Total War: China Announced

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Bedinsis said:
The Chinese ministry of culture bans any media that depicts China as anything other than a united country. For this reason I suspect Chinese players will have a harder time getting hold of it, which is a shame for them.

I cannot say anything more, since I've only played one Total War game and I didn't like it.
inu-kun said:
I don't think it's true for more than millenia ago China: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Cliff_(film)
Pretty much, being one of THE 4 great classical works of Chinese literature probably gives you some leeway. Hence the long, long list of Chinese adaptations ranging from comics, tv-series, movies, plays, (mobile) games and a really popular card game.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Reply to all: my source was one of Robert Rath's columns here where he said Victoria II was banned in China for that reason(or at least the expansion that made China functionally several countries was); I am not able to find it at this moment.

It makes sense that it would be allowed if it's based on a piece of literature rather than history; I thought Total War games were primarily history based. Apologies for making assumptions.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Bedinsis said:
Reply to all: my source was one of Robert Rath's columns here where he said Victoria II was banned in China for that reason(or at least the expansion that made China functionally several countries was); I am not able to find it at this moment.

It makes sense that it would be allowed if it's based on a piece of literature rather than history; I thought Total War games were primarily history based. Apologies for making assumptions.
Well, its based on literature based on history. The Three Kingdoms was a real historical period of China, but the period is so glorified and romanticized that if anything, China, even now, would be like "Look how awesome our history is".

I honestly have no idea what China's 'official' views on media about that era is though, hence why I asked you about how they view Dynasty Warriors. If anything, Id imagine they would mostly hate that it wasnt made by China.

Edit: I did find this. Not exactly anything official, but its something.

https://www.quora.com/What-do-Chinese-people-think-of-the-Dynasty-Warriors-franchise

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
ChupathingyX said:
And of course, as usual, the Wu forces/Sun family is given very little focus.
Eh, they are the lesser faction though. Maybe if Sun Ce had lived long enough, it would have been different, but most of Wu was them siding with Shu, and sometimes siding with Wei.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Bedinsis said:

As far as I understand China's stance on its' own history, it is quite alright to discuss the Three Kingdoms, the Yuan dynasty (which was created by invading Mongols) and the Qing dynasty (led by Manchurians). What China objects to is depictions of "modern China", roughly starting around the Boxer rebellion, as a fractured or divided country. The purpose is to diminish the legitimacy of Taiwan as a nation and prop up the legitimacy of the People's Republic of China. Integral to the PRCs image as a legitimate nation (as opposed to the rebels that won the civil war) is that China was unified and the the Communists were the rulers the people wanted, instead of just one of several splinter groups that eventually won a bloody civil war.

So if you talk about the Three Kingdoms, that's all cool because that's history. If you try to talk about the Xi'an Incident or the existence of the Kuomingdang, that's definitely not cool because those are things that the PRC leadership want people to forget, in favor of their manufactured version of modern Chinese history.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Saelune said:
ChupathingyX said:
Eh, they are the lesser faction though. Maybe if Sun Ce had lived long enough, it would have been different, but most of Wu was them siding with Shu, and sometimes siding with Wei.
If we're talking about the novel then maybe, but historically? Definitely not. I assumed this was meant to be CA's next 'big' historical title, and if so it would be nice if they actually acknowledged what happened historically.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
ChupathingyX said:
That kinda chaffed me, as well. The political maneuvering of the Sun Wu kingdom was some of the more interesting stuff in the era, and they outlived both the Shu Han and the Wei as a result. Though to be fair we don?t have all the info for this game yet.

Ah well, most stories lean too hard on the ?shu=good, wei=evil? aspect, so they don?t have any room to spare for Wu

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
Meh. Is this going to be really bland unit-wise, like Shogun was? With the story focussed campaigns of Attila, which totally restricted all freedom of the player?

I miss the good old TW days.