Toughest Boss, Mini-Boss or Both Fight You Have Faced

Sharia

Nov 30, 2015
Pre-Nerf Muru from World of Warcraft was the most gruelling and stressful boss fight I have personally been engaged in. Hell was it satisfying to take down though.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
SKBPinkie said:
The first few times I fought Brachydios in Monster Hunter.

That thing is designed to stick to the player. You barely get any thinking time or space to plan out your next move. It also has several unique moves that make it hard to counterattack.

That being said, now that I've learnt its patterns, it is far more manageable now. You still need to take it seriously, though. A couple of dodges in the wrong direction can very easily get you screwed.
And Raging Brachydios takes it a step beyond that. See, the slime on its head, tail and pounders? It charges. If it gets to red, it'll blow up when you hit it. And Raging Brachydios likes to run around and leave a lot of exploding slime behind. You really, really want at least one gunner in a group going after Raging Brachydios to deal with that charging slime, otherwise...yeah, things are going to hurt for the melee hunters.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Spoiler Alert for Viewtiful Joe.

Fire Leo - skip to 18:35 on Ultra V-Rated

No skull marks, you have to dodge by listening to the sound of his attacks, and he can kill you in two hits if you're not careful.

Though the final boss is even worse; Young Captain Fucking Blue! If you are unlucky, he'll spam his lightining attacks non-stop, killing you in 4 hits or less. And God help you if you're playing as Silvia or Alastor and going for a perfect run.

Double God Hand Gene in challenge mission 51.

He has more health than the final boss, can kill you in 3-4 hits, and is crazy fast. I beat him, but it took about 15 tries. The easy thing--if you can call it that--is that he is just a really suped up version of Azel. The only thing new is about DGHG is that he has the Double Shaolin Blast.

The guy who upploaded this 8 years ago makes it look like child's play. You have to know what you are doing, or figure out all the exploits.

Oh, and Jasper Batt Junior. One of the worst final bosses ever created. Fuck you Grasshopper and those fucking windows, with the non-stop fucking teleport spamming.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Obviously it isn't difficult now, at all, but when I was younger and my hand-eye coordination wasn't as good, in the Toy Story 2 video game there was a mini boss, basically Zurg in kite form. I never would rely die during the fight itself, however he would often push me out of the top of this very high tree which, due to the aforementioned poorer coordination would take several tries to get up.

Somewhat more recently, the Atomsmasher boss in Timesplitters 2. I don't remember much about that level other than the fucking time limit and the ridiculous number of various timesplitters that would spawn in.

It isn't the hardest boss fight but dying in that level and having to restart it because something spawned in during the boss fight that shot a blast of heat seeking lightning at you can make you very angry.

That and the robot factory level were notorious for making people break things.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
Rodin from Bayonetta 2.
Like Bayonetta 1, he was the super boss you unlocked for buying the platinum ticket for 10 million halos.

Rodin took me 3-4 days to beat (mind you not marathoning, but a good 2-3 hours per day of attempts). I've never needed to spend so much time on one task in a video game before.

His fight is automatically set to infinite climax mode, AKA the hardest unlockable difficulty. He moves extremely quick, hits hard, and you don't get to use items.
His first phase isn't that bad since he can be staggered and combo'd. It's his second phase where it becomes a race.
Rodin turns into a huge demon in his second phase. He no longer flinches, hits even harder, gains new move sets, gets FASTER...
But the cherry on top is that he gets a grapple that, if it connects, drains your health to 1 pixel. If it's already there, you die.
Rodin only gives you a proper tell that he's about to grapple the first time. All grapples after that he will attempt almost instantly.
Once the fight reaches phase two, it just becomes a damage race before he can get out that second/third grapple.

For those who want to see the fight:
I could show you someone perfecting the boss, but then you can't fully grasp how tough Rodin really is.

For those who like Dark Souls. Imagine having to dodge roll out of every one of his attacks (But your dodge roll is faster and more I-Frames at its start)

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
The last chamber in the first Far Cry. Perhaps not a boss technically (you kill the "boss" mutant scientist guy a bit before, and the final villain afterward), but its just a room straight out of DOOM with a huge squad of armored bullet sponge mutant dudes with rocket launcher spam. And you are definitely not DOOMguy or wielding a BFG to handle such crap.

In current playing examples, many of Salt and Sanctuary's bosses seem to have wonky (maybe buggy?) AI in their final phases. Sometimes going absolutely nuts and spamming attacks well beyond the possibility of blocking or dodging (without grinding ludicrous stamina amounts). Early examples include Mad Alchemist suddenly going non-stop jump+magic boomerang spamming or the Kraekan Wyrm refusing to fly (the main way a non-brute melee can attack it) and just spamming its pounce continuously.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Dark Mewtwo from Pokken Tournament was insanely hard.
First proper boss in Tales of Symphonia, some fire dog thing, I had trouble with if I remember correctly.

