Toughest Boss, Mini-Boss or Both Fight You Have Faced

KingWein22

Jun 4, 2010
What is the toughest Boss, Mini-Boss, or both fight you have faced during your first playthrough of a game?

For me my toughest boss fight was Ganondorf in The Wind Waker. Flailing around my weapon like crazy, hoping to land a hit was frustrating and annoying.

My toughest mini-boss fight was Dark Link from Ocarina of Time. I don't know how many times I have had a "Game Over" cause I wouldn't know what I was doing.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Alpha-152 in Dead or Alive 4. I hate that game, and the boss doesn't help. Most of her attacks take out half your health bar and are hard to avoid.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
The Empress of Time from Warrior Within is the toughest boss. When I finally got to a playthrough where I made it past her, I had gotten all available health upgrades to that point, was playing on Easy (yeah, I only played on Easy for her), and still only got through with a sliver of health left. I don't think I've seen anyone beat it without having less than a 1/4 health, and a lot of people seem to just give up by the time they reach her. Basically, imagine a Dark Souls boss fight - It's about keeping up near-perfect play against the boss for a long time. Now imagine that the boss exploits a few issues with the way the game controls, and you've got an idea of what the Empress of Time is like.

Toughest mini-boss would probably be the hidden Revenant fight in the Bercilian Forest in Dragon Age: Origin. I never beat it. I just remember summoning it once, getting thoroughly decimated quickly (didn't even take away 20% of its health), and never trying again. I've heard there's a tougher one somewhere in the game. I don't feel like searching it out.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
In final fantasy 12, there is a mini optional boss with 50 million HP. Problem is at best you can only do 9999 damage. So right off the bat at BEST you have to hit him 5000 times. Doesn't sound too bad right? Well you won't be hitting him for that every time. With buffs and debuffs sometimes dead allies and having to focus on recovery, and the fact that this guy has a couple of different phases, it makes for a very hard and long boss fight. If i remember correctly he gets regen at about 5 or 10 million hp left.

SomethingWorse

Sep 10, 2012
Easy answer, but I don't see them yet: Ornstein and Smough from Dark Souls. Holy. Hell. Must have taken me 20 tries. Eventually caved in and summoned for help, which I never had to do before that. It was kinda irritating, but it felt so good to finally win.

If you count the black knights in that game as minibosses, than those were the ones I had the most trouble with.

Hair Jordan

Mar 25, 2016
Yeah, this thread could easily just be about the Souls games. Pretty much every boss, out of the dozens out there, is harder than any other boss from just about any other modern game.

Try the third one, it's out now....

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Saelune said:
Alpha-152 in Dead or Alive 4. I hate that game, and the boss doesn't help. Most of her attacks take out half your health bar and are hard to avoid.
Yeah I hate her mainly because of her poor design and annoying as hell moves but overall as a fighting game boss she is one of the easier ones unfortunately.

Lufia Erim said:
In final fantasy 12, there is a mini optional boss with 50 million HP. Problem is at best you can only do 9999 damage. So right off the bat at BEST you have to hit him 5000 times. Doesn't sound too bad right? Well you won't be hitting him for that every time. With buffs and debuffs sometimes dead allies and having to focus on recovery, and the fact that this guy has a couple of different phases, it makes for a very hard and long boss fight. If i remember correctly he gets regen at about 5 or 10 million hp left.
Not hard but a real battle of attrition think it took me about 9 hours of play time to take him down. I dont think he gains regen unless you run away and let him cast then he gains something stupid like 300,000 hp per second back. I always got around it by leaving a sacrificial character behind. I actually found Omega weapon harder although Yiazamat is certainly the bigger slogfest.

Honestly though this has come up before and I still say by and large Fighting game bosses are the worst they are almost always cheap, ridiculously powerful and they keep popping up every 10 minutes of so if you play arcade mode I cant remember his name but the one in KOFXIII before the final boss was ridiculous I honestly had no idea what to do it was just full screen instant grabs (which are unblockable) galore and hes not evebn the worst boss in fighter by a large margin from what I have seen.

I do remember some of the post game bosses in Star Ocean 3 being insane but i think that may have been down to me not mastering the invincible frames on the characters specials.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Maximum Bert said:
Saelune said:
Yeah I hate her mainly because of her poor design and annoying as hell moves but overall as a fighting game boss she is one of the easier ones unfortunately.
Maybe compared to old Arcade ones, but DOA4 was a 360 game. And honestly, Id rather fight MK2/3 Shao Kahn than Alpha.

Sable Gear

Mar 26, 2009
I'd have to say...

-The Boost Guardian miniboss from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. It's a frustrating damage-race in which the monster is frequently invulnerable. It hits way too hard, even harder than the area boss, you constantly take damage from the environment, and if you try to skip its in-fight transformation cutscenes, it gets a free hit on you because gameplay resumes a fraction of a second before you have control again. (Legend has it one of the Retro Studios devs could only ever beat it by putting the game into debug mode.)

