TorrentFreak Reveals Top Pirated Games of 2011

Seraj

Nov 27, 2010
I'm not biased for/against pirating, both have valid argument and no amount of internet raging is going to stop people from doing it.

But... those statistics are wrong.

First, like so many people have already said, for most pirates its not a choice between buy or pirate. Its more like, pirate or drop it. So the $42m value is off by quite a bit.

On another note, there are a hell of a lot of countries where copyright laws are non-existent, and I'm not talking about China, they at least deal with some of it. It is the whole of the middle-east, Africa (minus South africa? not sure), a lot of Asia and I'm not too sure about south america. In these countries you will not find a legal copy of a game, they do not exist. At all.

Game shops in these countries are all pirates, so they download one copy of the game, and then burn on to ~20 CDs. So essentially, the numbers you see above are off by quite a bit.

If these big game companies want to increase their revenues by cutting down on pirating, the smartest move would be to try and ship legal games to these other countries or get copyright laws into these countries indirectly. I'm currently in Libya and I know a lot of gamers that would love to support the developers of their favourite games.

Currently in Libya the only legal games you can buy are ps3 games, and they sell them for rip off prices, the cheapest you'll find is about the equivalent of £40, and the most expensive (e.g MW3) for £125. If I was faced with that choice, I think I'd pirate(which I'm not, 3 cheers for steam!). (the stated prices are before the revolution and everything tripled in price)

Sorry for the wall of text....

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
The Plunk said:
This confirms my suspicions that most people pirate games because they want to know if their computers can run it before they buy it. Why else would Crysis 2 be the most pirated?
Because people want to play the game and not pay for it.
Also, I remember Crysis 2 having a demo. That told me I could run the game without doing anything that a court of law would consider illegal.

Mar 5, 2011
saregos said:
Mike Kayatta said:
saregos said:
snip
snip
Saregos, you are 100% right. Not being able to install a game you just bought at a local game store is the must frustrating thing in that world.

OT: Companies need to look at piracy not as a threat to be squashed but as a competitor who not only is more convenient for there main customer base but also deals all over the world in places where games are extremely hard to come by.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
GonzoGamer said:
Sober Thal said:
Billions of dollars worth of product distributed that wasn't payed for.

Yes, that is a loss. Damn asshats.
You don't really think that all those people who pirated it would have really bought their own copy if pirating wasn't possible, do you? If pirating wasn't possible, the shoplifting numbers would just go back up.
It's still a loss... it just isn't 'lost sales' it's the far more nebulous concept of 'devaluation of IP'... which means the potential earnings/worth of the IP have been lowered rather than the loss of actual money.

The problem is that if you tried to explain to the layman about how an IP's value is estimated and consequently how it gains and loses value, most would say "Ugh, shut up, you're making my head hurt." That, and if they wrapped their heads fully around how things have their value estimated by corporations (it breaks down to being 'educated guesswork') they'd never take corporations seriously again... this is not a bad thing but corporations don't like it. Remember, these are the sorts of people who call making a profit that wasn't as big as their projected profit a 'loss'.
Definitely, they have to do that, if just for tax reasons. I understand why it's officially a loss.
However it's weird that they use it to try and guilt legitimate consumers with the data. My point was that it's not money that they would otherwise realistically be making.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
"The industry faces yet another year of massive loss while gamers pilfer more than a billion dollars worth of virtual goods."

*sighs* I am disappointed escapist.. Thats the view of a 10 year old, EA, Ubisoft, and Holywood.

edit: I apologize to the 10 year olds.

deofayte

Jan 16, 2010
Most people who pirate arn't actually willing to fork out cash for the games they pirate, so a pirated game is most definitely not a lost sale.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
"The data for these estimated download numbers is collected by TorrentFreak from several sources, including reports from all public BitTorrent trackers."
From the TorrentFreak article.

Until they document how they have come up with these numbers and what methodology they have used, I call bullsh!t on these numbers.

How have they checked that each of the tracked downloads is not just the number of IP's that have taken part in the swarm at one point. How have they checked that each IP counted has downloaded a complete copy which could be run. How have they checked that there are not lots of replications of the same download because people's IP address change due to ISP address being dynamically handed out on different days. How have they checked that each torrent they have collected stats from is actually a valid copy of the game and not just some rubbish. How are they checking that the stats they get from one tracker is not also appearing in another tracker since different trackers share info. Until these questions are answered no-one should put any faith in these ESTIMATES which have no margin of error listed.

