Toys - A Fairy Tale about Drones, Surveillance, and Escapism

m00se

Sep 26, 2014

Whether you consider it a train-wreck, or a masterpiece, Toys predicted modern drone warfare and other aspects of modern life with eerie accuracy.

Read Full Article

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I've always thought that movie was way ahead of its time, if a little fumbled in execution, still had a hell of a message underlying the acid trip of presentation. There's even that bit that was a hit on how pop culture can distract even the most vigilant (the scene where they transform the security cam feed to a music video to distract guards), showing how media can be used to create a major distraction.
Creepy how seemingly prophetic the themes are when applied to modern analogs.

conanthegamer

Sep 19, 2008
m00se said:

Whether you consider it a train-wreck, or a masterpiece, Toys predicted modern drone warfare and other aspects of modern life with eerie accuracy.

Read Full Article
I've always had a love for those oddball type movies and TV shows. I call them Harold and Maude shows/movies. This movie definitely fits into that group. Coming from a military family, I loved LL Cool J's soldier with a heart character. Robin Williams character was a perpetual dreamer who after his dad died had to face reality but never lost his imagination. *Spoiler Alert* Joan Cusack stole the show as Robin's naive robot sister. The movie never had a main stream feel to it but it had more heart in it than any movie made today. I don't admit it to most people IRL but I loved the movie. Sure it had its problems. The pace was very hurry up and wait. There were plot holes but it was made with love and it shows.

m00se

Sep 26, 2014
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
I've always thought that movie was way ahead of its time, if a little fumbled in execution, still had a hell of a message underlying the acid trip of presentation. There's even that bit that was a hit on how pop culture can distract even the most vigilant (the scene where they transform the security cam feed to a music video to distract guards), showing how media can be used to create a major distraction.
I forgot about that scene! Good point.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
It's strange how on the ball some things in the past are, isn't it?

While we might have a bias because humans like to make connections where none exist, it's still kinda neat to look at stuff like this and see how much it lines up with reality.
Like those old 50's sci-fi books with stories about people playing chess over oceans.
Great read BTW, hope you make some more articles :)

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Wait so... Sorry to be off-topic but we're actually starting to have staff again?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
m00se said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
I forgot about that scene! Good point.
No problem. Its still fresh in my mind since I watch it on a regular, yearly basis.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Diablo1099 said:

While we might have a bias because humans like to make connections where none exist, it's still kinda neat to look at stuff like this and see how much it lines up with reality.
Like those old 50's sci-fi books with stories about people playing chess over oceans.
I like to call it the Demolition Man Effect.

mgs16925

Mar 28, 2008
"When Leslie finally decides to do something about it, he sneaks into the cordoned off area and finds dozens of school kids playing what appear to be advanced videogames. These kids are piloting the drone fleet built by the general. They are blowing up cars and houses, racking up points for killing people, and having a great time doing it, because they think they're playing games. The question of who they could be bombing during peace time under the command of a retired military general is never addressed."

It's not addressed because they really are just videogames. Patrick even spells it out later, they're just meant to get future pilots used to the control scheme. The military never bought any of it because Leland was too unstable to do business with (although they liked the idea), and the stuff he actually does get built is semi-autonomous with more of an RTS control system.

m00se

Sep 26, 2014
mgs16925 said:
"When Leslie finally decides to do something about it, he sneaks into the cordoned off area and finds dozens of school kids playing what appear to be advanced videogames. These kids are piloting the drone fleet built by the general. They are blowing up cars and houses, racking up points for killing people, and having a great time doing it, because they think they're playing games. The question of who they could be bombing during peace time under the command of a retired military general is never addressed."

It's not addressed because they really are just videogames. Patrick even spells it out later, they're just meant to get future pilots used to the control scheme. The military never bought any of it because Leland was too unstable to do business with (although they liked the idea), and the stuff he actually does get built is semi-autonomous with more of an RTS control system.
Oh, damn! Great catch. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

m00se

Sep 26, 2014
Diablo1099 said:

Thanks for the feedback. :) I know confirmation bias can be very strong, but I've always had fun looking for patterns in things like this. I think this is my last escapist article, sadly, but feel free to explore the back catalogue if you want. I also write books about zombies and drugs and the Illuminati among other things.