Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Freezy_Breezy said:
Mike Kayatta said:
The industry faces yet another year of massive loss
Size of global game market revenue:

$65 billion, up from $62.7 billion in 2010.

OH BOY LOOK AT ALL THAT LOSS

THEY SURE ARE GOING DOW- OH WAIT THAT'S UP.

Christ, do you even do any factchecking?

Source: http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/06/06/us-videogames-factbox-idUKTRE75552I20110606
I'd be pretty annoyed too if the industry which I work in only had a 3 billion dollar increase YoY in the middle of a global recession.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Notice how the Publishers pockets are still lined with gold and the world keeps spinning. I feel bad for the developers though because they deserve a lot more than they get.

For the record I don't pirate, and I don't condone it either because it hurts our developers.

Oh and also, why are people giving Mike so much shit over his opinions, grow up would ya guys, why so defensive you dirty pirates!

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
SillyBear said:
Tubez said:
Meh I really do not care, and in no way is a download a lost sale.
I don't agree with that. I think many of those people who pirated the game would have bought the game if it wasn't so easily available to pirate.

You can't claim that none of the millions of people who pirated Modern Warfare 3 wouldn't have purchased it otherwise.

If you want to engage in entertainment provided by someone else you should pay for it. It doesn't matter if it's truly a lost sale or not - you want something, you pay for it. You don't have the right to take it (even if it is only a copy) without charge. If you aren't willing to pay, don't play it. I can't believe most of you see nothing wrong with it. I think the amount of self entitlement pirates have is amazing. I don't believe piracy is justifiable at all.
Meh you can think whatever you want and I can think whatever I want, except that I got studies that proves that piracy isnt such a huge deal

And no need for you to reply since I will not debate piracy on escapist cause then I will only get banned.

Jun 11, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Well, the soloution is obvious:

We should stop making those games. If we just stop making games that people pirate, then the pirates will have nothing to copy and go out of business.

#herpderp
Haha, that's funny, root! What a ridiculous and nonsensical thing that would never happen you made up there! At least no game companies actually do th-

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114367-Ubisoft-Kills-Ghost-Recon-Future-Soldier-on-PC
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114356-I-Am-Alive-Producer-Dismisses-Bitching-PC-Gamers
http://www.1up.com/news/piracy-drove-gears-war-creators
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/08/e3-2011-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-interview-consoles-are-our-lead-skew/
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111028-Porting-From-PC-to-Console-Is-Doing-Things-Backwards-Says-Rage-Dev

-at.
Please don't make me cry again.

OT: You what really grinds my gears aside from the people who pirate games? Yes this will sound odd with the numbers in the this article is the amount of times Console games are pirated versus PC games. Many of these games on both sides are pirated in countries with no localization or access to games so lets get that straight. Yes I know many people who can afford it also pirate but since this all speculation and estimates it needs to be said.

There are a lot more PCs out there than Consoles by a long shot and in a lot of countries PC is the main medium of gaming as a PC is required for other things and unlike most people will have you believe many PCs are capable of running modern games if on somewhat gimped settings. As an aside I don't care if your PC can't run games there are plenty of PCs that can and can't but the technical needs are more than exaggerated.

If people bothered to look into forms if piracy you will probably find out that PC pirates actually get up off their asses and pirate the games themselves and use the available cracks and what not. What console pirates do is they find someone who will chip or mod their console and them buy games off them. There was actually a show on piracy in Ireland today however, its name escapes me. Anyway in this show they got someone to go into one of these black market shops and buy 80 games on a storage device for ?50. 80 games for fucking ?50.

Then there is also the common speculation that PC gaming sales are around 60% Digital Distribution but quite possibly more as the article I read dealt with the market 2 years ago. When the article was written[footnote]article can be found here [http://www.thegamersblog.com/2011/11/27/understanding-the-numbers-pc-vs-console-sales-figures/][/footnote] the sale for Battlefield 3 on each platform was
Xbox 360: 2.2 mil­lion
PlaySta­tion 3: 1.5 mil­lion
PC: 500,000.

Now I was less generous with proportion of PC gaming done through DD but lets stick with my 60% that means that the speculated true sales of BF3 on PC was 1.25 million. This is a far cry from the paltry 500k that was found on VGchartz at the time. I would also like to take this opportunity to mention that Skyrim broke sales record for games on Steam and at any time it is not uncommon to see in excess of 100k people playing Skyrim which doesn't include any offline players.