Also if you pirate BF3 and MW3, doesn't that mean you only get access to 1/4 of the game, i.e only the single player part. Therefore each download of those games can only be attributed to at most a loss of 1/4 of the price of the game new.

These estimates will now be repeated by everyone as fact when they may not have any basis in reality. In the same way that the total estimate made by the Witcher 2 maker keeps being repeated as fact. I would have been slightly more believing if Witcher 2 had appeared on the list with numbers that tallied with the estimate made before.

These estimates will be used as the reasons why more hash DRM will be rolled out. DRM that will only annoy the people who actually always buy the games (like me) rather than the pirates who never have to worry about it. Shame on this article....

The Cheshire

May 10, 2011
I pirated Metro 2033, when I saw I was enjoying it, I entered Steam and bought it cause the developers do deserve to get the cash for such a great game, and it would be inmoral not to do so. Same think done with Deus Ex: Human Revolution, I wasn't expecting much but seeing it was actually quite awesome, bought it too.

I also downloaded Far Cry 2 some time ago, I wanted to try if I liked the gameplay, as I wasn't entirely sure the sandbox shooter scheme they chose was going to be functional. If I had spent 60? in such a shitty game, I would hate myself and Ubi. I played like two hours, then trashed it, not only it wasn't worth the price, it wasn't even worth the time.

I bought Skyrim for Xbox 360 cause my computer can't run it on good detail. Then I got a pirated PC version just to mess around with mods and console commands.

These are a few examples where the game downloaded is not a sell lost. Well, maybe a sell lost for Far Cry 2, but it would have been a misguided, horrible sell.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
*sniffs* Smells like butthurt capitalism in here.

1. Not every download is a lost sale
2. The industry isn't hurting. At all.
3. And looking at the lists posted... I wouldn't pay for those shit games either.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The Plunk said:
Mike Kayatta said:
The Plunk said:
Mike Kayatta said:
The Plunk said:
This confirms my suspicions that most people pirate games because they want to know if their computers can run it before they buy it. Why else would Crysis 2 be the most pirated?

Also, it would interesting to know how many times Witcher 2 was actually pirated.

Mike Kayatta said:
The industry faces yet another year of massive loss
Do you have any evidence to back up this statement or are you just making it up?
I'm just making it up. All (conservatively) 100 million copies of various games illegally downloaded last year were all for demo purposes. Every single person who downloaded them promptly quit after playing thirty minutes, deleted the file, and purchased the game legitimately. Not even one person was interested in a game, but chose to downloaded it off BitTorrent instead of buying it. There's no way the industry lost even a dollar off of this legitimate and wholesome practice, so yeah, I'm making it up. Ya got me!
That's not the part I called you out on. I wanted you to back up your statement that 2011 was a year of massive loss for the industry, and that that loss was caused by piracy and not by, oh I don't know, THE GLOBAL ECONOMIC CRISIS.
I'm sorry, I failed to read the obviously implied "and that that loss was caused by piracy and not by, oh I don't know, THE GLOBAL ECONOMIC CRISIS" when you wrote "Do you have any evidence to back up this statement." Won't happen again.
You still haven't given any evidence to back up your statement of
The industry faces yet another year of massive loss
because it's not true, as most sources like this [http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/05/video-game-industry-continues-major-growth-gartner-says/] say that the game industry continues to grow. So it's really just sensationalist bullshit.
Protip... there's more than one definition of "massive loss" in this context.

You're insisting that he's talking about the games industry suffering major financial loss, when he's obviously talking about massive sales loss.

The evidence is the article. You don't have your games pirated dozens of millions of times without losing enormous amounts of potential revenue, end of. And whether or not the industry is still growing, it could have grown much more without pirates existing, end of.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Mike Kayatta said:
Irridium said:
People pirated Crysis 2 the most?

Why?
I think that Crysis is known as a bit of a benchmark, so many people likely downloaded it to see how it would run on their rigs.
If you were to read TFA, it probably has more to do with Crysis 2 being released more than a month before via torrents, with the usual drama, the Dev lying and saying that it was a beta version, blaiming piracy for all the evils in the world, etc.

