Toughest Boss, Mini-Boss or Both Fight You Have Faced

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
The Marionette -Shining Force

Once you know what you're doing this boss is fairly easy, but on your first time through, its powers are well beyond anything you've come across at that point. It's the first boss with regenerating HP, has quite a high dodge chance, and uses Freeze Lvl 3. Up to this point in the game, you would have only encountered the first version of this spell. Level 3 has a longer range than anything you've encountered up to this point, can hit up to 5 party members, and does enough damage to one-shot the medium to low health allies.

The Chess Board -Shining Force 2

By far the hardest battle in the game. You are outnumbered, and every single one of the enemies is stronger than any of your party members at this stage of the game. It's a huge difficulty spike that basically says "your party members must be around this level in order to continue." The only real option is to try and lure out the King and then throw everything at him in the hopes that you won't be decimated before landing the killing blow. Easier said than done.

JaKandDaxter

War does change
Jan 10, 2009
Between Demons Souls and Dark Souls 1, the boss I had the toughest time with was Maneater. Unlike Ornstein and Smough, who I did not have trouble with. Maneater will shortly spawn an identical twin, and you'll be fighting in tighter quarters. One of the biggest issues with the idential twin, is on screen you can't exactly tell which is which just by looking. Making it more difficult to focus your energy taking one of them out. And they can both fly, changing the battle perspective and angles you have to be alert to on the dime. I did beat Maneater on the 2nd try, but I had some frustrating close calls.

I think the boss I had the most trouble with, is the final battle with Sepiroth in Final Fantasy 7. The last portion of the battle took probably 20 or more times to beat. He can cast some pretty devastating spells, both attack and status effects spells. Really screwing with your party, and making it difficult or impossible to revive fallen allies. Fortunately my dropped save point wasn't far from the battle site, saving me additional frustration. I finally beat him once I put everyone on the last row, realizing I just had to survive to beat him since he doesn't regenerate health. The battle was on the longer side. But I kept the attack on each turn, healing with two (out of three) people when need be. And he eventually went down.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Lazarevic from Uncharted 2. Not because he is hard per se, its just that his boss battle has NO check points, he will often blow up the explosives (unintentionally) that you are supposed to use to damage him, and it's just so tedious. I haven't been as mad at a game before.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ludwig the Accursed/the Holy Blade from Bloodborne. I must have died to him at least fifty times. His method of charging forward like the feral monster that he is proved to be highly effective, and he only got harder when he pulled out a twenty foot long sword and started impaling my ass on it. Lady Maria didn't give me anywhere near that much trouble. (Though I haven't beaten the Orphan of Kos yet either)

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
Without doubt Mike Tyson from Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! for the NES.

The previous fight was hard as is, but the game has a fairly nice difficulty curve up until that point then BAM Tyson starts dishing out one-hit-KO uppercuts that require perfect timing to dodge. It's no wonder he's considered one of the hardest boss fights in history, still haven't beaten him myself if I'm honest.
For added fun, here's a video of the man himself attempting to defeat himself.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Manus in dark souls.
Erratic as hell moveset combined with ridiculous amounts of health make this easily the most unfun boss in the game.
Say what you want about ornstein and smough but at least there are tools in the game to kill them (and every single boss before them) in 1 hit [https://youtu.be/IhDK8LWRqcI?t=6m16s].

No such luck for chip chip away healthtank manus.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Babel from Devil Survivor. I went through so much hardship just to make it to that point and I couldn't beat it, and even after getting the re-release with bonus content and an easy mode, the trauma I suffered from that boss has made it so I can't even get past the two bosses leading up to it.

So much of what makes SMT games hard is unfair toughness by forcing you to grind for literally DAYS to get specific combinations of demons and abilities to deal with a fight and then expect you to do that AGAIN when you get to the next boss fight.

The Almighty Aardvark said:
Not sure if it's the hardest, but anyone here ever play Custom Robo? Remember Rahu III? To give an idea of how hard he is, one of the main mechanics of the game is that when you get hit enough you'll get knocked down for a period. During this period you're unable to move, and people can get some free hits on you for a couple of seconds. It also has the advantage off taking out all of your projectile weapons currently firing, which can be an absolute godsend. After being knocked down, you get a couple seconds of rebirth where you're briefly invulnerable, to avoid getting stunlocked.