These figures also do not take into consideration the people(who aren't helping by the way) who go out of their way just to pirate a game to give a fuck you to the publishers as if you notice a lot of these games and stuff to do with them had a massive negative backlash in the community. Especially on the PC for a couple up there. Is that a coincidence I don't think so. Now how large this group of people is will be entirely unknown but it is another group to account for as well as the demo group who do pirate games as a demo and then delete and the group who pirate now and buy later.

Just of those games the only one of which I know that actually has a demo is Fifa 12 all the others lack a demo.

I genuinely believe that if more and better demos were available on the PC there would be less piracy on the PC as it would cut back some numbers as it would allow people to see if they can actually run the game. That is another group of which to take account.

Now all the said and done I do think that some of those people do pirate even though they have the means to buy the games and some who are lost sales just because it is cheaper than buying a game. How big this proportion is in relation to other groups and how big those other groups really are will never be known but if companies do try and make an effort to make better products with less shittier DRM with demos and what not then most of these pirates won't have a leg to stand on.

Lets be honest here the only person that really loses out in all of this is the devs.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
theonecookie said:
So the WII has more piracy than the Xbox is it me or is that bit odd
The Wii is relatively easy to emulate as long as you have a good enough computer. There are lots of benefits to this as well like upscaling to HD, so it's not that surprising.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Tubez said:
Meh I really do not care, and in no way is a download a lost sale. Just look at studies done on this.

But I cannot believe that people have downloaded fifa 3.4 millions times on pc...
But sensationalism that is not tied to actual data is how I survive my day to day life :(.

This information driven world you refer to scares and confuses me.

snagli

Jan 21, 2011
I bet that 75% of the guys who pirated Portal 2 just did it because they were pissed about the first day hats and stuff.

Crysis 2, I'm not suprised. That thing got blown out of proportions thanks to that leak.

Apr 28, 2008
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Irridium said:
People pirated Crysis 2 the most?

Why?

Also, do they have numbers for how much Witcher 2 was pirated? I believe pretty much everyone, including the developers, thought that it was 4.5 million or more. Would be nice to know the actual area of the numbers. Since it's obviously not that much, otherwise it'd be on the list.
That was a rough estimate, made up on the spot, thrown out by one of the developers when asked about piracy.

Of course, websites like the Escapist just love it when something like that happens, and proceeded to throw around articles like "WITCHER 2 DEV SAYS WITCHER GAME PIRATED 4.5 MILLION TIMES!!!!!!!" even though its bullshit, CDProjekt said it was bullshit, and the escapist knows its bullshit.
Oh believe me, I know. I also doesn't help that pretty much every other damn site has said the same, and now quite a few people believe Witcher 2 was pirated a stupid amount of times and use it as an "example" that DRM-free means nothing. Even though it sold so well on GoG that it persuaded other publishers that DRM-free is viable and causing GoG to soon offer modern games on the site with no DRM.

But, you know, who cares about these silly "facts".

Though a good amount of sites do say it's just speculation. Mostly I'm just angry with gamers completely ignoring that fact.

Aug 1, 2010
Very interesting. It's really too bad there is no real way to figure out the number of sales lost and ACTUAL amount of cash "stolen".

I'm a little surprised at the console numbers. I thought console piracy was very difficult to conduct and maintain.

And on a side not, HAHA NO WITCHER 2 NEENER NEENER NEENER! .......Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Considering how well COD did, making a historical record profit and all, I don't see how anyone can baww over "potential losses".

But I'm sure the companies will just continue to treat paying customers like theives and continue to try to kill used games without changing their self-destructive practices.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
MrDeckard said:
It's really too bad there is no real way to figure out the number of sales lost and ACTUAL amount of cash "stolen".
Unless you're talking about potential sales and potential cash, the answer to both is 'effectively zero'.

Elyxard

Dec 12, 2010
I appreciate people not wanting to give EA money, because really, they usually don't deserve it.

But pirating their games isn't helping the situation. That still tells them that you want the games that they make, and only makes them want to throw even more boneheaded anti-piracy measures and forced multiplayer on everything. So thanks for that.

naam

Dec 16, 2010
lol 4 million downloads on the counter for just one game on just one platform for just one method of piracy for only as much as one website can keep track of and still there are claims those people couldn't afford it..