Also, both the linked article and your title (and the one used to link it on /. ) are very missleading. What they messured was not the "Top 10 Most Pirated Games of 2011" at all, but an estimate of the times a game was downloaded via a public torrent tracking site, no more or less, and theres a freaking huge difference; I don't know how piracy operates in the rest of the world but in Latin America if you were to do a serious game piracy study you would come to realize that most of the PC pirates indeed download from the sites, but most of the console pirates buy actual video game discs from pirate video game sellers. That's what sometimes grinds my gears, the average publisher will cry about piracy in the PC and say that it forces them to move their focus to the consoles, but the numbers liked led me to belive that piracy is in the same league on the Xbox and Wii, of course with no studies it's all speculation.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
The one thing that makes me sad is that CoD MW3 is somehow still topping lists. Well, at the very least, people actually BOUGHT Skyrim and are giving Bethesda money for their hard work.

Also, Pirates of the Caribbean? Jeez, this either shows Wii pirates are uncreative, or that the Wii really is a failure of a console.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
ThunderCavalier said:
The one thing that makes me sad is that CoD MW3 is somehow still topping lists. Well, at the very least, people actually BOUGHT Skyrim and are giving Bethesda money for their hard work.

Also, Pirates of the Caribbean? Jeez, this either shows Wii pirates are uncreative, or that the Wii really is a failure of a console.
Yeah, it is sad that MW3 is topping the charts but even more sad that Skyrim is selling like it is in the condition the game is in. The vast amount of bugs and general unplayability of the game is sickening. And this is coming from someone who did pay for Skyrim brand new.

As for the Wii being a failure of a console?

hahaohwow.jpg

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
Mike Kayatta said:
Irridium said:
People pirated Crysis 2 the most?

Why?

Also, do they have numbers for how much Witcher 2 was pirated? I believe pretty much everyone, including the developers, thought that it was 4.5 million or more. Would be nice to know the actual area of the numbers. Since it's obviously not that much, otherwise it'd be on the list.
I think that Crysis is known as a bit of a benchmark, so many people likely downloaded it to see how it would run on their rigs. Notice that the console version of game wasn't on the top five of the other list. That may point to a PC-specific reason deeper than gamers just "wanting that game the most." That's just my personal speculation, though.
Id like to think that, but considering the support the community gave to crytek by NOT downloading the leaked version BEFORE realizing that crytek had lied, and sold out to the console market, and ported it over to the pc with a lack of basic graphic options and implementations that were present in the previous crysis titles... yeah i prob think that is the more likely reason for the high number of illegally downloaded copies. If anything game developers / publishers should see this as a reason to not screw over your fan base... Battlefield 3 - origin and battlelog crap that no one asked for, or wanted, MW3 lack of ranked dedicated servers again, after the dent in sales it caused from mw2...

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
Heh 3. Xenoblade Chronicles (950,000)

I wonder how many people imported it vs pirated.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
[sarcasm]Oh don't worry I'm sure those were all one person re-downloading them several (million) times to test them and they bought them all legit afterwards.[/sarcasm]

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
And as far as I can tell, this doesn't include the many pirated games sold on disc in places where the "official" copy is hard to get. In Brazil, for instance, you can buy pirated Xbox 360 discs in plastic sleeves for much less than the full product. Of course, that's harder to clamp down on, but game devs could perhaps make more money in markets like that with better pricing.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
rolfwesselius said:
either you refuse to acknowledge that much of the pc gaming scene has become a festering pit of pirates pirating everything they have a remote interest in playing and ruining the name of good pc gamers hell considering the circumstances (the shitty economy) there were precious few tragedies like crysis this year
so now please think before saying developers are whining about piracy on pc and using it as a reason to not develop for it because they arent its a sad sorry state for all pc gamers developers and publishers.
I'm pointing out that their so called "safe bubble" of console games are not so safe against pirates when compared to PC games. Sure the statistics show that PC games get pirated more than consoles, but the console games are *still* getting pirated--as I pointed out with a KINECT game. I don't think there are any good emulators for current generation consoles yet, so that means if a person downloaded a pirated KINECT game, they could only play it on a JAILBROKEN Xbox 360 console.

Piracy numbers like those make developers/publishers wary of working on the PC, so they may hold back on it for awhile (which may happened for "Arkham City", "Bastion", and "Alan Wake") so they could get a few sales on the CONSOLES before releasing them on the PC. The developer for the "Puzzle Quest" games released their games first on the Nintendo DS and PSP before the PC since they could maximize their profit that way. But that is a foolish fantasy for developers/publishers to think their game is safe from pirates if they release it as a console exclusive while neglecting PC gamers.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
GonzoGamer said:
You don't really think that all those people who pirated it would have really bought their own copy if pirating wasn't possible, do you? If pirating wasn't possible, the shoplifting numbers would just go back up.
How exactly would you shoplift a video game? They don't keep the games in the cases.

You'd have to like...rob the store at gunpoint.