Trailers: Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 - Reveal Trailer

GameChanger

Sep 5, 2011
The monologue in that trailer was boring, clichéd and boring, but the style they are going for interests me more than a little bit.

That may just be because I like science fiction, but still. This might the first CoD-game ever that managed to ignite that spark of interest.

One to watch.

Grape_Bullion

Mar 8, 2012
Iron Criterion said:
Grape_Bullion said:
Treyarch has this really bad habit of not understanding how to copy a modern warfare game. It is in fact, that they take place in a "modern" era. Not when my grandpa was blasting nazis, not when my other grandpa was hoping not to get malaria in 'nam, and especially not when my grandchildren have to fight Neo Soviet robots in Neo Los Angeles. Can this please be the Call of Duty that has terrible sales figures and puts an end to this series?
So Treyarch are bad for not recycling the same settings as Infinity Ward?

I'm actually quite interested, though I don't see how they'll be room for 'black ops' in a futuristic in your face setting. Mind you the original was pretty light on stealth.
No, Treyarch is "bad" for putting out sub standard products marketed with a brand name who's shoes they can never fill. They're always playing catch-up to IW's CoDs, and making settings that no one can relate to is one of the reasons.

Grape_Bullion

Mar 8, 2012
Iron Criterion said:
Grape_Bullion said:
Treyarch has this really bad habit of not understanding how to copy a modern warfare game. It is in fact, that they take place in a "modern" era. Not when my grandpa was blasting nazis, not when my other grandpa was hoping not to get malaria in 'nam, and especially not when my grandchildren have to fight Neo Soviet robots in Neo Los Angeles. Can this please be the Call of Duty that has terrible sales figures and puts an end to this series?
So Treyarch are bad for not recycling the same settings as Infinity Ward?

I'm actually quite interested, though I don't see how they'll be room for 'black ops' in a futuristic in your face setting. Mind you the original was pretty light on stealth.
No, Treyarch is "bad" for putting out sub standard products marketed with a better game, who's shoes they can never fill. They're always playing catch-up to IW's CoDs, and making settings that no one can relate to is one of the reasons.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Well, I think it looks like fun. Honestly, could not give a fuck about the voice acting in a game such as CoD. Perhaps the futuristic setting will lessen the amount of gun-nerds getting all uppity over tiny, irrelevant inaccuracies.

ToastiestZombie said:
Seriously dude, you're just trying to find things to complain about now,
What were you expecting? This is what The Escapist does every time a new CoD comes out. 'It's popular so it sucks!'

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Vryyk said:
Looks pretty business as usual for a Call of- wait was that a fucking horse?
I suspect it's acti-vision going on here: it might be 2025, but you still have Jihadists with kalashnikovs and horses!

... and macho men in tank tops and handkerchiefs tied around their biceps. They still need those, y'know.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
Fenra said:
Y'know this is the first CoD I've been interested in since the first Black Ops, which was in turn the first I ever actualy bought and played, time to dust it off and finish it

I'm fairly confident the story will be average at best given the near future setting, few can quite pull it off, but I was a huge fan of Battlefield 2142 so this does intrigue me.

Oh and I'm betting pony mods for those horses will be up within a week of the PC release
Yes, please! *squee*

I have to say, the premise does intrigue me a bit. I have really rather disliked the series thus far, but, I might have a look at this one in one form or another to see how the story works out. Call of Duty in the future... What ever happened to the WWII stuff, though? This will make... what... three non-WWII games in a row?

The horses are an interesting touch. You don't see that a lot, now, do you? And, from what I can tell, they seem perfectly in context with what's going on here. (Why are you people questioning it?) Technology is under enemy control here, so, it's pretty natural for the "Black Ops" to go low-tech. At least... low-tech for 2025.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
TheKasp said:
Wow do the ingame scenes look bad. If you make HL2 look sharp in comparison then you fucked up your textures.

May I also expect another shitty port to the PC like all of the last CoDs were?
Good, so I'm not the only one who noticed. I honestly couldn't focus on anything the first time I saw the trailer except how absolutely awful the game looked. You could try and make the argument that it's early in development, but that's just shit. There it no excuse in this age to have textures like that, especially in a game like CoD.

Now then, after I tried to pay attention to what was going on the second time watching the trailer... Yeah... I don't care. I don't. At all. It's a CoD game, the story will suck and it'll have characters that the writers couldn't name the personality traits of.

I'm still holding out some small amount of hope that MoHW will have enough stuff with Preacher's wife to make it interesting, but at least I know that some of the characters from 2010 will be back, ya'know, those characters that aren't super well characterised, but actually seem like real people?

My god I complain too much. Time to turn on maximum ignore mode.

