Total Game Request Live

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Total Game Request Live

The music video is dead but videogames are here to take its place.

Read Full Article

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
Have you played "Fire and Forget [http://robfitz.org/fireandforget/]"? It was in the IGF student showcase a few years back. It's a 2 minute space shooter with a rhythm-game twist, but the whole package is basically intended to showcase a catchy song.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Ever musician should take notes from Blind Guardian and Sacred 2. As you are exploring the world you run into a guy who has lost all of his band equipment. Take him around and get it back. If you do you are rewarded with this (spoilers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fakNlghOJY

hansari

May 31, 2009
tendo82 said:
Total Game Request Live

The music video is dead but videogames are here to take its place.
Without a doubt, the video game industry can fill that niche. RockBand and GuitarHero can serve as a means to introducing new bands to a targeted audience.

Not everyone is a gamer though, so I doubt it would be a good idea for the music industry to invest so much into it.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Snobs will claim the music video died the around the time Spike Jonze and Michel Gondry started making movies instead of videos,
Michel Gondrey is god tier.

Oh yes, and this is one of the many reason I want MTV to DIE!

Feb 8, 2009
No more TRL? I never remember it having music I liked on it anyway, but still, no more music videos sucks.

At least I still have Rock Band.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
This further extends the absolute truth that the world needs a sequel to Rez.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true. One with trippier music and more diversity in the images. But they need to keep the War Buddha Pose.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
I'd like to see these kind of games, but I don't know if there are enough people willing to put the work in.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
There's a zombie on your lawn.
We don't want zombies on the lawn.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
squid5580 said:
Ever musician should take notes from Blind Guardian and Sacred 2. As you are exploring the world you run into a guy who has lost all of his band equipment. Take him around and get it back. If you do you are rewarded with this (spoilers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fakNlghOJY
That was amazing. I hope more metal bands jump on the wagon. I'd love to see Nightwish or Within Temptation in an RPG. They'd fit so well.

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
"For those in my generation, and to an even greater extent for the previous generation, this is a big loss."

So sad too bad Tom....

For those of us old enough to remember a MUSIC industry and not an IMAGE industry supported by generic background music. The false premise that the music video is dead.... is music to our ears. I wish you were right... but your wrong...

Music is doomed, videos did it, they arnt going away.

Now go watch the latest Brittany vid and be happy with the nauseating mediocrity your generation has created.

Me Ill go push replay on Led Zep II and remind myself that people USED to know how to play instruments and write songs...

pfffft...

the1ultimate

Apr 7, 2009
I think he has it right. People listen to music to relax, and I definitely feel that even Audiosurf demands too much of you to truly immerse yourself in music.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
I think the new Beatles: Rock Band is sort of going in this direction.

Since the Beatles didn't go on tour for the latter half of their career, Harmonix made what are essentially music videos to go along with the songs.

I think we'll definitely start to see more interaction between game developers and musicians. There's no doubt some of those musicians would like to see something more creative done with their music, and I'm sure there are developers who would like to try.