Trailers: Dust 514

Ninjariffic

VP of Winning
Jan 24, 2008
I want to know how many times the Escapist plans on posting the same trailer. I keep getting my hopes up for more news only to have them dashed when I'm shown the same trailer they've been showing for months.

salinv

Mar 17, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
Spartan448 said:
Some other people said that essentially it's Console Gamers using the interwebs to be the ground mercs for people playing EVE. THAT would be awesome. It would also require anyone in a major corp. to get a PS3.
Why? People who play EVE play EVE. They're the existing facet of EVE's universe. This is introducing a new facet of EVE, the ground troops who can turn the tide in a war. Why would you need the coroporation leaders to become ground troops? Corrupt politicians don't fight wars themselves, they use generals. Why would you need to wade into the battle yourself when there's a bunch of mercenaries who can do the job far better than you who you can buy to work for you, using the funds you shored up doing what you do?

Why on earth would you think existing EVE players are the target market for this game? Thats ludicrous. They are meant to interact with the new blood of this game, but they aren't meant to play it.

The people who eat bullets and shit browner bullets, they're the guys who should be playing this. The people who eat spreadsheets and crap org charts, they're to play EVE and hire the former category.
The even better part is that it will all be on one server ^.^

salinv

Mar 17, 2010
Worgen said:
dududf said:
Worgen said:
wait... this isnt coming out on the pc? what the fuck?
You, me, and every other FPS Eve online player agree.

Seriously, what the fuck? Also IIRC, CCP has 0 experience on the PS3. So not only using different infrastructure then what their coders are used to, but then abandoning the group... that this game is made to help/assist.

Seriously, what the fuck?
I thought this was going to be tied into eve aside from just plot wise, it could have been pretty awesome, guess its just some fps game based in the eve universe but it still doesnt answer the question of what the hell is up with no pc release
It was never intended for PC release, just as a different way to interact with the EVE universe. If it were on the PC, it would likely split the EVE audience, and for a game that is already as niche as it is, that would be a horrible idea.

rougeknife

Jan 2, 2008
OutrageousEmu said:
Essentially, PC gamers need soldiers, so they turn to the best place they can get numerous skilled players - consoles.
More like dumb grunts to be paid chips.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
bob1052 said:
Tdc2182 said:
I don't really understand the gimmick of this game. So it's just a single player Eve online?
Its 100% multiplayer shooter set in the EVE universe on consoles that will have direct communication to EVE players playing actual EVE and will allow negotiating/coordinating things such as orbital strikes from actual players playing EVE.
That's uhh... actually pretty sweet.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
salinv said:
Worgen said:
dududf said:
Worgen said:

Seriously, what the fuck? Also IIRC, CCP has 0 experience on the PS3. So not only using different infrastructure then what their coders are used to, but then abandoning the group... that this game is made to help/assist.

I thought this was going to be tied into eve aside from just plot wise, it could have been pretty awesome, guess its just some fps game based in the eve universe but it still doesnt answer the question of what the hell is up with no pc release
It was never intended for PC release, just as a different way to interact with the EVE universe. If it were on the PC, it would likely split the EVE audience, and for a game that is already as niche as it is, that would be a horrible idea.
yeah because people who like flying in space totally overlap with fps heads, if they were smart about it they could combine it into one game but it sounds like the 2 different game types will be separated by a wall besides it wouldnt have split the game, if anything it would make it more popular, this just kind of seems like a fuck you to pc fps players

Giftmacher

Jul 22, 2008
On the prickly issue of there not being a PC client, Farrer explained: ?we don?t want to cannibalise our own player-base.?
See this I understand, much as I think it's a shame. That said, I do wonder just how much it really would cannibalise the EVE player-base, even though they will interact with each other Dust514 and EVE are very different beasts as games go. An FPS simply won't scratch the same itch.

I'm a case in point I think, I found that EVE... well it wasn't for me as I already have a job ;) But a run-and-gun game set in the EVE universe, well that is tempting. If this were on PC I'd definitely try it, making me a new customer not one with divided loyalties or a "switcher". I doubt I'm alone.

-Gift.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
The reason it's not on Xbox is because of Microsoft and their policy on networking on the platform, so making Dust interact with EVE server directly (as in you can shoot a ship in EVE that orbits the planet you currently are on, or just chat with people that or on EVE) would be very complicated if not impossible.

Now as for not releasing it on PC.. it's silly move, i still can't really understand it. As much as i could give a go to "we don't want to cannibalize our current userbase" part there is also the fact that there is thousands of people on PC that don't want to play EVE because of how EVE plays but would love to play in EVE world through a shooter....

Oh well, maybe they will make a PC version in a year..or two..after they are done with the whole walking in stations deal.

EDIT: I'm actually thinking they might want to limit the amount of people playing DUST. EVE doesn't have 10 million players, and not everyone on EVE is active in the "land control" gameplay. Mercs could easily be more numerous than actual EVE players at this point.. or their "price" would drop due to supply:demand issues.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
From a purely PvP, military/strategical point of view, this game is awesome. It takes two seperate games and combines them to create a insanely huge level of "war".

From a PCer's perspective, one that does not have a PS3, this is bullshit. I mean, I was planning to get a console in the (rather far) future, and I was mostly keen on getting an XBox, but this puts me in a huge pickle...

