Toys 'R Us Pulling Breaking Bad Action Figures After Mom's Petition

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I see both sides of the argument here. However, given that Toys R Us isn't the only store out there that sells toys (hell, growing up, the nearest Toys R Us was MILES away, so all the toys I got came from the local mall), I'm okay with the Breaking Bad figures being pulled. Hot Topic and Spencer's will make a killing off of this decision, I'm sure.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
The lady has every right to petition the retailer to remove the toys from the store. Toys-R-Us had every right to comply with or ignore the complaint. Personally I agree with her actions.

Also anyone saying she has too much time on her hands better not take part in any form of activism or else they are a hypocrit.

Svarr

Nov 2, 2011
I can agree with these being removed, why were they there in the first place? o_O

Next up, sex toys at Toys R Us! I'm calling it now, just watch it'll get worse. :D

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Typical mainstream media washed mother here;

Death, gore, fear and violence = acceptable

Drugs = oh lordy no! The destruction of society!!!

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
Toys 'R' Us is still in the 50's? Who cares about a bunch of 'concerned moms' these days?

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
I'd have petitioned against them just based on the price.
$20.99!? I'm sure if you shop around you can buy some actual meth for that price! Atleast for the first hit...

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Action figures of R-rated and M-rated movies have been a thing for a very long time... I fail to see how this one is somehow special. I have yet to see a study of how a terminator action figure turned a kid into a bad person.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
I think that this is a little silly. I honestly don't care what Toys'R'us sells. If my kids ask for a toy I don't think is appropriate I tell them they can't have until they reach the proper age.

It seems to me that people want stores to do their parenting for them by not having toys or other things they don't agree with around. These people are probably frighten to death of telling their kids no.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
Typical mainstream media washed mother here;

Death, gore, fear and violence = acceptable

Drugs = oh lordy no! The destruction of society!!!
Death, gore, fear, violence, swords, robots, guns, horrifying-looking monsters = concepts a child can understand and is familiar with. Hence why toys about Game of Thrones, Aliens, Robocop, zombie movies etc. in a toy store aimed first and foremost at children are okay.

Drug trade and dealers = not so much.

I'm all for this. Those toys had no place being in Toys'r'us in the first place. This is not censorship, this is a company making a conscious, unforced decision to remove products from shelves as a result of consumer feedback.

AndreiCC

Jun 1, 2014
Oh man this really will put a damper on their next line of Breaking Bad figures including the Walter White with Meth-Mixing action(TM) and the Little Chemist's First Meth Lab Kit.
Seriosuly this is just a company realising the product was stupid ideea and taking it off the shelves.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
To be fair, the Breaking Bad series was certainly one that dealt with a lot of subjects that are better suited for mature audiences. I'm not one for censorship as a rule of thumb, but making sure there's an effective safety valve on such content isn't a bad idea. That said, yanking the figures from the shelves entirely is probably overkill, especially if the more adult-oriented merchendise is separated from those designed for younger customers like I've heard they are in Toys R Us these days (I wouldn't know personally; haven't been in one of their stores in years.)

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
DANGER- MUST SILENCE said:
inu-kun said:
I'm sick of douchbags who yell CENSORSHIP at any legitimate worry, there's plenty of venues to buy the damn toys rather than children oriented ones.
Classic rookie mistake. Here, let me help you out with this one. See, you're trying to understand this situation using your mind to understand words by what they mean. That's never going to get you anywhere. If this brave post-GamerGate world has taught us anything, it's that the proper way to make an argument is to understand a word based on how it feels. 'Censorship' feels bad. Not getting our every whim catered to us by every company on the planet feels bad. Therefore by the transitive property of feeling bad, 'Censorship' = "Not getting our every whim catered to us by every company on the planet."
I hear that. It's a popular extreme these days that anytime someone suggests showing a bit of restraint, self control, dignity, consideratoin for others wen it comes to what is publicly displayed, others will immediately play the censorship card. Some will go into a calm but oppressively long-winded speech about it, others will just yell and flip their shit, but at the core that's what happens.

Person 1: "This sort of thing looks rather adult-oriented to be shown publicly with no filter or warnings..."

Person 2: "OOOHHHH GREAAAAAAAAT, MISTER CENSOR'S HERE TO TAKE AWAY OUR RIGHTS! WEE-OOO-WEE-OOO HERE COMES THE THOUGHT POLICE! WHY DONCHA GO BACK TO MAKING OUT WITH YOUR RONALD REGAN POSTER YOU FREAKING RIGHT WING FACIST!"

Person 3: "Clearly you're thinking about this from antiquated ideas of normalcy and not considering that children must be exposed to mature subjects to mature themselves and grow. Allow me to bang this drum for about 30 straight, uninterrupted minutes in a conversation/3 typewritten pages in an internet forum. Ahem, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah..."