Trailers: Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 - Reveal Trailer

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
I've had a slight grudge against Treyarch ever since CoD 3 (and pretty much solely because of CoD 3), but I have to admit they do impress me a bit with every new game they come out with.

This looks pretty damn good. I'll be following it with interest.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Personally, I've started to become more of a Treyarch fan than an Infinity Ward fan, especially since, aside from a couple of tweaks and a few new guns and perks, MW3's was just more of the same of MW2's Multiplayer, while Black-Ops felt entirely different and separate from WaW's.

Plus, I'm one of the few people that actually does enjoy the Campaign of the CoD games, specifically Treyarch's since they at least try to be a bit more than the same old cliche tripe (doesn't stop it from having its moments, but overall it's still nice). I liked how Reznov carried over from WaW to Blops, and if Blops's intel is to be believed, then maybe we'll see Mason, Hudson, and Weaver in this new installment.

Besides, this looks like a future where the Cold War never stopped escalating, and I've always been a bit of a fan of "What if...?" Cold War scenarios, so I'd like to see how this plays out.

Aerograt

Jan 7, 2011
I haven't gotten a CoD game since I got CoD 4 used after MW2 was announced, and I wasn't really interested in its multiplayer anyway. I'm sorry to all the CoD hating Sheeple, but that trailer looks fucking awesome.

York_Beckett

Sep 23, 2010
I enjoyed reading the comments on one of the trailers on Youtube. Everyone wants CoD to change something, and when the changes are made, everyone's pissed and saying it doesn't look like CoD anymore.
Yes, because how dare they try to make something new and interesting when they can just make the same game all over again?

But seriously, this looks kind of interesting. I like the addition of science fiction elements, which I guess means I have to at least try it at some point.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
I'll probably get it since Black Ops was the most fun I had with a COD game and the lag was considerably less. Only reason I have MW3 still is my friends have it and its a way to keep in touch and have some fun.

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
GameMaNiAC said:
Yeah. Let's hate on it just because it's CoD. Despite the fact it looks pretty nice. /sarcasm

I like how everyone will most likely continue to rip on CoD for having no innovation, even though every game is always vastly different than the one before. I don't remember MW2 having survival mode, or MW2 having a zombie mode. Or MW1 having thermal scopes, heartbeat sensors. Or any other game besides Black Ops being set during the Cold War. This one seems to be taking us to the future, which is slightly refreshing and has potential to bring some interesting new stuff to the table.

OT: I really enjoyed the trailer. And the fact that Woods is alive, if that is him. It seems to me they improved the engine somewhat, or switched to a new one. In any case, I'll be on the look-out, it has big chances of being good.
If you actually read my post, you'd have seen that I elaborated on why I wasn't too excited for it.
I hardly call a survival mode an 'innovation', as a lot of games have them now, and a fair few had them before MW3. The same applies for a thermal scope and heartbeat sensor, the thermal scope is hardly anything groundbreaking, and heartbeat sensors are total copies of Alien's motion trackers.

And when MW3 literally had the exact same multiplayer scoreboards as the last iteration, and the animations and graphics looking identical to the last one two years ago, I find it hard to believe that much more effort has been put into the rest of the game.

Also, a setting can be as diverse and original as it wants, but if the game isn't hugely different from it's predecessors it won't feel new at all.

Yes, the future does have the potential to bring something new to the table, but I have a lot of doubts as to how genuinely new it will be.
There may be futuristic, unmanned helicopters as foes, horses to ride on, and new shiny guns, but from past experiences in playing Call Of Duty I think it'll just be shooting down the same helicopter-style enemies in the same way, and instead of riding horses it'll just be yet another on-rails section, and the guns will feel as light and boring as they usually do.

I'm not hating on CoD because it's CoD, I just don't have high hopes for the next entry in a game that's renowned for being the industry's biggest cash-cow and spitting out games on an annual basis with minimal differences between them.
You might think the different setting will make a better game, and that's fine, however I'm just not buying it.

