Trademarks Link Bungie to Potential MMO "Destiny"

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Trademarks Link Bungie to Potential MMO "Destiny"

Altogether, the logo, trademarks, and dummy corporation begin to piece together a puzzle that could display the picture of a new, space angel-related MMO in development over at Bungie called Destiny. Either that, or Barnes was wearing an old T-shirt. Whatever Bungie has under wraps, we sadly won't see it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109879-Bungie-Wont-Be-at-E3-This-Year] at E3 2011, because Bungie is taking a pass this year.

Sources: GameSpot [http://halo.bungie.org/news.html?item=33340]

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Would it a Halo MMO or something new? More importantly, what are they doing to prevent it from becoming another Wow clone and all the quests involving kill X amount of creatures. These are the important questions.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
bleachigo10 said:
Would it a Halo MMO or something new? More importantly, what are they doing to prevent it from becoming another Wow clone and all the quests involving kill X amount of creatures. These are the important questions.
A better question; Didn't they say a couple of months ago that they aren't, weren't and never were planning on producing an MMO after that whole thing where some magazine claimed someone had said something? When exactly were they lieing in all the situations they were contradicting themselves?

Betting on it sucking ass if it does exist.

EDIT: It also looks like the New England Patriots logo.

LostNumber

Jul 17, 2009
It's starting to look more likely that Blizzard's "Titan" and Bungie's MMO may be the same project. I've herd rumors that Titan is a sci-fi FPSMMO so it seems like Blizzard adding the MMO half and Bungie adding the FPS part would be a match made in heaven.

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
If Bungie put an MMO on a console (a decent one, I'm looking at you, DCU online), they will rake in profits like there is no tomorrow.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
HankMan said:
Bungie is going to stretch these rumors out for as long as it can.
Your puns are usually awesome, but this time I think you're really reaching.

Ba dum tsh.

Podophobia is the fear of feet, as weird as that is. We all know how much Bungie loves making bizarre connections in everything it does....

ratman995

Nov 30, 2009
"would be "World of Warcraft in space" doesn't that already exist with eve online? I probably would only play an space MMO if it was A. Free and B. Had a player based trading system with a large playing field (not like black prophecy)

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Due to EVE's monopoly on the Space setting, I can see this having a difficult time when it gets released, there have been a flurry of MMOs(*cough* RF Online, Jumpgate, Tabula Rasa *cough*) trying to break into the setting but they just haven't been able to compare to EVE when it comes to feeling big, and that's what Space is all about, a setting where immersion is proportional to size.

I also don't consider TOR to be in this category, because that MMO isn't so much about space as about Star Wars. It falls into the franchises-trying-out-MMOs category such as WoW and DC Universe.

Apr 28, 2008
bleachigo10 said:
There was already a Halo MMO in development by Ensemble studio's. After they folded, the MMO went with them. So I doubt Bungie's making one. Especially since they said they're done with Halo for now and signed a 10-year publishing deal with Activision.

OT: Sounds interesting. Wouldn't be surprised if they are working on an MMO. Since after Halo 2 they said they weren't working on Halo 3, and then they revealed that they were working on Halo 3.

Tucker154

Jul 20, 2009
bleachigo10 said:
If it is an MMO,which I hope it is, it wouldn't be a Halo MMO. Bungie already said that they are done with Halo for the foreseen future, and that that might go back to it sooner or later, but what they are currently working on is a new IP that has nothing to do with Halo.

OT: Serously, cant Bungie just through us a bone. I understand why its staying under wraps, but im dyeing to know what this game will be :(

fgdfgdgd

May 9, 2009
Irridium said:
There was already a Halo MMO in development by Ensemble studio's. After they folded, the MMO went with them. So I doubt Bungie's making one. Especially since they said they're done with Halo for now and signed a 10-year publishing deal with Activision.

OT: Sounds interesting. Wouldn't be surprised if they are working on an MMO. Since after Halo 2 they said they weren't working on Halo 3, and then they revealed that they were working on Halo 3.
It burns all the more that Ensemble Studios and any hope of another AOE game (That isn't some browser game) went down the drain trying to make some stupid 'franchise turned MMO'

OT: Eh, if it is it'll probably offer some reduced price for people that have a WoW subscription to get a few thousand people hooked early.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
manythings said:
bleachigo10 said:
A better question; Didn't they say a couple of months ago that they aren't, weren't and never were planning on producing an MMO after that whole thing where some magazine claimed someone had said something? When exactly were they lieing in all the situations they were contradicting themselves?

Betting on it sucking ass if it does exist.

EDIT: It also looks like the New England Patriots logo.
And the logo of the Philadelphia Flyers. And that of the Detroit Redwings when viewed in a mirror.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
So apparently the rumour stands strong because someone in Bungie decided to wear (what I assume is) an early tie-in product prototype to work?

Can't really blame him, although I prefer to wear my early tie-in product prototypes as pajamas, but it sounds more like an ARG.

Tom Goldman said:
The MMO rumor began as a completely unsubstantiated report from an unknown source claiming to be an ex-Bungie employee that called Bungie's project Destiny and said it would be "World of Warcraft [http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Battle-Chest-Mac/dp/B000H96C9M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1305997697&sr=8-3] in space."
I thought EVE online already existed.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Why doesn't the Escapist ever do this sort of investigative reporting and break news of its own? Rather than merely scouring other news sites and lifting news that others have already reported (which tends to diminish the "new" in "news")? It couldn't have been too hard to dig around in the Patent and Trademark Office filings and the Secretary of State filings. Those databases are public information freely available via the internet and are easily searched. There's also PACER (the federal court database of all lawsuits filed in all federal courts) which is available via the internet for a relatively low subscription fee and is a searchable means of determining if a gaming-related lawsuit has been filed, the current status of that lawsuit, and of downloading the filings of the parties to a lawsuit. A daily search of PACER would obviate the need for anyone to wait until some other news site has reported the facts of a lawsuit.

Besides, having to link to the source news site drives traffic away from this site and to those other sites. If the status quo was reversed and other news sites were obligated to link to this site, that would have the -- I imagine -- desirable effect of driving traffic towards this site.