Trailers: DC Universe Online Beta Combat

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
DC Universe Online Beta Combat

Combat footage from the beta playtest for DC Universe Online.

Watch Video

Master10K

Feb 12, 2010
Combat here looks boring and lacks variety. I just don't see how this game will have longevity, unless your character can have an ample amount of special abilities at their disposal, instead of 1 main ability.

All in all, there's no reason for me to get this game when Guild Wars 2 looks a whole lot better and more fun. Just look at any one of the skills in these Professions [http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/]. The Necromancer looks the most interesting.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Its looks kinda lame... Compared to WoW it looks like this guys arnt doing too much. But if this is from the beta they might make it better.

Ciran

Feb 7, 2009
That was very...hectic. I wonder if it'll make a little more sense when played, cause I couldn't follow anything during the video.

AKmontalvo

Nov 19, 2009
I was reminded of City of Villains, which i liked... but i wasnt really impressed by this
odd

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Square Square Square Triangle Circle -> Golden Axe Whirlwind?

Seemed....like a button masher

Xackery

Oct 6, 2010
This video reveals nothing. If anything, it reveals how bad this game will be if they consider this a combat revealer of a beta. Do you even have health bars? Do you use controllers, or is it all automated fighting? Do all large scale fights occur in cutscenes? For all we know these could be true. When you make a video, allow it to actually reveal how things work, not just pretty pictures. I doubt I'll ever play this game, anyways, just from the sheer idiocity of SoE and hero-based MMORPGs have on their shoulders, but who knows, maybe if this video actually showed me the downsides of such an MMO I may have actually, you know, had some interest.

Back to Guild Wars 2 for me. :p

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
wonder if its just the click combat like most MMOs or if its actually you controlling your character

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Master10K said:
Combat here looks boring and lacks variety. I just don't see how this game will have longevity, unless your character can have an ample amount of special abilities at their disposal, instead of 1 main ability.

All in all, there's no reason for me to get this game when Guild Wars 2 looks a whole lot better and more fun. Just look at any one of the skills in these Professions [http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/]. The Necromancer looks the most interesting.
"The ranger is a jack-of-all-trades and a master of them all as well, relying on his keen eye, steady hand, or the power of nature itself. A master of ranged combat, the ranger is capable of striking unwitting foes from a distance with his bow. With a stable of pets at his command, a ranger can adapt to his opponents' strengths and weaknesses."

In many MMO's, there is a danger of the Jack of all trades becoming a godmode character. This description does not make me happy.

legion431

Mar 14, 2010
Looks like shit compared to the trailer they brought out for this, which is probably what they spent most of their time making.

Jkudo

Aug 17, 2010
It seems like an attempt at showing off particle effects. There are a variety of animations and powers but they just did a horrible job with the video, extremely hectic. Looks realtime though.

Brainstrain

Oct 3, 2009
It may be real time but it's just like MMO combat; you react in a stock way to stock attacks and then immediately hit back, unless you're frozen/knocked on your butt.