Rahu III? He doesn't get knocked down. When you deal enough damage to him to knock him down, he'll go straight into rebirth mode. Add onto this the fact that he has the longest fly time (Making it so he's almost always moving) and a gun that basically fills the screen with projectiles, and you'll be hard pressed to find the time to take a shot at him without having 20 of his coming straight your way.

You get two partners to offset this, but if you're not quick enough they'll both be dead leaving you with his full attention
Ah.... I wish there had been more of those story Custom Robo games. I rather enjoyed the story and the gameplay was a lot of fun.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Nine-ball Seraph from Armored Core 2: Another Age. Dude spends half the fight moving too fast to reliably hit and the other half spamming energy blasts that will 2-shot a Heavy Mech and 1-shot anything smaller.

I've never beaten Nine-ball, and that's coming from someone who S-Ranked "Assault on Arteria Carpals" (which itself could easily qualify if Optional Bosses and/or Bosses you never beat aren't allowed.)

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
The first few times I fought Brachydios in Monster Hunter.

That thing is designed to stick to the player. You barely get any thinking time or space to plan out your next move. It also has several unique moves that make it hard to counterattack.

That being said, now that I've learnt its patterns, it is far more manageable now. You still need to take it seriously, though. A couple of dodges in the wrong direction can very easily get you screwed.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
ANY final boss from King of Fighters games can be considered the toughest boss in fighting games, but this title should definitely belong to Rugal in KoF 94. He is so tough that even developers admited that they kind of overdid it.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I don't know. We needed 200 high level players to defeat Antharas in Lineage 2, and that was a nightmare to control. Including the my internet connection back then wasn't the best. I think we spent 40 hours trying to take that giant prick down.

Sable Gear said:
-Dark Link in Ocarina of Time used to give me a lot of trouble as a young'un. I was so used to every other humanoid monster's pattern of block-coutnerstrike while staying locked on, it never occurred to me to try toggling my targeting. Now its a disappointing beatdown because I always get the Biggoron's Sword as soon as I unfreeze the Zora King.
Ever try using the hammer on him? I always kept ruining the challenges for myself in the classic Zelda games by just trying all the weapons :p

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
loa said:
Manus in dark souls.
Erratic as hell moveset combined with ridiculous amounts of health make this easily the most unfun boss in the game.
Say what you want about ornstein and smough but at least there are tools in the game to kill them (and every single boss before them) in 1 hit [https://youtu.be/IhDK8LWRqcI?t=6m16s].

No such luck for chip chip away healthtank manus.
Manus is tough, but he is one of those bosses where you can just chuck on Havel's or Giant's armour, use a good shield, tank all his hits, and chug estus when you need to. Perhaps not the noblest way to go about things but it gets the job done.

Nazulu said:
Sable Gear said:
-Dark Link in Ocarina of Time used to give me a lot of trouble as a young'un. I was so used to every other humanoid monster's pattern of block-coutnerstrike while staying locked on, it never occurred to me to try toggling my targeting. Now its a disappointing beatdown because I always get the Biggoron's Sword as soon as I unfreeze the Zora King.
Ever try using the hammer on him? I always kept ruining the challenges for myself in the classic Zelda games by just trying all the weapons :p
I don't know whether something I do glitches him out but I've always just beaten Dark Link by mashing the attack button. I didn't realise he was supposed to be some kind of special challenge.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
SmallHatLogan said:
Nazulu said:
I don't know whether something I do glitches him out but I've always just beaten Dark Link by mashing the attack button. I didn't realise he was supposed to be some kind of special challenge.
Well he won't be a special challenge to anyone if they use the hammer.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Saelune said:
Alpha-152 in Dead or Alive 4.
Out of curiosity because I haven't played the game, but where does she stand in relation with Jinpachi from Tekken 5? I enjoy reading and ranking bullshit fighting game bosses.

Because fuck Jinpachi. A fireball projectile move that's deceptively difficult to dodge, does at least half your health, can fire twice in a row and a stun move that is near instantaneous,can hit you when knocked down AND loves to follow up with aforementioned fireball that you now won't have any time to dodge. Not even factoring the usual fighting game boss bullshit.

