Trailers: ANNO 2070 - Launch Trailer

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Never paid attention to the Anno series, but I think I shall now do some investigating.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Thinking about getting this. Anyone have it that can recommend it to a serious fan of the sim city series?

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
kajinking said:
Thinking about getting this. Anyone have it that can recommend it to a serious fan of the sim city series?
Depends on what you like about SimCity. I've always found Anno to be a bit more 'hardcore' when it comes to citizens' demands and such. Like in Anno 1404, if you're planning on building some kind of mega-city you need a massive trade empire to support it, you can't just build advanced buildings whenever you want. It's almost more focused on the economic development of your states then Sim City definitely, and you do have to develop your city in a certain way if you want to develop effectively. For example:

In Anno 1404, I want to advance my patricians (the tier-3 population units) to the status of noblemen (tier-4) because I want access to better technology. So what do I need? Well I need these goods: Beer, Bread and Leather. I also need a church and a prison, which cost wood, tools, stone and other resources I need from the Orient (fortunately I already have an Orient settlement supplying me so that's no problem). But for the other goods:

Beer- Well I need hops and grain, as well as breweries, unfortunately my main island is unsuitable for hops and grain production. So I'll establish a colony on a nearby island that can support it, maybe throw down a small town of peasants to help cover the cost of maintaining the infrastructure. I'll build some grain fields and some hops farms, and I can build my brewaries there (or, if I want to have it as just a staple goods colony, I can just have the hops and grain shipped back to my main island and set up breweries there to get the whole goods produced faster but at the cost of waiting for the staple goods).

Bread: Well I already have a grain colony, so I'll just expand it and get a few more grain fields. Then I'll build some mills to grind it into flour, then build some bakeries and get fresh bread transported by ship to my main island.

Leather: Well, I need two things: salt and animal hides. Fortunately there are animal hides on most islands so I can just establish a colony for it where ever. Salt, however, is gathered from mines but is unprocessed, so I have do that first. I need to make a salt refinery, which uses unrefined salt and coal (I'm pretty sure, its been awhile since I played so honestly I can't really remember how to make leather that well haha). Coal can be mined but only at the noble stage, so I have to produce charcoal from trees instead. Finally, I mix the processed salt and hides together to produce leather garments.

This isn't even getting into how you also need to produce books, which require paper, ink, etc. It's basically Sim City meets Minecraft. If this wall of text appeals to you you will LOVE this series haha.

As to the OP: Dammit, why are all the games I was waiting for coming out when I have all my essays and exams due? Big fan of the Anno series, I really want to see how they handle a futuristic game considering all the others were based around historical eras. I'm just hoping that they didn't divide these technology choices up and instead they allow you to develop your civilization the way you want to choose.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
It's 50 dollar game that uses TAGES, with a three machine activation limit.
Still interested in playing it?

I was interested in it until I saw that. Which is a shame because the game does look cool. But I just can't support DRM like that. Steamworks I can handle, SecuROM I can live with, TAGES can fuck right off.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
So, still an annoying as all hell DRM system? Damn, I have to crack my legal copy of the previous Anno game just to be able to play it on windows 7. So Ubisoft still doesn't feel Steam gives it enough protection, huh? They really remain more worried that anyone who didn't pay can play than anyone who did pay can't play.

Screw it then, if they want me to put up with it, I'll wait for the steam sale. 10 euros sounds about right for a decent game that has been purposely shot in the foot and might be gone after my computer crashes 3 times.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Oh look, another game set in "the not too distant future when we somehow flooded/nuked/roboticized the planet" and now there are two to three factions of opposing viewpoints so ridiculous they wouldn't make it as comic book characters in the 21st century, whose motivations can be dumbed down into two words or less: "we're greedy" or "hug trees" or "just 'cause."

Can we please have a city-building game where the synopsis wasn't thought up in one afternoon?

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
robert01 said:

I was interested in it until I saw that. Which is a shame because the game does look cool. But I just can't support DRM like that. Steamworks I can handle, SecuROM I can live with, TAGES can fuck right off.
This. I had bunches of fun with anno 1404. But Ubisoft is dead to me as long as they dont abandon their draconian DRM. If they release Beyond Good and Evil 2....I will SUFFER if they havent ditched TAGES yet. It is my ultimate nightmare I think and I might have to hoist the black flag :\...and maybe ship them 50$ by envelope.

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
robert01 said:

I was thinking of buying this game before, but this post convinced me not to.

deckai

Oct 26, 2009
Yes, this is/was such a great series, too bad ubisoft destroys any fun with their draconic DRM and overpricing.

If you like the genre and want to try it out, buy Anno 1404 or even Anno 1701, both are rather cheap and still quite good, and don't need any kind of online activation (1404 after patch 1.1, but stay away from the Add-on). The difference is, it plays obviously in the past, but the mechanics are almost the same.