Toshiba Shows Huge Glasses-Free 3D TVs Playing Final Fantasy XIII

Oct 14, 2010
DarkRyter said:
Well, it is true I kinda hate 3d for making wear double glasses and look like an idiot.

Now, I can wear single glasses, and look like an idiot for other reasons.
I, too, am pleased for the chance to revel in this newfound freedom.

Jul 22, 2009
If the reviews are good, I will have upgraded my current HDTV to a glasses-free 3DTV within 3 years.

It's not required, but the techs only going to get better and more widely used, and as it is that SDTVs are now sub-par, so it will be that HDTVs are not as good as 3D.

Chameliondude

Jul 21, 2009
We've seen glassesless 3D before, and you only got the 3d effect in sweetspots around the room which is really inconvenient for multiple people and everyday use. Unless they have solved this problem... in which case could be promising

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Cool. Next stop - holograms. And then - holodeck!

I always thought Samsung will be the first to figure out 3d TV without glasses. I don't care I'm just glad someone did it. Glasses suck.

goddz001

Aug 5, 2009
but why would anyone wanna play that terrible game again except for the joy of it now being horendous in 3D? xD

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Well, it was obvious that it was coming, and I think that this will indeed pave the way for more mainstream 3D technology being brought into households as a common object, once the price becomes more affordable in a few years time of course.

...unless.

One thing that's concerning me is the viewing angle of the TV - from what I remember doesn't glasses-free 3D mean a very small angle at which the TV can be viewed (hence only small screens having glasses-free 3D)? If this problem is present, then I think that there is going to be a great big question mark over the TV. However advanced a device is, if it's got any major and glaring inconveniences, consumers won't buy it. It's as simple as that.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Good. Now work on making it cheaper, and I might actually consider thinking about eventually trying to contemplate getting a 3D TV one day.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Needing to be in strict certian positions or at certain angles sounds incredibly counter-intuitive since movie watching is suppost to be a lesuire activity

Accountfailed

May 27, 2009
Saving money starts now, Adam wants himself some 3D!

Also, did anybody actually buy a with glasses 3d TV? If so, I feel sorry for your wallet.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
Too many questions to give a good answer.

How much extra does it cost?

How does it work? Do you have to be in a certain position? Do you have to do anything odd to see the 3D?

I'm not paying a bunch of extra money to have to stare at it like one of those Magic Eye? pictures.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Awesomeness. Now just to mass produce it and lower costs to, say, roughly current HDTV prices.

2up

Jun 15, 2009
My answer is yes I would buy a 56 inch around 2 grand if it were available today.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Yes, I bougth a 32 inch 720ppp screen and I now i want a 1080 one but now I'll wait for this to be sold here and the prices to drop a little.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Nurb said:
Needing to be in strict certian positions or at certain angles sounds incredibly counter-intuitive since movie watching is suppost to be a lesuire activity
So... do you watch a lot of movies moving around and not sitting down in one place?

I don't understand what's counter-intuitive about watching a movie or playing a game in the same place you've been doing it before anyway.

Jeffro Tull

Sep 27, 2010
sravankb said:
I wouldn't get one of those despite how impressive the technology might seem. Not because I don't think it's good, but because it's new tech; developers (games or movies) are gonna have trouble dealing with it initially. I might think about buying a few months/an year later.
They seem to already be having troubles cranking out decent content with the existing tech. Right now 3d is just a costly headache when it comes to home entertainment. I'm saying this and I've always had a softspot for 3d movies, but the content that we have to choose from at the moment is kinda lame. Coraline, and Avatar both used this tech brilliantly (Megamind wasn't bad), but the rest of the movies are kind of thrown together and lack luster. 3D gaming is cool, but I'll wait til better 3d movies come out (if that ever happens). Of course I havn't seen Toy Story 3 or Tron yet.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Man, people who have bought the 3D tvs with the need for glasses are gonna be pissed off with this news.

kingmob

Jan 20, 2010
I honestly don't mind the glasses, as long as they are passive and therefore cheap and not so unwieldy. From the usual 3D reactions here I gather most people have the awkward active glasses in mind. I think people can be swayed with 5-10 dollar glasses that actually fit well.

Personally I think the polarisation options is the better and cheaper one. I doubt this TV will sway me on either point, even though it is an impressive feat.