Cryselle

Soulless Fire-Haired Demon Girl
Nov 20, 2009
For me it was Demi-Fiend from Digital Devil Saga.

You needed a fairly specific setup and effectively maxed characters to even attempt him. You need to find ways to survive an attack that does 10 times the max HP you can get, and you can't null any damage. He summons help that will full heal him. Best case scenario and you find ways to deal with most of his absolutely crazy things, his normal attacks are full party, do heavy damage, can crit (which gives him extra attacks), and put status effects like petrify, silence, and charm on you.

And he has enough HP to make it a 30+ minute fight.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Nuuu said:
Rodin from Bayonetta 2.
Like Bayonetta 1, he was the super boss you unlocked for buying the platinum ticket for 10 million halos.

Rodin took me 3-4 days to beat (mind you not marathoning, but a good 2-3 hours per day of attempts). I've never needed to spend so much time on one task in a video game before.

His fight is automatically set to infinite climax mode, AKA the hardest unlockable difficulty. He moves extremely quick, hits hard, and you don't get to use items.
His first phase isn't that bad since he can be staggered and combo'd. It's his second phase where it becomes a race.
Rodin turns into a huge demon in his second phase. He no longer flinches, hits even harder, gains new move sets, gets FASTER...
But the cherry on top is that he gets a grapple that, if it connects, drains your health to 1 pixel. If it's already there, you die.
Rodin only gives you a proper tell that he's about to grapple the first time. All grapples after that he will attempt almost instantly.
Once the fight reaches phase two, it just becomes a damage race before he can get out that second/third grapple.

For those who want to see the fight:
I could show you someone perfecting the boss, but then you can't fully grasp how tough Rodin really is.

For those who like Dark Souls. Imagine having to dodge roll out of every one of his attacks (But your dodge roll is faster and more I-Frames at its start)
I forgot about him. Thanks for mentioning Rodin. I still haven't beat him yet in either game.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Sable Gear said:
I'd have to say...

-The Boost Guardian miniboss from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. It's a frustrating damage-race in which the monster is frequently invulnerable. It hits way too hard, even harder than the area boss, you constantly take damage from the environment, and if you try to skip its in-fight transformation cutscenes, it gets a free hit on you because gameplay resumes a fraction of a second before you have control again. (Legend has it one of the Retro Studios devs could only ever beat it by putting the game into debug mode.)
From that game, it was that sea worm shark thing for me. I had a hard jump shafting left or right while being underwater (especially when I didn't get all of the healths upgrade pior to the encounter).

Other than that one, the only other one I can thing of from first time encounter is the recent one, Marie from Skullgirls.

Well ok backing up abit, I not great at the game since I been playing story mode on sleepwalk and while Marie is hard but I eventually get throught HOWEVER it was a nightmare playing as Parasoul against her! I took me far too many tries to defeat her as Peacock. I don't know why but her moveset is abit awkward especially her running animation (she just strave forward then to properly run)!

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Rom the vacuous cuntbag spider from Bloodborne. Two bloody weeks with various summons! (Not in-game time, should it be deemed necessary to disclaim ;)) I am still a wee lil' scrub really, got other shit to do, you see? Other interests. At least...that's what i keep telling myself with each soulsborne death. Le sigh.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
Honestly, the only boss in a game I've seriously struggled to beat in recent memory was...

...well, let's just say I had a bad time.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Loewe from Trails in the Sky Second Chapter. You've beaten all the enforcers up to this point, now this one person stands between you and taking down the final person. It seems like it will be another fair fight, 4 v 1 since this guy is really powerful. NOPE. He makes two clones that deals lots of damage and if you take one down before taking the actual one out he can bring out another. Worse part is the main body has a high speed, and can sometimes attack three times before it's another characters turn.

I played this fight over and over again because I could stay in top shape, only for 5 to 6 attacks to happen at once and kill my main healer and almost kill everyone else. Pray that he doesn't use his S-craft, because that can kill all your party at once if you find yourself all close together. Worst part is how even when you take the main body out, the clones are still there and you have to take them down. When I finally beat him I was so happy, it was one of the best feeling ever.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
The cake will definitely go to Sans from Undertale. But because I rage quit after the 20th attempt, I'll mention one that I managed to beat: The Abhorrent Beast from the Ailing Loran chalice dungeon in Bloodborne. For some reason, even with the poison knives strategy I was struggling more than I should.

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
There was a fighting game on the Wii called Naruto Shippuden: Clash of Ninja Revolution 3 that had a very VERY funny way of integrating bosses into its game. Instead of making the AI more advanced, like any sane fighting game would, instead the devs decided it would be a good idea to give the bosses boosted attack, health, and Super Armor. That means that no matter how hard I hit the boss, they would rarely flinch from the blow. And this was especially annoying with the Deidara boss, who's attacks were all homing and unblockable ranged attacks, and I was playing as Naruto who had no real way to close gaps. Needless to say, I sold the game without even beating the bastard.