Moving away from fighting games, from Dragon's Dogma comes the infamous Chamber of Fate. This is a room in the post-game that has a Lich, a Chimera and a Gore-chimera (a chimera upgrade that can regenerate heads and has a head that really loves to cast heal). So a room with three "massive" enemies where each individual could count as a boss fight, daunting right? Well, here is the "fun" bit; the lich can fly AND regularly summons packs of hellhounds.

Now, if you have never played the postgame of Dragon's Dogma, hellhounds are THE biggest pains in the ass in the game, possibly ANY game. They attack in packs, are virtually unstaggerable, are immune to fire spells, love to knock down and drag party members far from the battlefield to chew on them AND have a fire breath that hits like a freight train and is a sure knockdown which tends to be followed up by the drag attack by one of the pack.

So you have to climb and fight massive enemies WHILE having to deal with constantly summoned arseholes who love to knock you down from afar and drag you away from, say, a boss that's about to cast a healing spell. This is not even factoring the annoying spells the lich slings at you from just out of jump attack range.

I accidentally crippled myself by coming as a warrior which has no ranged attacks and whose melee has a lot of windup so I had to depend on the braindead AI helpers to take out the flying Lich bastard, which of course, they were shite at if they weren't busy being turned into dog kibble.

The only time I have ever thrown a controller in frustration. Fuck that room.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
M0rp43vs said:
Saelune said:
Out of curiosity because I haven't played the game, but where does she stand in relation with Jinpachi from Tekken 5? I enjoy reading and ranking bullshit fighting game bosses.

Because fuck Jinpachi. A fireball projectile move that's deceptively difficult to dodge, does at least half your health, can fire twice in a row and a stun move that is near instantaneous,can hit you when knocked down AND loves to follow up with aforementioned fireball that you now won't have any time to dodge. Not even factoring the usual fighting game boss bullshit.
Been a while since I played either but from memory I would say I found Alpha a touch harder than Jinpachi both are more annoying than outright busted hard like way to many fighting game bosses are. Some are very vulnerable to a certain strat making them cakewalks once you know it like say Shao Khan in MK9 or Eyedol in Killer Instinct but are nightmares to face without it. SNK bosses especially in their older games (but XIIIs were annoying as hell much worse than Jinpachi and Alpha) are some of the worst offenders. Someone has mentioned Rugal already and I cannot disagree but there are arguably ones even harder its just I have not played them (nor do I want to) to form my own opinion.

The hardest bosses I have faced in modern fighters however would be the ones in Persona 4 Ultimax in the score attack mode I believe where you have to beat every character in a row without losing a match (because that resets it) and these characters are super powered as in many can one hit K.O you from full health and if they get a combo off on you its lights out. There are strats to beat them mostly abusing certain mixups with some characters and using the pause button to see the start up frames of their attacks so you can react in time but even then one mistake and you lose. I could never get past Chie who I believe was only the third opponent out of 12 or something stupid.

THM

Sep 27, 2014
I'm not sure about hardest, but some of the more annoying for me would be:

The Destroyer (BL1 - fucking bullet sponge)

MINAC (BL1 last DLC - another annoying bullet sponge, but one that hits back and backs me into a fucking corner)

1st turret section, Dead Space (yeah, let's just change the control set-up and not tell me, right? assholes)

Plus probably a few more bullet sponges I can't think of.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Shao Khan, from MK... I wanna say 3? Maybe it was trilogy, or both. Super fast, pulls of a ridiculous number of moves without any warning, and all of his attacks have huge range or are able to hit you wherever you are.

Seth, SF4. Fuck this guy, this guy who has like half a dozen other characters powers and who I SWEAR is reading your controller inputs and reacting to them. Sometimes you can barely land a hit whilst he backs you into a corner and stun-locks you to death.

Just fighting game bosses in general are massive dicks.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
M0rp43vs said:
Saelune said:

I think Alpha cause I remember Jinpachi being far less mobile, and was more...boss like. Alpha was more running around you doing cheap grabs. Id have to refight both to give a more fair appraisal though. Plus I'm better at Tekken than DOA.