Toys To Life: Who Still Cares?

Irwin126

Dec 29, 2016
I never got the magic that skylanders brought with its's ttl system, if anything I noticed that it would cost much MUCH more than just getting the game full.

So I'll ask this question, Who cares about the ttl system. Other than young kids of course.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
I actually think the idea is still pretty brilliant despite being expensive. If I were younger I'd be all over this kind of stuff. I mean who wouldn't want their action figure turn into a video game character they can interact with?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I love the idea, but not a fan of the main series that seems to be so popular.

I WISH Disney had stuck with it.

I WISH Nintendo would do some kind of open world/whatever game with theirs.

I don't give a fuck about Spyro or LEGO.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I miss Monster Rancher. It was doing something similar way before, and didnt expect you to pay out the nose, since you just used any CDs you already had. A friend of mine and I spent a day going through CDs and DVDs we both had just unsealing Monsters.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
i don't collect all of them but i still buy Amiibo figurines of characters i love. for example i'm extremely hyped for that Pikmin Amiibo that's releasing alongside Hey Pikmin! on 3DS in july.

i just collect amiibo figurines of the characters i really like but i don't really care about collecting the whole set of say Mario Party Amiibo figurines for example.

aside from using them as a an easy way to get more food in Zelda for myself, i don't really even use the functions of the Amiibos i have. there's just something nice about decorating my shelves with all the figures. meanwhile large size high quality figurines of characters usually cost $100+ so amiibo's are a nice cheap alternativee to buying really expensive high quality figures.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I've never been interested, but perhaps that's because of my age. Maybe if I were still a kid I would be wowed by the seemingly magical "toys come to life" aspect, but as an adult who knows how the process actually works it comes across as a transparent marketing gimmick.

I can't help but view it as physical microtransactions that serve more or less the same purpose as digital ones; purposely holding game features hostage in order to fleece consumers of every last dime they own. The whole "collectible/display" aspect never really appealed to me either, as I have enough clutter in my apartment as is.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I was totally uninterested until i saw the new Celica figure for Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. That girl is getting pride of place on a shelf.

Wether or not i'll actually buy the game or not is another matter

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Neverhoodian said:
I've never been interested, but perhaps that's because of my age. Maybe if I were still a kid I would be wowed by the seemingly magical "toys come to life" aspect, but as an adult who knows how the process actually works it comes across as a transparent marketing gimmick.

I can't help but view it as physical microtransactions that serve more or less the same purpose as digital ones; purposely holding game features hostage in order to fleece consumers of every last dime they own. The whole "collectible/display" aspect never really appealed to me either, as I have enough clutter in my apartment as is.
how are they physical microtransactions when further functionality can get added to them in the future?

when you bought that marth amiibo way back in 2014 to go with your super smash bros game, you had no idea that 1 year later you would also be able to use that same Marth figure you bought to unlock Marth as a fully Playable character in Codename STEAM as well as use it for stuff like unlocking a marth themed costume for Yoshi in Yoshi's Woolly World.

if all the amiibo did was unlock one thing in one game then you would have a point but they don't so you don't have a point. hell even my Super Smash Bros Zelda figures are still letting me unlock new stuff in BOTW which came out 3 years later.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Tanis said:
I love the idea, but not a fan of the main series that seems to be so popular.

I WISH Disney had stuck with it.

I don't give a fuck about Spyro or LEGO.
I loved Skylanders but lost interest after Trap Team. I hated having to buy a new portal each time. It felt foolish and forced.

Disney made one critical mistake regarding the games: the lack of allowing characters from one franchise to play in another. Skylanders worked because you could use any character through the games. Infinity allowed it for a couple of random situation where you had to collect tokens to do it.

I would have loved to use Tonto and Jack Sparrow in the same story mode. But alas, I wasn't allowed to.

And Amiibos just don't do anything... really. They just give small bonuses.

As a LEGO fan, I love Dimensions and have most of it. They did it right. The base game hasn't changed in two years, just keep getting add-ons.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Yoshi178 said:
Neverhoodian said:

how are they physical microtransactions when further functionality can get added to them in the future?

when you bought that marth amiibo way back in 2014 to go with your super smash bros game, you had no idea that 1 year later you would also be able to use that same Marth figure you bought to unlock Marth as a fully Playable character in Codename STEAM as well as use it for stuff like unlocking a marth themed costume for Yoshi in Yoshi's Woolly World.
Are those things accessible to people who haven't bought the $15 physical season pass? No? Well there you go, physical manifestation of DLC Season Passes, they just span multiple games rather than only apply to one.

