Total Troll Does it Again: Another CA/Sega Success Story (Also Review, updated continiously).

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Good god CA and/or SEGA are shortsighted. They released Total Warhammer, and it's sitting at 59% user approval-rating on Steam (246 positive, 170 negative) right now. Why? Because apparently the game won't even launch for a decent chunk of the users. Crashes right out of the gate.
This sort of thing is exactly what the Beta-test is for. And obviously, the haven't beta-tested.
Oh, don't get me wrong, they have obviously played the game over and over to fix certain bugs, but they've only played it on THEIR machines with THEIR specs.
I haven't gotten around to playing the game yet,because naturally, even if you pre-load the game, it instantly has to patch for 30-min when you first want to play it. Of course, this might patch out some launch-issues, but that just reinforces my point; there shouldn't be any launch issues. If you ever have to patch something that critical on launch-day, you have fundamentally failed at game-design.

So, how has your experience been so far? Did you pre-order?

I "pre-ordered" 12h before launch, so I got the free stuff, attempting to minimize the benefit SEGA could draw from my pre-order (and thus the extent they can continue to screw us over), but in all honesty even that was probably in error. A not insignificant part of me wonders if even buying a game a week after launch (or perhaps longer?) contributes to the kind of mentality which leads to the creation of these broken games. "Oh, people will just pre-order/buy on launchday anyway. We can patch the obvious-beta problems then".

Edit: Fuck it. Starting a running review, updated as I go along.

Running on Win 7, i5 3.1Ghz Quadcore, 8 Gig Ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX670

* The game launched fine for me after around 2 min waiting time on the copyright-screen, where most crashes are reported (which is fairly usual for every CA-game. I think that's where they hide their loading-screens).

* On the first introduction-battle , I ordered my Lord to climb a rampart-ladder, and he disappeared into the wall and could not be commanded for the rest of the battle

* Total Way Encyclopedia is smoother than the last one. Feels less obtuse in how you navigate it. However, it also, for me, lags. When I hoover over abilities (say "Regenerating"), the text which normally pops up to provide information instead displays what I hoovered over previously, and sometimes never changes. Might just be my computer specs, we will see.

When I hit the "back"-button I got an honest-swear-to-god browser-error! "Unfortunately something has gone wrong, and we can not display the application".

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Bought it for 45 USD on GMG. Pretty much the only reason I actually pre-ordered it. So far for me game has been running perfectly smooth. Good FPS, no lag, no crashed, no nothing on the technical side. Guess some other Nvidia users are having issues, but none for me. I played for about two hours tonight, will crash, and play all day today when I wake back up.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
I've had a drop in available funds recently, and that has meant I no longer buy (most) things at launch. This is turning to be a good thing as I am missing things that turn out to be bad (I pre-ordered Colonial Marine) so this will probably continue to be my policy when I get my income sorted again as its just too likely that a game will be unplayable at launch these days, I'll wait for player reviews.

The only things I want to play at launch now are things with multiplayer integral to the game. I had loads of fun playing Dark Souls 3 recently with random summons where no one knew where they were going or what to expect, but a few weeks after launch most people seem to have read guides and know where every secret is and the most efficient way to take out bosses so I think that the first week is the best week.

Jan 19, 2016
After their pre-order shenanigans, I wasn't going to buy it until it's on heavy discount anyway. I'll play Overwatch and Witcher in the meantime.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
saying its buggy as all buggery is an understatement, i cant do any quest battles or intro tutorials because the game freezes or ctd's on me.. weirdly normal battles are fine.

the game is harder ive noticed than normal total war games as well

the encyclopaedia is annoying as always, having to wait 15-20 seconds for it to load up a webpage is frustrating enough to stop me doing it. i miss the old days where it loaded instantly in total war games.

fun but buggy

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
On one hand, I feel sorry for everyone who's having issues playing the game. Poor performance on day one is an industry problem that hurts us all.

On the other hand...

Serves you all right for buying a game with such terrible pre-order/early adopter policies. It's almost enough to make me believe in cosmic justice.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Elfgore said:
Bought it for 45 USD on GMG. Pretty much the only reason I actually pre-ordered it. So far for me game has been running perfectly smooth. Good FPS, no lag, no crashed, no nothing on the technical side. Guess some other Nvidia users are having issues, but none for me. I played for about two hours tonight, will crash, and play all day today when I wake back up.
I can also confirm that nothing went wrong with the game for me aswell. I am using an Nvidia GTX 970.

But that was my first time playing the game. I worry what will happen if I launch it the second time though.