Rucknar

Man of few words.
Jun 6, 2008
Keava said:
EDIT: I'm actually thinking they might want to limit the amount of people playing DUST. EVE doesn't have 10 million players, and not everyone on EVE is active in the "land control" gameplay. Mercs could easily be more numerous than actual EVE players at this point.. or their "price" would drop due to supply:demand issues.
Interesting point, but who's to say that its going to be a 1-1 ratio when it comes to Eve players hiring mercs, I get the impression, that for a corp to win a battle they are going to have to essentially hire an entire matches worth of PS3 players (the number of players per match is yet to be confirmed), in allot of cases that is going to be more than the number of players in the corporations hiring them.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
Oh god.

Oh god, oh god, oh god.

Every time I try to get out they just pull me back in. Why CCP why did you have to make an FPS? Do you really need all of my money I mean *reads the part were it's PS3 exclusive*

YES! I'm free. I don't own a PS3 and it ain't coming out on PC so I don't have to worry. Because no matter how much I love EvE I ain't buying a PS3 for it.

OutrageousEmu said:
rougeknife said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Essentially, PC gamers need soldiers, so they turn to the best place they can get numerous skilled players - consoles.
Let see how dumb we are when we can take down corporations in a week.
This idea I can so get behind.

FreaK367

May 26, 2010
I have an EVE Online account and I wasn't aware that Dust 514 was going to be PS3 only, when I heard about it some time ago I thought it was going to be fantastic, for example,

I thought I would be able to have EVE Online and Dust 514 on my PC, so when on EVE I could fly to a warzone, choose a side, then either help out fighting in the space above the planet through EVE or have an option to land and help on foot (as long as you have Dust 514 installed and linked with EVE), and when selecting that option, EVE would boot up Dust 514 and go into a low resource mode, so all communication lines are open between EVE and Dust 514 but it allows Dust 514 to use most of your RAM and CPU for smooth gameplay. Then a small cut scene of me landing on the planet at wherever the current spawn point is at, then I am launched into some immersive FPS gameplay using my EVE Online imported character and a choice of weapons/classes. Then I was hoping that when the war on the ground ended, after certain objectives are completed, the winning team would get paid in nice amounts of ISK, and the losing team gets slightly less ISK each (but still worth it). And the ISK would go directly to my EVE Online account.

You could gain reputation as a Dust 514 footsoldier through your experience playing and gaining achievements and such, and it could be shown through EVE when someone checks out your profile, so with personal wars between corps and whatnot, they could indeed hire you from your reputation, and as a result the pay in ISK could be in the many millions.

I was thinking an abundance of NPC created wars, so you could always find a fight nearby to go into Dust 514 and the pay could vary on the objectives, from a couple of hundred thousand ISK, to a few million or so ISK. But the BIG money would come from growing your reputation and being hired, for a fixed price, that could be as low as 10 million, or multiple hundreds of millions if they are convinced you will be the backbone of their invade or defend force.

That's how I imagined it...

A proper interlinked game that would blow the boundries of EVE online wide open, allowing it to take over MMORPG, Strategy and FPS.

Playing an FPS on a keyboard and mouse, is MUCH better than a controller. FPS Console gamers vs PC gamers would be a massacre of the console gamers. But controllers are better for all sports games, arguably racing games and such.

You just have much more control with a keyboard and mouse when trying to move and aim, instead of using two analog sticks. I have a 360 controller for windows which I use for games like DiRT2/3, FIFA11 and any other racing games and sports games.

It seems like a stupid decision to make Dust 514 PS3 only when it would flourish on the PC. I am really dissapointed, I don't have any consoles and I don't have the money to buy any consoles and FPS is my favorite genre to play.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
dududf said:
Worgen said:

Hey you're back. And they hired a new group to work on this game, all people with some PS3 experience.

OT: Well it's about fucking time they do something with this. I've been pretty hyped for this since, what, 2007 when it was first announced.

Taawus

Oct 21, 2008
OutrageousEmu said:
rougeknife said:
OutrageousEmu said:
The bloody hell you are!

*orders corporation dreads to decimate the planet*

Nuke them from orbit... it's the only way to be sure.

Taawus

Oct 21, 2008
OutrageousEmu said:
Taawus said:
OutrageousEmu said:
rougeknife said:
OutrageousEmu said:
The bloody hell you are!

*orders corporation dreads to decimate the planet*

Nuke them from orbit... it's the only way to be sure.
Did you miss theground based lasers that can destroy a ship in an instant? And if we destroy a ship carrying a nuke....

You wanna go to war with Ps3 gamers, so be it, but realise this - our experience is designed from the ground up to kill you. Our entire reason for being is to kill you. You cannot track us, you cannot find us, you cannot protect yourselves from us. You wanna go to war? This will be a war you cannot possibly win.
Your puny laser may decimate a dreadnaught.

So can our Doomsday device on a titan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOWNKGzU6TA

You may have your tiny battles on the ground. A few million isk here and there.

But we've been killing eachother relentlessly since 2003. Our entire existence is to be aware of potential threats, absolutely nowhere is safe. Highsec is the least secure space to someone who has picked sides.

We're the ones with all the ISK.

You need us, you'll be fighting us with sticks and stones against a capital ship fleet.
Hundreds of dreadnoughts up in the sky... all primed to decimate the ground.

*sips coffee and turns on the mega rail guns*