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
Rainboq said:
Retardinator said:
Rainboq said:
Have you ever tried to write netcode before? That shit is HARD.
It's not hard if you took your engine from Call of Duty 4, which had none of that crap. How come most other popular shooters don't have these problems?
Oh and if you can't write code for a game properly, then you don't belong on the position of a game programmer anyway. There's three broken Call of Duty games already and nobody ever bothered fixing them. They just keep churning out crap that gets worse with every iteration...
...and then everybody buys it!
It's madness!
Edit: inb4 sparta
A game engine does not contain the net code, and net code has to be tailored to any specific game. Seriously, net code is probably the hardest software you can do outside of NASA or CERN. Seriously, do you have any programming experience?
I do have some experience in programming and, as far as I know, code is supposed to be written in a way to make it reusable. When it comes to netcode it's all about sending and receiving packets which contain certain types of data that the client needs to essentially "rebuild" the game state on the server in an efficient way(The way that doesn't require ginormous amounts of bandwidth), right?
Since game mechanics are practically unaltered from MW2, and thus CoD4, this packet sending and receiving should pretty much look the same in BO and MW3.
In this example net code doesn't even need to be tied to the game engine, since both Treyarch and whoever did MW3 essentially had the entire previous Call of Duty at its disposal. The point is that they still managed to cock it up.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Retardinator said:
Rainboq said:
Retardinator said:
Rainboq said:
Have you ever tried to write netcode before? That shit is HARD.
It's not hard if you took your engine from Call of Duty 4, which had none of that crap. How come most other popular shooters don't have these problems?
Oh and if you can't write code for a game properly, then you don't belong on the position of a game programmer anyway. There's three broken Call of Duty games already and nobody ever bothered fixing them. They just keep churning out crap that gets worse with every iteration...
...and then everybody buys it!
It's madness!
Edit: inb4 sparta
A game engine does not contain the net code, and net code has to be tailored to any specific game. Seriously, net code is probably the hardest software you can do outside of NASA or CERN. Seriously, do you have any programming experience?
I do have some experience in programming and, as far as I know, code is supposed to be written in a way to make it reusable. When it comes to netcode it's all about sending and receiving packets which contain certain types of data that the client needs to essentially "rebuild" the game state on the server in an efficient way(The way that doesn't require ginormous amounts of bandwidth), right?
Since game mechanics are practically unaltered from MW2, and thus CoD4, this packet sending and receiving should pretty much look the same in BO and MW3.
In this example net code doesn't even need to be tied to the game engine, since both Treyarch and whoever did MW3 essentially had the entire previous Call of Duty at its disposal. The point is that they still managed to cock it up.
Net code is also the stuff that interprets the incoming packets. Basically, it'd be like trying to use the C++ compiler in Java or Python.

legendp

Jul 9, 2010
York_Beckett said:
I enjoyed reading the comments on one of the trailers on Youtube. Everyone wants CoD to change something, and when the changes are made, everyone's pissed and saying it doesn't look like CoD anymore.
Yes, because how dare they try to make something new and interesting when they can just make the same game all over again?

But seriously, this looks kind of interesting. I like the addition of science fiction elements, which I guess means I have to at least try it at some point.
I feel like they could change the entire engine or leave it exactly the same, in the end people are some people are gonna hate it no matter what they do. I have never been big on cod but this looks interesting. I do however find it funny that people will say graphics don't matter but when a new cod comes out it is one of the first things they complain about. Sure they are behind but personally I find them fine. Name A single last gen game that looks better (2005 and before). Perhaps visually I am pleased too easily, I have owned crysis since release and the graphics are great but it is still fun on medium.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
Captain Pirate said:
But you still acknowledge the fact that, while it's not exactly 'innovation', it's still different than the previous installment. Meaning they're not all the same game every year. Meaning all the people who hate on CoD are wrong with that argument.

Besides, they did announce the new RTS mode. And the fact that we will make choices that affect the course of the story throughout the campaign. Not 'innovation', but it's different than the previous games, as always.

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
GameMaNiAC said:
But you still acknowledge the fact that, while it's not exactly 'innovation', it's still different than the previous installment. Meaning they're not all the same game every year. Meaning all the people who hate on CoD are wrong with that argument.

Besides, they did announce the new RTS mode. And the fact that we will make choices that affect the course of the story throughout the campaign. Not 'innovation', but it's different than the previous games, as always.
Well then yes, I suppose in that sense yeah they are different every year.
Like I said, they can add all sorts of new multiplayer modes and things, but with the engine being as old and familiar as it is it still feels like it's the same game I've been playing the past 4 years.
It's different, yes, but not enough to warrant me buying it.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
Okay. I'll give it a rent. The single player of COD games are always fun the first time through, even if they don't give you very cohesive stories.