Toy Soldiering

Nick Halme

Feb 27, 2009
Toy Soldiering

What's true for children is still true for adults: Playing soldier is fun.

Read Full Article

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I think one part of soldiers glorifying their exciting days is just suppressing the negative memories. Yeah, basic training doesn't seem so bad now that it's a distant memory but back when it was the present I suffered a psychological breakdown from it.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Let's see what war ostensibly offers the young male:

- Camraderie with other like-minded young men
- Clear goals and a sense that what they do has an effect on the world
- A clear sense of "us" versus "them"
- The ability to dominate others in the most blantant and visible way (by killing them)
- The chance to show off and advance (via promotions through the ranks) through physical and mental exertion

Honestly, is it any surprise that the whole thing appeals to young men? It's like we're mentally built for fighting.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
Rogue Wolf: Excellent points, all of them. Human nature centers largely around social standing and appropriating power, of which war is the primary instrument. It could easily be argued that these are the only reasons war exists.

If we assume that these desires are an inherent part of us, then we should be applauded for finding a harmless medium like a videogame to live out these experiences, rather than taking actual human lives.

TornadoADV

Cobra King
Apr 10, 2009
Being military myself, (Mustering out in August) I can understand the writer at what he's getting at. But I joined out of a sense of honor and duty to my country. But yeah, BMTS sucked.

HeartAttackBob

Sep 11, 2008
WanderFreak said:
Humans like war.
Hell yes we do.

Even before humans were sophisticated enough for wars, there was still plenty of man-on-man killing going on. Some of the earliest humans skeletons show evidence that they were <a href='http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/10/1030_031030_icemandeath.html' target=self> murdered by other humans. I have read least one <a href='http://www.amazon.com/Murderer-Next-Door-Mind-Designed/dp/1594200432' target=self>book that describes the different evolutionary adaptations humans have for killing each other, and by extension, going to war.

The Rogue Wolf said:
Honestly, is it any surprise that the whole thing appeals to young men? It's like we're mentally built for fighting.
This aspect of human nature is nearly always ignored or unknown to proponents of "video games cause violence" theories. Humans were murdering, raping, and beating the tar out of each other long before anyone invented Chess, much less video games.

Now that I think about it, Chess is really just an abstract war game. <a href='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaS2bRGS86c' target=self>We like war!

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Good little piece. Well made shooters can be brilliant games, excitement, camaraderie in team matches, and if you win victory and acclaim amongst friends. Some of my most exciting moments have been in shooters, that and martial arts. I find, once you really get into a shooter, reactions of course go up, but you can find yourself trying almost anything to get the edge. Apparent suicide? Don't worry, I have a plan.

Any shooter with traps also adds to the fun. Judging from his shots outside, is he in this room or is there a bomb behind the door? Is it both? Proceed with caution young make-believe soldier.