-The Spider Guardian miniboss from the same game. A difficult puzzle-fight in morph-ball mode with only one opportunity to get a mere pittance of health pickups. (Yeah I know the Spider Guardian isn't all that hard in the Trilogy version on the Wii because of the flick-jump, well guess what? I've only ever played the GC version and it's HARD.)

-Dark Link in Ocarina of Time used to give me a lot of trouble as a young'un. I was so used to every other humanoid monster's pattern of block-coutnerstrike while staying locked on, it never occurred to me to try toggling my targeting. Now its a disappointing beatdown because I always get the Biggoron's Sword as soon as I unfreeze the Zora King.

-There was a horrible centipede monster in a game called Geist for the GameCube that was hard enough to make me quit the game. I sort of figured out (I think?) how to beat it in retrospect, but that was ages ago and I'd probably play the game from the start again if I wanted to actually try and beat it.

-Ornstein and Smough, who still give me trouble to this day, but I actually like throwing down with these two so I don't really count them.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
The Adventurer in Bravely Default. Oh, so you've got a full party of level 99 characters who are all level 14 in their respective jobs? Well, fuck you. You lose anyway. He can wipe out any of your low def characters in one or two attacks and you have to kill both him and his fox sidekick in the same turn to win.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
There was a mid game boss in Persona 4, the one in the pixel game dungeon... I can't remember his name, fisheyes guy. His Shadow takes the form of a giant baby that takes 3 turns of charging up then creates a suit of Megaman type armour around himself, effectively adding another healthbar to take that armour off again. You basically have to break it before those 3 turns are over because he can fuck you up and at the time I was a bit underleveled because I decided that I wasn't going to grind and see just how good the whole S Link anti-grind system works. It took me fuck knows how many tries but I finally goddamn did it.

Also Contrarian King. If you revisit Yukiko's Castle right after you finish it to beat the optional boss, it's literally the game slapping you in the face and going "you have a full party now and the training wheels are OFF" double Rampage, Yukiko cannot heal fast enough, nobody has the damage to hurt this guy, entire party is dead, come back later when you can actually beat this fuck.

Then practically every boss in Bravely Default. That game is good but fuck you need to grind...

I would say good ol' Unlimited Hazama in BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend but you know, after playing a lot of that game i've decided he's not that bad. Punishing certainly but he doesn't do the lazy thing that bad developers do and have his AI look at the buttons you press and instantly counter them. He tends to fire the air grab chain before you jump for example so you can juke his prediction.

Speaking of ArcSys games and good bosses, I hate how they made Shadow Labrys so easy in Persona 4 Arena. Yeah it's to let the scrubs who have never touched a fighting game in their life experience the story but it kind of cheapens how Shadows work. They're supposed to be super difficult, don't let a genre shift take that away. Hell in the sequel, she bodies the main villain no problem.

*sigh* P4A PC port when. I want an excuse to play my Shabrys again...

Skatalite

May 8, 2007
Like a couple of others have said, Ornstein and Smough were really tough, but I had even more trouble with the Orphan of Kos from Bloodborne. I spent hours on that one. :I

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
Elana the Squalid Queen in Dark Souls 2. I usually never got really ragey in the Souls games but this one pushed me to my limit. She teleports, she shoots you, she spawns fireballs on top of you, she summons skeletons, she summons another fucking boss for Christ's sake, one who chases you around wielding a giant hammer. One time I got her down to a sliver of health, just one more hit to kill her and Velstadt (the boss she summons) flattened me from off screen.

Finally I relented and summoned another player to help me. The only time I've needed to do so in the Souls games.

There's also Death from the first Castlevania game. Seriously, fuck that guy.

And of course the final boss of Genocide mode in Undertale. I used cheat engine to skip past that one because I just wasn't enjoying myself.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
The only one that really comes to mind at the moment is the final boss in the Claptastic Voyage DLC for Borderlands the Pre-sequal. Not so much because he's actually hard, but because he is one of the most massive fucking bullet sponges that has ever existed. He takes way too much damage and occasionally heals himself. Add to that the facts that he's way the fuck up in the air, almost constantly summons minions, and several of his attacks require you to take cover if you don't want to get downed every ten seconds makes for a memorable boss fight for all the wrong reasons.

Sep 13, 2009
Not sure if it's the hardest, but anyone here ever play Custom Robo? Remember Rahu III? To give an idea of how hard he is, one of the main mechanics of the game is that when you get hit enough you'll get knocked down for a period. During this period you're unable to move, and people can get some free hits on you for a couple of seconds. It also has the advantage off taking out all of your projectile weapons currently firing, which can be an absolute godsend. After being knocked down, you get a couple seconds of rebirth where you're briefly invulnerable, to avoid getting stunlocked.

Rahu III? He doesn't get knocked down. When you deal enough damage to him to knock him down, he'll go straight into rebirth mode. Add onto this the fact that he has the longest fly time (Making it so he's almost always moving) and a gun that basically fills the screen with projectiles, and you'll be hard pressed to find the time to take a shot at him without having 20 of his coming straight your way.

