Trailers: Battlefield 3 - "99 Problems" Trailer

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Don't particularly remember this much angst over black ops having eminem.
Calm down children not every commercial is going to have death metal or techno in it.

BristolBerserker

Aug 3, 2011
gphjr14 said:
Don't particularly remember this much angst over black ops having eminem.
Calm down children not every commercial is going to have death metal or techno in it.
MW2 had eminem, black ops had rolling stones which was appropriate because of the era the game is set in. I feel that if you get the right music even a shit game seems appealing. I mean i was tempted to buy Call of Jaurez the cartel (knowing fully that it was shit) just because it had Pantera's Cowboys from Hell on the advert. I feel that metal is more suited to fps and shooter games than rap. Who wouldn't want to play a WW2 game with Slayer's Angel of Death being played.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
BristolBerserker said:
Who wouldn't want to play a WW2 game with Slayer's Angel of Death being played.
Probably the same amount of people who don't care about Jay-Z or Eminem. People have different taste.

Also googeling black ops and Eminem gives you the advertisement I was talking about.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
I felt bad for EA... for hiring a team of stupid asses for their marketing... I think they've just killed off all possibilities that ANY Female Players will EVER buy that game now... Thanks EA...

Reveras

Nov 9, 2009
They should take a hint from Crysis 2, that game had one of the best trailer soundtracks ever:

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
Xiado said:
I honestly don't see the connection between rap and war. War games should be represented by heavy metal, by something glorious and nasty, like the steel wheels of the war machine grinding and roaring along, music that's epic and repulsive and evil, not overindulgent, cocky and self-assured like rap.
Heh, ever watched Generation Kill? Cocky and self-assured about sums up the typical grunt and it makes sense to me really, the easiest thing to instill in a person is cockiness and self assuredness rather than an actual balanced understanding of the risks in something. That and the better beats is to me why rap works better than heavy metal for heavily edited war videos.

Anyway Jay-Z's song isn't actually all that sexist. The song that he got the chorus/hook from is though, I don't know how Ice T managed to get a woman to marry him... oh wait the cash... yeah. Honestly the PC-ness these days, "Oh my god he said *****! He must be a misogynist!". The song is about racist cops and hiding weed in your car and getting away with it because you're that damn good, the bitches thing is more of a shout out to Ice T and in my mind makes Jay Z's song play nicely against Ice T's. Ice T sang about all the bitches he has and Jay Z sung about all the problems he has.

People shouldn't get hung up about the word "*****", while it can be used to insult women its meaning has been watered down and women seem to have staked their own ownership of the word. I've seen quite a few women refer to a man as their "*****" and the word itself has a broad range of applications.

EdwardOrchard

Jan 12, 2011
Eh, it makes sense to me, I can see WHY they did this...

The MW2 trailer with 'Til I Collapse' by Eminem was an insanely good trailer, and probably one of my favourite game trailers of all time.
I can see what EA is going for here, they are just failing hard.

I like the video...I think I'll go and look for a different song to play over the audio though..just for fun.

Edit - For anybody interested, I decided to go with 'Mountain Song' by Jane's Addiction. Definitely works, try it out!

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
Still, the song has absolutely nothing at all to do with warfare. Even the MW2 ad with Eminem at least had generic "I'm not going to stop until I can't fight no more" lyrics. This is just a popular song from at least a year ago juxtaposed with scenes of violence.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
thehorror2 said:
Still, the song has absolutely nothing at all to do with warfare. Even the MW2 ad with Eminem at least had generic "I'm not going to stop until I can't fight no more" lyrics. This is just a popular song from at least a year ago juxtaposed with scenes of violence.
We were discussing it yesterday. The general consenous was that it was a subtle (ok not that subtle) dig at Call of Duty. The tag line "above and beyond the call" pretty much confirms that.

Even though they aren't in it they should use the guys from Bad Company in some ads.

Those were great.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
I think that a song like Stuck Mojo's Assassination Of A Pop Star would have been a lot more fitting. This just doesn't make any sense.

Heck, GWAR's Fishfuck would fit just as well as 99 Problems.

Cali0602

Aug 3, 2008
I can kinda see what they were trying to go for with this one, but...yeah, EA could use some help in their marketing dept. I like the idea of using something with a solid beat for a Battlefield trailer, but the lyrics have to have some relation to the subject...this is a lousy attempt at a good idea.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
CD-R said:
Even though they aren't in it they should use the guys from Bad Company in some ads.

[snip]

Those were great.
He he, yeah. I hated BF:BC2's single player, but the characters were great.

Wait, let me rephrase that topically.

I got 99 problems with BF:BC2's single player, but the characters ain't one.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Wow. This is kind of retarded. Why would anyone think this was a good song for the trailer?

kemosabi4

May 12, 2009
I think everybody is overreacting a little bit. Sure, the song doesn't exactly fit the theme of Battlefield, but it's still a catchy song. Don't take it at face value, just enjoy the beat. I for one thought it was a great trailer and think a rap song with a heavy beat actually works best in this situation.

And people are lowering their expectations of the game just because a trailer had a song they didn't like? Grow up, or move to the CoD camp before I kick you there myself.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
First off, THE SONG IS NOT ABOUT ANOTHER RAPPER TALKING ABOUT HOW MANY BITCHES HE HAS. If you were to listen to the entire song... ah who am I kidding? I'd just be wasting my time explaining something either nobody cares about, or would rather prefer to remain ignorant to.

Second, that's an interesting remix, and as much as I love rap music, I'll admit that there are far better songs to use than that.

_alter_ego

Jun 26, 2010
More and more I realize that EA's publicity team has lost it. I know their trying to take advantage of the Generation Kill culture, but really they just alienate everyone knowing their games are going to sell anyways.

Alakaizer

Aug 1, 2008
Reveras said:
They should take a hint from Crysis 2, that game had one of the best trailer soundtracks ever:

Erm...Didn't you notice the EA stamp right in the beginning of that video?

Captcha: sofheyo school,

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Hmm, not surprising that the users of a game site would hate this. Not saying it was the best choice of song, but in terms of conveying a sort of fun, high-octane thrill ride, I think it does okay. Try to imagine you don't hate rap so much, folks. It's not as bad as you think.