Torchlight Undergoes Massive Overhaul for XBLA

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Torchlight Undergoes Massive Overhaul for XBLA

The Xbox Live Arcade version of Torchlight has been significantly altered to fit the console experience.

With House Party [http://www.amazon.com/Encore-15980-Torchlight/dp/B001B5U80K] release event, many gamers are wondering how the hack-and-slash RPG is going to make the transition from PC to console. Runic Games has made an attempt to allay any concern by divulging a significant number of changes made for the XBLA version of the RPG.

Torchlight's major alterations on XBLA are in the form of UI (user interface) and control differences. Runic says that the UI has been "completely overhauled" to work better on the Xbox 360, to the point where "nothing works the same." Item slots for inventory management are gone, with players simply able to hold 50 total items with some like potions able to stack up to 99. Movement is analog, giving players the ability to move faster or slower depending on the tilt of the control stick.

[gallery=77]

The XBLA version of Torchlight won't use a "virtual cursor" for combat either. Runic has changed combat so that players will move forward when using melee strikes, similar to other third-person action games, with those same strikes now doing damage to every enemy in the player's "damage cone" instead of a single target. Players still have a highlighted "primary" target, but are now able to attack more than one enemy with a single strike. Ranged attacks use an automated system for targeting, though certain moves have a default distance that can be "finessed" to be longer or shorter with the control pad's triggers.

Every one of the PC version's skills are still in Torchlight for XBLA, though some have been altered to work better on the Xbox 360. Four skills can be mapped to the Xbox 360's control pad at once, with two sets of four swappable using the D-pad. In addition, players no longer have to worry about choosing different healing or mana potions, because the game will "auto pick" the best one.

The way Runic tells it, the only feature not making the trek to XBLA are secondary weapon sets, which it says felt "horrible in inventory management." Runic also revealed that it's improving the game with faster loading times, better "animation blending," an upgraded automap, three new armor sets, new random quests, and a new pet called the Chakawary, which according to screenshots is a little dinosaur.

Though Diablo [http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-III-Pc/dp/B00178630A]-style games have often struggled on consoles, it's quite possible that Runic Games has pulled off a successful conversion with these changes. I wasn't planning to buy it again, but it almost seems like a different game now.

PlayStation 3 owners might be saddened to know that Torchlight is not planned for release on the PlayStation Network at the moment, because Microsoft is publishing it on XBLA. It'll be released sometime after February 16.

Source: Runic Games [http://www.torchlightgame.com/gamenews/2011/01/06/torchlight-coming-to-xbla/]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Sure, I'll buy it again.

At least this time, I won't get pissed when Steam achievements are added in weeks later, and don't retroactively unlock for tasks already completed!

I'm willing to say that I'll like the console version more from the sounds of it, actually.

Seriously, though. The PC version of Torchlight can run on anything. It had a fucking netbook mode. Netbooks can run Torchlight. So, the 360 version is just gravy!

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Definatly going to buy this when it's released. Does anyone know how much it will be? How many Microsoft Points?

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I've been on an RPG binge lately, and this one always sounded pretty interesting (I've never been much of a PC gamer). Maybe I'll grab a demo whenever it drops. :)

Jul 22, 2009
Flamezdudes said:
Definatly going to buy this when it's released. Does anyone know how much it will be? How many Microsoft Points?
I'm going to guess 1200msp.

But since this is a deal (House Party) they might do the whole 'Buy 4 games, get one free' thing.

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Why does the "scout" look like Wonder Woman now?
So I'm not the only one who saw it! She really does.

Anyway, I'm pretty interested in this, I've got some extra Xbox points and this is far from the worst way I could spend them.

Also; maybe it's because it's new or just because I haven't played Torchlight on PC, but could someone please explain what that robot is doing in the center? Has Iron Lantern (Green Lantern + Iron Man from the amalgamated DC/Marvel crossover) come back in time with Wonder Woman?

wond4r

Jan 6, 2011
So the image above is by comic book artist Derek Charm, who is a friend of ours, and we hired him to do his own take on the 3 characters. It's pretty rad. You can see the whole thing on our post, torchlightgame.com/xbla

And yeah, the robot is an iconic character in Torchlight. :)

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
wond4r said:
So the image above is by comic book artist Derek Charm, who is a friend of ours, and we hired him to do his own take on the 3 characters. It's pretty rad. You can see the whole thing on our post, torchlightgame.com/xbla

And yeah, the robot is an iconic character in Torchlight. :)
Please tell me that image will be used as a dashboard theme.

I never heard about this game (not much of a PC gamer) but just from what I read today, it's a day one download for me now.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
I already have it for PC but if they had included local multiplayer I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
Blizzard, you watching?. Do want for Diablo III on consoles.
I still highly doubt that will happen. By the looks of things with Torchlight, it's become more like a hack n slash game than a Diablo style rpg. Everything gets attacked in a cone and you can map 8 abilities? Sounds to me like it's getting closer to God of War than anything. It's nice to see someone trying, but if it takes over simplifying to get these rpg's on consoles, I'm still skeptical.

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
Still no multiplayer though, which is funny - considering most reviews loved it but all said that that was the most glaring omission.