You get two partners to offset this, but if you're not quick enough they'll both be dead leaving you with his full attention

Sable Gear said:
I'd have to say...

-The Boost Guardian miniboss from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. It's a frustrating damage-race in which the monster is frequently invulnerable. It hits way too hard, even harder than the area boss, you constantly take damage from the environment, and if you try to skip its in-fight transformation cutscenes, it gets a free hit on you because gameplay resumes a fraction of a second before you have control again. (Legend has it one of the Retro Studios devs could only ever beat it by putting the game into debug mode.)
I can see this, despite how many times I've beaten the game this guy still always gives me trouble. Ever try beating him in hard mode? Good lord, it's a nightmare.

-The Spider Guardian miniboss from the same game. A difficult puzzle-fight in morph-ball mode with only one opportunity to get a mere pittance of health pickups. (Yeah I know the Spider Guardian isn't all that hard in the Trilogy version on the Wii because of the flick-jump, well guess what? I've only ever played the GC version and it's HARD.)
Never got this one though. I know that a lot of people hate it, but I like the Spider Guardian. Never found him too hard, though he's definitely not an easy boss.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
There was a mid game boss in Persona 4, the one in the pixel game dungeon... I can't remember his name, fisheyes guy. His Shadow takes the form of a giant baby that takes 3 turns of charging up then creates a suit of Megaman type armour around himself, effectively adding another healthbar to take that armour off again. You basically have to break it before those 3 turns are over because he can fuck you up and at the time I was a bit underleveled because I decided that I wasn't going to grind and see just how good the whole S Link anti-grind system works. It took me fuck knows how many tries but I finally goddamn did it.
That would be Mitsuo Kubo, I believe. I have the Animation on DVD, so I kinda have a fresh memory of all things Persona 4 Golden. ^_^

OT: The only boss I had any real difficulty with was Omega Weapon from Final Fantasy 8. That boss is a real big "fuck you and your party" if you don't have the right set up, the right tactics and a bit of luck on your side. Emerald Weapon from FF7 is much the same way, but I found him (it?) easier to defeat than Omega Weapon from FF8.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Any-given Eidelon fight in Final Fantasy XIII was much more of an ass-hassle than it should have been, especially the one that happens right at the beginning of chapter 11 which...I can't remember which one that was just that it was an ass.

The Wykydtron said:
Then practically every boss in Bravely Default. That game is good but fuck you need to grind...
I'm at the point in that game where I've started doing the time warp and even with just about everything maxed out I'm having a lot of trouble with these bosses. Even before doing the time warp, the fight against vampire-dude whose name I don't remember was really damn tough.

Lufia Erim said:
Oh Yzmat (probably mispelled)...I'm nowhere NEAR that sucker and I've already had to deal with some BS boss fights...and BS random-monster fights...

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Lufia Erim said:
You forgot the best part, where at 50% HP he boosts his defenses, reducing the damage cap against him to 6999.

At low HP, he just fucks with you by casting Reflect on your party - if you've been using 'Renew' to heal, then you're right fucked. Get that Dispelga going or use Curajas, otherwise that's another 50 mil to burn down.

OP: Baiten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean has two of 'em. The fight against Fadroh and the fight(s) against Giacomo, Ayme and Folon.

Fadroh starts off easy enough - he's a big dude, does a pretty nasty combo that you need to block but otherwise isn't too bad. He's got a bit of health, but an 80% weakness to one of the elements so it's not too bad, right? But then the RNG kicks in, and he uses 'Orb of Magical Offense' early in the fight. Suddenly, he's comboing you for 5000 damage (which you don't have at that level), even when you block every attack. He goes from 'fairly straight forward' boss to 'Murderous rampage since you never have enough revives' in a single turn.

The fight is all down to luck. He can never use Orb of Magical Offense... or, rarely, he can use it twice.

The second fight is a triple boss battle, which is fucking difficult. It's basically a mirror match, since in the game you have a party of 3, and you're now going toe-to-toe with these guys. And they work together. Folon buffs his allies attack damage and gives them a free turn (while also doing heavy combos himself), Ayme is FAST and does 9 hit combos to burn up all your defense cards (and also heals her allies for a couple thousand HP), and Giacomo does some brutal combos that are incredibly hard to survive even with blocking. It is, quite simply, the hardest boss fight in the entire game, far outstripping the final boss (who only attacks twice per turn, while these guys get up to 4 per turn). They all also use different elements for their attacks, which makes them that much harder to deal with.

After you beat them though, you get a sweet cutscene about Giacomos backstory... and then he roars with defiance and fights you again. Yep, the hardest boss fight in the entire game and you have to do it twice in a row. All in all it's like a solid two hours of gameplay, since the fights go on for so long and there's cutscenes both before and after it.

On the bright side, it's a fucking intense two hours, and the story revealed during it is really well done. Plus it feels so good when you knock them down for the last time.