Trailer: Unfriended is The First Social-Media Horror Movie

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Trailer: Unfriended is The First Social-Media Horror Movie

Revenge comes online in social-media shocker

We've seen entire movies shot on cellphones, made from set in boxes, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/1016-Paranormal-Activity] but Universal is taking contained storytelling to a new dimension with Unfriended; a horror film set entirely within the realm of social-media.

In the film, a popular teenager kills herself after her life is ruined by an embarrassing video posted to the internet. One year later, a group of the deceased's classmates find their group Skype chat interrupted by an unknown caller who uses various chat, file-sharing and social-media sites to torment them... and cannot be disconnected. They soon come to believe they are dealing with the ghost of dead girl, and that she intends to use supernatural means to force whoever posted the video to finally confess.

Originally shot in 2014 as Cybernatural, the film was produced by Timur Bekmambetov and was well-recieved on the festival circuit this past Summer. It is now targeting a mid-April release date in the U.S.

Source: MTV [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q72LWqCx3pc]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

InsaneFool

The Dude Abides
Jan 18, 2010
I feel like it was a wasted opportunity to not use Knife Party's "Internet Friends" in the trailer.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Looks sortof interesting but the actual horror elements seems to just be the standart supernatural stuff, with the ghost forcing the people to hurt/kill themselves through supernatural means. I think it would have a bigger impact if they did it without all the supernatural stuff. That the bad guy is basically an anonymous hacker that just hacked their various cameras and stuff and leak videos to turn the various people against each other.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
So... this is the new horror gimmick to make the genre more cheaper and shitter? F*** YOU HOLLYWOOD.

"I know, let's just film it all on Skype. How much is Skype Premium for conference calls?"

However, let me watch it first then I can decide whether it's a pile of dog shit or not. I miss when horror was good and film makers actually put effort into it.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yeah this is soo bad for many reasons like for one, would you literally stayed on Skype when there is a killer in your room and those people don't look like the sterotypical internet nerd.

I'm still waiting for an online chain mail sort of horror movie, how can they missed out on that???

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Lol she's killing people because of a stupid video. That might be the stupidest reason to come back as a ghost ever. Especially since as a ghost, she could probably figure out who did it without killing anyone.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Lol she's killing people because of a stupid video. That might be the stupidest reason to come back as a ghost ever. Especially since as a ghost, she could probably figure out who did it without killing anyone.
Even better - apparently, that video has been uploaded to YouTube (in the film). Guess what you can't hide on YouTube? Who owns the account (or rather, which account uploaded the video). And I highly doubt any of those "protagonists" was smart enough to create a secondary account just for that video, it should be very easy to figure out, who uploaded the video simply by checking what other videos had been uploaded.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
So this is what Timur's been doing instead of Dusk Watch? I need my Others fix, come on! And hey, MTV is advertising for all its silly reality shows that this movie could so easily be based off of, right after the trailer. How nice to see the real life inspiration.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
InsaneFool said:
I feel like it was a wasted opportunity to not use Knife Party's "Internet Friends" in the trailer.
Had forgotten about that song, relistening now - thanks!

In other news, the film looks poop.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
PH3NOmenon said:
This looks like a new Final Destination. Moronic, but probably fun to watch.
That's what I thought! Though the premise is pretty scary in itself in that it could actually happen...

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Nimcha said:
PH3NOmenon said:
This looks like a new Final Destination. Moronic, but probably fun to watch.
That's what I thought! Though the premise is pretty scary in itself in that it could actually happen...
Until you remember that figuring out who uploaded such a video would only take about a week or two at worst, especially if the cops get involved (which, considering said video then would be relevant towards a suicide, is not unlikely to happen). Assuming they have to and the uploader wouldn't an idiot as I decribed above as possibility.

So, it's anything but likely to happen and hence not scary, just dumb.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Well this is a thing. Though from the description I can already see a glaring problem with the entire movie. So they can't stop the Skype call, and the files just keep playing. From the various files it's somehow supposed to make them confess because of reasons. If it's freaking them out that much, I have a few suggestions. Either just leave the freaking room, or I'm pretty sure you are in a room that has window access, so just chuck the thing out the window. Problem solved, no more ghost torturing you with files of unseen Pewdipie videos or MLP fanfic or whatever it is.

Depending on how bad it is, I might have to watch it at some point just because. Then again, watching it means supporting the makers, and not sure if I want that to happen.

Aug 1, 2010
That was easily the funniest thing I've seen since Cyberbully.

Just the idea of the ghost killer being a Skype call you can't hang up on is goofy enough, but even worse, every time it started to sort of show a decent horror scene, thy play those fucking social media sound effects and it looks like a cartoon.

Honestly, I can't wait. This is going to be so much fun,

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I'm suddenly reminded that for years, Hollywood has been threatening modern reimagining reboot of Videodrome.

I wonder if this was born from a rejected script or something.

The thought makes me want to vomit.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
luvd1 said:
Did I just see a guy being attacked by a blender?
He was doing a live stream of "Will it Blend?"

Scrythe said:
I'm suddenly reminded that for years, Hollywood has been threatening modern reimagining reboot of Videodrome.

I wonder if this was born from a rejected script or something.

The thought makes me want to vomit.
Still not a clue what that film was about, just remember alot of groovy stuff happening.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
God, I hate it when not-skype uses skype sounds.
Just shows you how pavlovian technology can get.

Either way, doesn't it seem incredibly annoying to have the movie take place in a browser window?