Trailer: Sega Teases Modern Compilation of Sonic's History

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Trailer: Sega Teases Modern Compilation of Sonic's History

A new teaser gives credence to rumors that Sega is remaking retro Sonic the Hedgehog levels on current-gen platforms.

Sega has released a teaser trailer for a mysterious new Sonic the Hedgehog [http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Classic-Collection-Nintendo-DS/dp/B002WDL53O/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1302188573&sr=1-3] game that will celebrate the 20th anniversary of its most recognizable character. As things tend to go with teasers, it's light on details, but using a little detective work we can easily figure out what it's telling us.

The trailer starts with the bright-eyed Sonic we know today from titles like Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 [http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Hedgehog-Episode-Online-Game/dp/B00472NYJQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302187968&sr=8-1] tearing through a familiar environment in 3D. He hops off a ledge, and in the air is joined by a second Sonic.

Is it Sonic's evil twin? A clone? An alien from Dimension X? Nope. Judging by his totally black eyes, the second Sonic is the Sega mascot as he was first seen in the Genesis days. The pair race off, and the teaser ends by saying that whatever game it's teasing is coming in 2011 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, with possible online play.

Looking back, in October 2010 a Sega employee was supererogatory [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104224-Rumor-Segas-Sonic-Anniversary-Remaking-Retro-Levels]), perhaps changing that rumored title's name.

This information combined with the new trailer nearly makes it a sure thing that Sega is going to release something that will mix retro Sonic with current-day Sonic in some way. Sonic's anniversary is coming up on June 23, 2011, exactly 20 years after Sonic the Hedgehog was released on the Genesis, so expect the new game by that date. More details are likely coming soon.

Source: Facebook [http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150143624090667]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'd play it.

I'd love to see a modern Oil Ocean.

Wow...Sonic is already 20...

Crap. FF7 is going to be 20 in a few years, too.

I FEEL OLD! AND NO RIGHT TO FEEL OLD!

Woem

May 28, 2009
Who is that second hedgehog? Is that Sonic from 20 years ago or is it a sidekick?

delanofilms

Apr 25, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'd play it.

I'd love to see a modern Oil Ocean.
^ win.
OT: The thought comes to mind about James Portnau's idea for bringing back Sonic - I.E. give us some damned time away from him such that we can actually start to miss him. So much for that. All we got is apparently another promise of Sonic going back to his roots, 'cause God knows we haven't seen that one before.

P.S. Am I the only one who wants a return to the gameplay of Sonic Adventures? The ones that were remade for the Gamecube?

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Woem said:
Who is that second hedgehog? Is that Sonic from 20 years ago or is it a sidekick?

But Sonic 4 seems to have avoided that cycle. Specially the "slammed in reviews" and "pics of friends" parts.

So, SEGA must be doing...SOMETHING...right.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Woem said:
It's old-school Sonic, from the glory days of the franchise:

He was a bit tubbier back in the day, but he's still infinitely cooler than that modern day poser.

If by the "best levels" they mean "the best levels from the Genesis era," then it could indeed be promising. Just keep companions limited to Tails and Knuckles, and for God's sake don't let anybody talk.

Dec 14, 2009
Sonic is dead I'm afraid.

He died in a tragic car accident just after the release of Sonic and Knuckles.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:

Now...be honest here.

Did you play any of the post-S&K "Sonic Advance" games? Or the first Sonic Rush? Or Sonic Colors DS?

Dec 14, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Now...be honest here.

Did you play any of the post-S&K "Sonic Advance" games? Or the first Sonic Rush? Or Sonic Colors DS?
Yes.

Yes I did.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
*nerdgasm*

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack xD

this looks to be awesome...hopefully...

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
All the white made me think of a Sonic version of Mirrors edge, and for some reason that sounds like a good idea to me.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Now...be honest here.

Yes.

Yes I did.
Then I disagree with your opinion, but still respect it. They are missing...something...that the originals had. Can't finger it, though.

Dec 14, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Now...be honest here.

Yes.

Yes I did.
Then I disagree with your opinion, but still respect it. They are missing...something...that the originals had. Can't finger it, though.
The handheld games weren't bad by any stretch of the imagination. Like you said, they were just missing... something.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Now...be honest here.

Yes.

Yes I did.
The handheld games weren't bad by any stretch of the imagination. Like you said, they were just missing... something.
Also, Sonic Advance 2 was responsible for THIS.

GaryH

Sep 3, 2008
Honestly, I fear that nostalgia blinds people who think that sonic's character design hasn't improved over time (this also applies to the "There are ONLY 151 pokemon" crowd). The original character design shown above is the -SAME- character as the one that we have now. He's just rendered much more simplistically. In fact, Sonics design was already becoming slimmer and edgier by his second and third games; he certainly lost a lot of weight if you compare the box art!

What I'm trying to get at here is that there are FAR more issues with modern Sonic games without picking at the colour of his damn eyes or that fact that he's been made to look more aerodynamic over the years. While the games fail at almost every hurdle, it is certainly not the character designs that are to blame. If anything, they're one of the few improvements.

That said, the appearance of "classic sonic" in this trailer actually shows that SEGA seems to be listening to it's fans. I can't say that didn't get a nice warm, fuzzy nostalgia high from this trailer. Consider it on my radar.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Now...be honest here.

Yes.

Yes I did.
Also, Sonic Advance 2 was responsible for THIS.

Do not remind me...
As long as it keeps with Sonic 4, I shall be happy..

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
GHudston said:
Honestly, I fear that nostalgia blinds people who think that sonic's character design hasn't improved over time (this also applies to the "There are ONLY 151 pokemon" crowd). The original character design shown above is the -SAME- character as the one that we have now. He's just rendered much more simplistically. In fact, Sonics design was already becoming slimmer and edgier by his second and third games; he certainly lost a lot of weight if you compare the box art!

What I'm trying to get at here is that there are FAR more issues with modern Sonic games without picking at the colour of his damn eyes or that fact that he's been made to look more aerodynamic over the years. While the games fail at almost every hurdle, it is certainly not the character designs that are to blame. If anything, they're one of the few improvements.

That said, the appearance of "classic sonic" in this trailer actually shows that SEGA seems to be listening to it's fans. I can't say that didn't get a nice warm, fuzzy nostalgia high from this trailer. Consider it on my radar.
My I add to your point that Sonic did in fact have green eyes in Sonic 3:-