As for the topic at hand; it's for kids and gullible adults who like to look at plastic figurines, if you don't fall in either of those categories then this isn't for you and you should move on. Not everything in the realm of entertainment should cater to you, there just are some things that are not made for your tastes.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Tanis said:

I love Spyro and LEGO.
Oh wow, imagine if Nintendo did do an open world game with all of their figures to the theme of Disney Infinity's ideas. The creation has the potential to be as popular as Smash is with throwing all those characters together.

Honestly I hate the TTL concept - having 5 kids, daughters at that, they all want to play a particular character. Combine that with the game being limited to 2 players at a time and the younger kids taking the figures to use as toys (and breaking them) and it's something I've vowed not to do again.

FoolKiller said:
As a LEGO fan, I love Dimensions and have most of it. They did it right. The base game hasn't changed in two years, just keep getting add-ons.
I was tempted to pick that up but I didn't want a repeat of the Disney Infinity situation. Instead I picked up Lego Worlds on sale, and I think they're having more fun with that than they had with Disney Infinity. Mind you, we only had the 1.0 version of that and I heard with the marvel characters and such the gameplay was better - but Lego Worlds has so much more to do.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
bluegate said:
Are those things accessible to people who haven't bought the $15 physical season pass? No? Well there you go, physical manifestation of DLC Season Passes, they just span multiple games rather than only apply to one.
if you don't buy actual season passes, you miss out on things like new multiplayer maps & characters, extra story content etc.

if you don't buy Amiibos for the most part the stuff you miss out in is.....a costume and/or a mii hat for your character or mii? comparing Amiibos to season passes is just ridiculous

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
bluegate said:
if you don't buy actual season passes, you miss out on things like new multiplayer maps & characters, extra story content etc.

if you don't buy Amiibos for the most part the stuff you miss out in is.....a costume and/or a mii hat for your character or mii? comparing Amiibos to season passes is just ridiculous
Twilight Princess HD has a whole new dungeon hidden behind an Amiibo.
http://zelda.gamepedia.com/Cave_of_Shadows

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Here Comes Tomorrow said:
Yoshi178 said:
bluegate said:

Way to cherrypick ONE exception and even then, all you do in that dubgeon is fight waves of enemies and it has no impact on the story at all.

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
Here Comes Tomorrow said:
Yoshi178 said:
Oh you mean that clone of the trials dungeon in the main game?

This is kind of the problem many people hate with toys to life, the range of what people want varies so widely.

If significant content is locked behind a toy it's considered "glorified DLC"

If minor stuff is locked behind a toy people complain that the toy is an afterthought that has no real purpose.

Different people will place themselves on different ends of this scale and often you're left with just a load of bitching online. Though I would love to see the van diagram for those people who hate TtL and those who are fine with the loot systems in games like overwatch and Payday 2.

Personally I've enjoyed collecting these things, though I can understand the annoyance when one is made limited or when a person who does not like the toys feels they are locked out of content (see the scale I mentioned earlier).

That said, LEGO is the worst in terms of pricing, as we know how much a minifigure can be sold at to turn a profit. But then that's the damage you see when they're working with like 30 other licenses.

Ender910_v1legacy

Oct 22, 2009
In a way the concept suffers from the same problem that joysticks had after a while. Needing to use up extra space and extra money for something you'll likely only use in a small fraction of games. PC's were able to keep the joystick relevant for a surprisingly long time, but eventually fewer and fewer types of games really meshed well with a joystick-styled control scheme.

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
Ender910 said:
In a way the concept suffers from the same problem that joysticks had after a while. Needing to use up extra space and extra money for something you'll likely only use in a small fraction of games. PC's were able to keep the joystick relevant for a surprisingly long time, but eventually fewer and fewer types of games really meshed well with a joystick-styled control scheme.
That is certainly a problem, especially when you need to dig out an amiibo you have from 2 years ago.