite as addictive as Diablo 2. After hearing all the new, um, "design choices" they're doing in Diablo 3 I don't imagine I'll ever bother getting it. I *was* eagerly anticipating it, so now I need something else to give me my Diablo-fix.

Unfortunately I don't have wireless online ability on my Xbox 360 so I'm unable to download the demo of Torchlight. :-(

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
Torchlight is essentially Diablo 1 but more cartoony and in HD. It's more or less identical, as it's made by a lot of people from the original development team who split off to make their own company, I think it's called Runic Games? Relic Games? Something like that.

I loved Torchlight, and although I'm very, very excited for Diablo 3, I'm looking forward to Torchlight 2 as well. If anything it should at least put me on until said game is released.

CAPTCHA: Clean your room

Fuck you, captcha. I cleaned it enough.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Torchlight is Diablo for people who don't want to actually play Diablo because they hate Mainstream games.