Trailers: Deus Ex: Sarif Industries Testimonials

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Slycne said:
poiumty said:
So what's the explanation for Adam never changing his appearance no matter how much his augments progress but Gunther eventually turning into this Robocop dude.

You can argue that Gunther had extensive mech surgery replacing most of his organic parts, but this doesn't explain the big picture: why the old augmented agents in Deus Ex were displayed as mechanical, clunky cyborgs while in Deus Ex 3 they're all slick and very human-like.

Ultimately it's an issue of what could and couldn't be displayed on character models then and now, but it's really not that hard to come up with a few plausible reasons.

- Gunther volunteers for "first-generation" augments, possibly placing his augmentation before what's shown in Deus Ex 3.
- Military or UNATCO orders are given to the lowest bidder, so Gunther's augments are not designed for aesthetics nor represent the best levels of miniaturization.
You missed one, which would fit the character of Gunther exceptionally well: he wanted the augmentations to be plainly visible, to provide an intimidation factor.

OT: I like the ad alot. Gives a little bit of an ARG feeling to the game. As for the augmentations, please sign me up to have my eyes and ears replaced... along with everything from the neck down! There's a reason for my handle, after all.

Richard Hannay

Nov 30, 2009
ryo02 said:
Theogrim said:
Hmm, with this trailer trying so hard to seem realistic, the arm/hands implants wouldn't be developed so they are fully visable: they would be covered in mock silicon skin. Or with technology that advanced, fully grafted skin. Hell by the time we get to augments we will probably be able to grow replacement limbs in a lab and then attach them (we being the human race).
unless you prefer artificial limbs with no cosmetic skin thats what Id do ... if your going to have an artificial arm may aswell be proud of being cybernetic besides its really cool.
Sarif might charge a small fortune for the extra options that hide your augmentation. After all, making augmentations more exposed to the public (and therefore, more present in the public consciousness) would benefit the company. Forcing those that can only barely afford augmentation to begin with (Probably most of the middle class; that shit looks expensive!) to be obviously augmented is good marketing.

Sebster 105

Feb 27, 2011
Stuff like this bugs me

I don't know why, I just don't like it when a game/film does marketing like this

That said, I'll certainly enjoy The Human Rev

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
My new mission in life is to save up enough money to get myself a pair of those SWEET Virtual Reality eyes to ditch these annoying glasses in 2020 or whenever this is based! ^_^

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
It was all very touching until the very end. That female voice sounded like the owner wanted to get into my pants. Then castrate me.
A very sinister-sounding corporate spokeswoman. Looking forward to this game, though.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
poiumty said:
This is going a bit too far. Both with the message, and with the game's lore.

Here's a totally justified question: if you can augment your eyes without any external effects, then WHY DID GUNTHER HAVE RED GLASS BINOCULARS FOR EYES!? [http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/6379/mts2esmeraldaf1012168gu.jpg]
There's a difference between military and private models I guess.
Military values performance and cares less about visual appeal.

Also, the MIBs had augmentations you couldn't really see except that they had red eyes and gray skin (possible long term side-effect?).

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Cool, cool. Too bad it looks like a latex covering (which is probably what it is). Except for the hands' close up.

Still, it was great. Can I get a brain?

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Those augments sure look handy, though they'd probably cost an arm and a leg.
I suppose we'll have to keep an eye out for them in the near future.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
I actually am looking forward to not playing the game. Not because I don't like it, because I do, but I can't. No new console, computer is too old. But the cinematics and advertising are amazingly good looking.

Redem

Dec 21, 2009
Considering how dystopic Deus Ex is, I'm sure people hack off their own libs to get implant

Sepiida

Jan 25, 2010
The Deus Ex guys are getting really good at this sort of thing. This comes across as something we'll probably be seeing in the coming decades as human enhancement technologies progress (not so much the tech but the feel and tone of the advertisement.) Its very reminiscent of commercials we see nowadays for drugs, beauty creams and "male enhancement" products. Hell, if anything its more dignified than any of those. Its sure as hell getting me excited for this game.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
ryo02 said:
Theogrim said:
Hmm, with this trailer trying so hard to seem realistic, the arm/hands implants wouldn't be developed so they are fully visible: they would be covered in mock silicon skin. Or with technology that advanced, fully grafted skin. Hell by the time we get to augments we will probably be able to grow replacement limbs in a lab and then attach them (we being the human race).
unless you prefer artificial limbs with no cosmetic skin that's what Id do ... if your going to have an artificial arm may as well be proud of being cybernetic besides its really cool.
Actually, if we're going for a realistic depiction of future technology... there won't be robotics. Biological cells can already do pretty much anything once we understand genetics. Why would we start from scratch when we already have a system that works?

Also bottom up nanotech is a joke. We can make cool nanomaterials that have awesome properties, but nanites that are capable of complex functionality? Please. Nothing in the nanoscale would be capable of anything complicated. In order to accomplish complicated tasks it would have to be the size of a cell. And we already have cells. See point above.

Not to be a party-pooper.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
I got myself an ad-supported pair of eyes. It's much cheaper and, once you learn to ignore the constant stream of spam, just as functional.

Resonantscythe

Jul 28, 2009
punipunipyo said:
We haxor life, we feels happy... till the day repo comes knocking the door.....
You rang?

ALWAYS pay in full.

Seriously though, I would love me some replacement eyes. Whether the be technological or organic; I hate depending on glasses.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Doom972 said:
poiumty said:
This is going a bit too far. Both with the message, and with the game's lore.

Here's a totally justified question: if you can augment your eyes without any external effects, then WHY DID GUNTHER HAVE RED GLASS BINOCULARS FOR EYES!? [http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/6379/mts2esmeraldaf1012168gu.jpg]
There's a difference between military and private models I guess.
Military values performance and cares less about visual appeal.

Also, the MIBs had augmentations you couldn't really see except that they had red eyes and gray skin (possible long term side-effect?).
I believe there's a datacube or something similiar lying around in Deus Ex explaining the MiBs - the augmentation depigments the skin somehow.
Linky link: http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Physiopharmaceutical-augmentation