Splitzi

Apr 29, 2012
Awesome, because what COD definitely needed was more unmanned vehicles. After falling off the metaphorical cliff in Black Ops, MW3 had almost climbed up to the ledge before looking down, yelling "fuck it" and diving off into an abyss of shit.

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
Khravv said:
Haseo21 said:
Y'know what, I would say that I'm part of the band-wagon that thinks COD jumped the shark, but I would be lying if I said this didn't look interesting.
Yeah... that is where I come out. I really hate to say it, and it is hard to say it, but... I...a-am...Interested. Slightly.

And horses. Why does the thought of gunfights from horseback appeal to me so much?
did you play Red Dead Redemption?

OP: I myself have not jumped on the CoD hate-train, and I am looking forward to seeing what they do with this. However, I still expect roughly the same thing from BO2, bad AI, repetitive gameplay, and... HOLY SHIT a horse!

Magikarp

Jan 26, 2011
GrizzlerBorno said:
I like all the people being interested in this game just for "OMG Horseback gun combat! AMAZING!". Ever heard of a little game called Red Dead Redemption guys? Or Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword? Treyarch is not revolutionizing ANYTHING with horseback combat.
It's not completely new!? That's it, shows over guys. We're not allowed to have fun any more.
Sarcasm aside, I get your point, but I think it's more to do with he fact that it seems particularly out of place in CoD, especially for the time period it's set in, so a fair number of people who play CoD won't have much contact with the sorts of games with horses.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Why was there no mention of zombies?! Not buying if no zombies!!!
Nah, looks alright, but I probably wouldn't buy it anyway. Play it at my friend's house. ^.^

[small]Seriously though, I want zombies.[/small]

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Creator002 said:
Why was there no mention of zombies?! Not buying if no zombies!!!
Nah, looks alright, but I probably wouldn't buy it anyway. Play it at my friend's house. ^.^

[small]Seriously though, I want zombies.[/small]
They did confirm from the get-go that Zombies will be returning. :)

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I like the section where they're riding horses, but beyond that, it all looks pretty much like Deus Ex/Perfect Dark meets COD.

It still doen't make me want to play it, but I can't wait for the LP's to start showing up.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
God...goddammit.

I had told myself after being fucked over by MW3 that I wouldn't buy another CoD game until they changed things up. And now I see that Treyarch is actually changing things up. This sucks.

Guess I'm getting Black Ops 2. It looks...like an actual change of pace for once. Huh.

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
pre-ordered already. weird hearing me say "hello, i'd like to pre-order the black ops sequel"
...but im not judging it on black ops 1. im excited.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
fi6eka said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
fi6eka said:
So, they are riping-off Rambo 3 now?
Rambo 3: movie set during the Cold War where the titular character guns his way through Soviet mooks in Afghanistan to rescue his Sarge.

Black Ops 2 game set in the future where the player character guns his way through highly-advanced weapons and robots controlled by terrorists.

???
Ugh,why do I even boder.GO rewatch the film.In it Stallone was being chased by a helicopter while riding a horse.

Are you seriously saying Blops 2 ripped off Rambo because of one scene? How the hell does this logic work?

Anyways, while this could lead to some interesting (yet slightly less confusing and murky) MGS4 themes, being a COS game, it will basically boil down to "all these advance weapons are dangerous to everyone, but only if they arent controlled by the American military, because America is a beacon of everything right in the world."

eternal-chaplain

Mar 17, 2010
I'm seeing something along the lines of 'Baby's First Metal Gear Solid' but with absolutely no stealth. Can I add emphasis on 'Baby's?'

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
Captain Pirate said:
If it wasn't COD, it would look amazing and I would be in the front seats for the hype train.
Yeah. Let's hate on it just because it's CoD. Despite the fact it looks pretty nice. /sarcasm

I like how everyone will most likely continue to rip on CoD for having no innovation, even though every game is always vastly different than the one before. I don't remember MW2 having survival mode, or MW2 having a zombie mode. Or MW1 having thermal scopes, heartbeat sensors. Or any other game besides Black Ops being set during the Cold War. This one seems to be taking us to the future, which is slightly refreshing and has potential to bring some interesting new stuff to the table.

OT: I really enjoyed the trailer. And the fact that Woods is alive, if that is him. It seems to me they improved the engine somewhat, or switched to a new one. In any case, I'll be on the look-out, it has big chances of being good.

F4LL3N

May 2, 2011
Thankfully for Activision, I've grown to love MW3's multiplayer. So I'll probably buy this. Also somewhat, but not over the top futuristic--just what I wanted. Also, NAY NAY, Moooo! Let's have some barn yard fun, ya'll.