It sure is quite the first-world problem for enough people to fill a small country that they can´t afford their luxury 20 a piece products (if you just get it second hand and not on release date) after already having a console and presumably education, food, tv, internet, a place to live, basic medical help where needed etc.

Then again, who can really afford to spend 20 moneys per piece (if you don't get it first hand and on release date) making it 2.5 moneys per hour of entertainment for a short game of 8 hours with no online options - making it less than the cost of going to a movie (though likely also pirating these) or the costs of most of my dinner meals.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Long story, short: I hate everyone.

I hate what companies are doing to my consumer rights. I hate that they're trying to turn everything into a license or a subscription or a DLC bananza. I hate that they hate the idea of me lending or borrowing a game. I hate that most games now come standard with layers of DRM, mandatory account creation, and useless social media integration.

I also hate that the vast majority of gamers I know in real life are shameless pirates who download, burn, and crack just about everything they can get their hands on. They say they wouldn't buy it anyways, or that they're just going to try it out because they believe they are entitled to a demo. Then they proceed to buy abso-fucking-lutely nothing.

It's just a bunch of greedy assholes trying to get one over on everyone else, and the only losers are the creative, innovative developers being squeezed by their publishers and the honest paying customer getting shafted by all the DRM headaches and revenue streaming.

Edit: and forgive my bluntness, but anyone attempting to justify all of this piracy or pretending it doesn't impact the industry financially... I guess I can't effectively chastise anyone at this point because the forum "mods" will punt me, but I'm sure you can imagine how I feel about you. I mean I'm the one buying all of my games new, which means I'm basically subsidizing your gaming. "Loathe" probably fits.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
FieryTrainwreck said:

A quote from Dr. Cox

But seriously, the number of self-important, somehow entitled gamers breaking this industry are really annoying. The industry will survive, but all creativity and innovation will go out the window. If you were an indie developer, would you want to deal with gamers today? Seriously?

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I think we have enough irrational dogma to deal with here without purposely trying to convince and dupe people into thinking 1 pirated copy = 1 full price sale lost or that every thing that goes wrong on any computer anywhere is the result of the work of hackers.

I would like to read articles on this site that feature facts and information, not agenda pushing conjecture and specious reasoning.

Turn the tables and you can just as easily say that piracy does not cost any company anywhere anything (outside of what a company wastes on anti piracy measures) because if someone is willing to obtain it through illegitimate means, they had no intention of buying it in the first place and would have never made a blip on the companies sales figures because in a chicken vs egg scenario considering theft predates video games the numbers would have never shown a loss because the levels of loss extend beyond the medium and remain consistent.

My point is, this is the sort of opinion promotion topic I expect to show up from random threads on the forums, Not in paid for featured news articles. Very irresponsible ,extremely inappropriate and devoid of anything that could be seen as journalistic integrity. Honestly I expected better. This instead feels rather.... Grunewaldian

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Regarding the PC pirate list, in a way it sorta makes sense for PC gamers to pirate those games in particular. Crysis 2 (apparently) ended up being a real slap in the face to PC gamers. MW3 (And all CoD games since MW2 for that matter) by now is well known for its shit single player and lack of dedicated servers. Lastly, Battlefield 3 had that origin spyware bullshit, as well as that server selection thing that I can't remember the name of.

In other words, all 3 of those games slapped PC gamers in some way, and so it could very well be possible that some (or even alot of) people decided to pirate those games because they did not want to pay the devs/publishers for being wankers to begin with.

That's my opinion for the top 3 on that list, anyway. As for #4 and #5... I know bugger all about that FIFA game, since I am pretty much brain-dead when it comes to sports. Portal 2... well it is really unfortunate to see an actually good game get pirated that much. Then again (in my opinion), Portal 2 was definitely not worth its $50 pricetag when it came out because of it's almost utter lack of replayability. I could (sort of) see that as a reason for people to pirate it.

Had I not gotten Portal 2 as a gift, I most certainly would not have bought a ~12-15 hour gameplay experience for $50, but rather to wait until its price had been beaten down by Steam sales. I'm taking the same approach with Arkham City as well: the game might be good, but I won't buy it unless I get at least as many hours of gameplay out of it as dollars that I spent for it.

That's just my opinion though. :eek:

P.S. I never have pirated a game. Though if EA forces me to download that spyware shit called Origin to be able to play ME3 and/or continues its childish attitude by refusing to put games on Steam, I just might consider it no matter how distasteful I find piracy. >_<