Toukiden: Age of Demons Review - Oni PlayStation

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
I think it's safe to say an added appeal for Toukiden lies in two questions:

1. Are you all into japanese mythology and demons and shit?
2. Is this your first 'hunter' game?

IF the answer is yes for both, then I'd wager that much like myself, Toukiden should be checked out. As someone TOTALLY put off by Monster Hunter's creature designs (Oh cool, dinosaurs and dragons and whatnot, yay...) and its lack of newcomer friendly presentation, I found Toukiden pleasantly refreshing.

But I will agree that it doesn't bring anything new to the table. Luckily for me, I haven't touched much in the way of other hunter games so it's a very 'new' experience for me. :D

Lovely review though.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Yeah, can't disagree that Toukiden is just Monster Hunter with the skin of Dynasty Warriors. It's just playing too safe with it's formula.

I DO LOVE using the Gauntlets and mashing Onis like there's no tomorrow. Wished Monster Hunter had Gauntlets like that.

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
I love this game so far. I will agree it barely deviates from the formula, but that really does not bother me. Im very ok with it. I'd like to add im fairly dissapointed with how the reviewer makes boss fights sound like they take a huge amount of time. With a lot of skill, you can mow some of these guys down fairly easily. With all the combos and moves you get with each weapon its VERY fun to experiment! Thats not to say its easy mode of course. It has plenty of difficulty here and there. So i'd say if you like Inuyasha and you like Monster hunter, this is a match made in Heaven. Honestly, I think the reviewer should have given it a 4, or at the very least a 3.5. 3 seems far too harsh on it.

Edit: I'd personally like to ask the reviewer how Ragnarok Odyssey and Soul sacrifice are the superior huntinng games. I've played both and it seems to me they come down to appeal rather than which ones superior.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
I'm curious as to how many reviewers are reading the manual or doing the in-game weapons training because each list a ton of unique weapon mechanics that the game doesn't tell you anywhere else, and it can make the combat far from "hammering attack buttons".

Still, I'm enjoying the game so far, far more than I enjoyed the disappointing filth that was Soul Sacrifice.

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
Dango said:
I'm curious as to how many reviewers are reading the manual or doing the in-game weapons training because each list a ton of unique weapon mechanics that the game doesn't tell you anywhere else, and it can make the combat far from "hammering attack buttons".

Still, I'm enjoying the game so far, far more than I enjoyed the disappointing filth that was Soul Sacrifice.
Thank you!! I was extremely surprised to hear it took jim so long to kill a boss when theres so many freaking combos in the game. Yes there is no tutorial forced down you're throat, i can agree with that entirely. But once you learn, you can become really lethal! As for soul sacrifice, i think it does have its niche. I dont like mages/useing magic at all myself, so it could not keep my attention, but im sure it found appeal.

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
Dango said:

Thank you!! I was extremely surprised to hear it took jim so long to kill a boss when theres so many freaking combos in the game. Yes there is no tutorial forced down you're throat, i can agree with that entirely. But once you learn, you can become really lethal! As for soul sacrifice, i think it does have its niche. I dont like mages/useing magic at all myself, so it could not keep my attention, but im sure it found appeal.

Why did it double post me when I entered the wrong captcha? o_O

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
I tried the demo and really liked it. (Spears ftw!) Can't say the same about Monster Hunter though, I can't get into them at all.
I agreed it was a pain aiming at the certain body parts of the boss just to get the right materials and all.

Put enough hours into Soul sacrifice and I'm in need of some melee hunting games, so why not Toukiden?

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
As far as Monster Hunter clones go I'm still holding out hope (perhaps in vain) that God(s) Eater 2 will be released in English.