Trailer: The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Trailer: The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies

It's the beginning of the end for the Middle Earth prequel

Critical and audience reactions to Peter Jackson's second Tolkien trilogy have been more mixed than expected, but The Hobbit gets one more chance to end things on a high note in December with The Battle of Five Armies.

Though the previous film ended on the cliffhanger of Smaug (Benedict Cumberbatch) bearing down on Laketown, this first teaser is mainly concerned with the subsequent events of its subtitle; as arguments over how to manage the spoils of war spill over into an outright battle between former uneasy alliances. As with the previous films, it's clear that Gandalf's investigation into the return of Sauron (a vague subplot in the book) will have a much more immediate presence as well.

Of note: The trailer is scored chiefly to Pippin's song from Return of The King, suggesting that there may be a more explicit connection made here between the events of this story and Lord of The Rings than in previous installments.

Source: Warner Bros [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSzeFFsKEt4]

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
You betrayed the law!

WAAAAAAR!!!

Whoops, wrong film...

Anyways I really like the Hobbit films, looking forward to it.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
Urgh... Once again, about as much screen-time for Legolas as all the dwarfs combined. Then again, considering there were elves stunt-jumping on dwarven heads in the place of a tense escape-scene in the last one, I expected little else from Jackson.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Talk about pulling out all the stops to make The Hobbit seem as epic as Lord of the Rings. I'm unfamiliar with Tolkien's collection of Middle-Earth mythology, the Silmarillion, but I did read the Hobbit and so far the only new edition the films have made that really bothers me is all the Legolas fan service. I understand he's a very popular character, but for people like me, people are vaguely neutral, it induced a lot of eye-rolling whilst I watched him defy the laws of physics more than any Jedi ever has. Seems like I can look forward to more of that.

Still, from my perspective at least, I don't think the films have really done anything to violate the spirit of the story, so I'll still totally go and see this.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Trailer did nothing for me, and the last movie was not all that great, but you can bet your ass that I'll be there in the theater the entire day prior watching all 3 in a row in HFR Imax.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
While I like Legolas, and I do think it make's sense to include him, I could have done with less of him in the last one. It would have left room for showing exactly how Gandalf came to meet Thorin's father and how he got the map and key. Considering it is implyed in the books that the reason both he and thorin's grandfather went mad was because of a Dwarven ring of power it would have tied it to TLotR a bit more which is what Jackson has wanted to do from the start.

I would also have liked to see the war of the Dwarves and Orcs but that is more to do with me wanting to see a whole army of Dwarves, plus the changes that Jackson made to it for the movie makes seeing more impossable anyway.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Dear Peter Jackson,

Overlaying the trailer with Pippen's song from Return of the King does not mean Hobbit 3 will be of equal or greater quality to that film, you crafty bastard you.

Joking aside, The Hobbit trilogy was destined from the start to not even come close to how great the first trilogy was.

But that doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed them thus far. I'm definitely going to see this. I just how its not three hours of battles. I also might actually lose my mind in the theater if the ending drags on as long (or longer) as the ending to King did.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
PunkRex said:
You betrayed the law!

WAAAAAAR!!!

Whoops, wrong film...

Anyways I really like the Hobbit films, looking forward to it.
no its pronounced WAAAARGH!!
OT: I really liked Desolation of Smaugh and I don't know about any mixed reaction about that one. The first was meh but that one is very very good!

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
The first one was rubbish (except for parts of dinner scene and riddle scene), the second one was alightly better, but still a bit rubbish just not as bad as the first one (Had a lot more memorable scenes qnd the action wasnt as awful). This might mean that the third one could be decent, it doesn't look too promising but i really hope that just one of these movies could manage to be atleast mildly entertaining. But defineately waiting for the dvd, i'll probablt watch Exodus or something instead.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
MrBaskerville said:
The first one was rubbish (except for parts of dinner scene and riddle scene), the second one was alightly better, but still a bit rubbish just not as bad as the first one (Had a lot more memorable scenes qnd the action wasnt as awful). This might mean that the third one could be decent, it doesn't look too promising but i really hope that just one of these movies could manage to be atleast mildly entertaining. But defineately waiting for the dvd, i'll probablt watch Exodus or something instead.
What was wrong with the first one? It was almost an exact adaptation of the book, bar a few /minor/ changes or scenes added that did happen, they just wernt in the the book The Hobbit. The second one went so far of the rails it fell into the water and landed on the bottom of the sea.

OT: Frankly I'm surprised the trailer didn't have Legolas fighting Sauron riding a mecha shark, while he space walks over the heads of Oliphants, tweaks the noses of a few dwarves, then kills Smaug with the black arrow. He did however have as almost as much screen time in that trailer as the dwarves. For fuck sake Jackson, yes I know you like Legolas, but you had your fun with him in LoTR, but at this point he's so far removed from Legolas the character, he's basically a mary sue.

Also, Pippins song? That's cheating! I'm not even sure Pippin has been born yet, have some...oh I don't know, /dwarven/ songs for the trailer, perhaps the middle verses of Over the Misty Mountains directly relating to the death of Smaug? Or a song from Bilbo?

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
elvor0 said:
MrBaskerville said:
What was wrong with the first one? It was almost an exact adaptation of the book, bar a few /minor/ changes or scenes added that did happen, they just wernt in the the book The Hobbit. The second one went so far of the rails it fell into the water and landed on the bottom of the sea.

OT: Frankly I'm surprised the trailer didn't have Legolas fighting Sauron riding a mecha shark, while he space walks over the heads of Oliphants, tweaks the noses of a few dwarves, then kills Smaug with the black arrow. He did however have as almost as much screen time in that trailer as the dwarves. For fuck sake Jackson, yes I know you like Legolas, but you had your fun with him in LoTR, but at this point he's so far removed from Legolas the character, he's basically a mary sue.

Also, Pippins song? That's cheating! I'm not even sure Pippin has been born yet, have some...oh I don't know, /dwarven/ songs for the trailer, perhaps the middle verses of Over the Misty Mountains directly relating to the death of Smaug? Or a song from Bilbo?
The first one was stuffed with poorly made action scenes and i didn't feel that it ever took it's time telling the story, it just rushed from boring action sequence to boring action sequence, except for the riddle scene where they actually took the time to build some suspense. I just thought all the action was extremely boring and too over-the-top, most of the time it was hard to even see what was going on. It was especially bad near the end with the underground fight, that was some of the worst editing i've seen in a looong time. I'd rather have something a bit slower where they spend more time developing characters and serting up suspenseful scenes than the ridiculous actionfest we ended up with. It should have been more like the first Lotr and less like TinTin...

I enjoyed the second one more because the action was slightly better edited, but still too over the top (especially the fight against Smaugh, that was awful). And it had a bit more character moments, even though it's still pretty damn weak in the story department. I just found it more enjoyable than the first, but mostly because the first was so god damn boring that i almost fell asleep.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
I'll probably skip it as i did the second. The first was passable but i felt no great compulsion to see the second. Can't say i feel any need to see this one.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
The "Battle" of Five Armies was essentially a piss up between the Dwarves, Lake Men and Elves sitting around yelling at each other for two weeks before the Goblins decided to attack everyone. How that translates into a three hour long film I have no damn clue.