Trailers: Final Fantasy XIII-2 English Announcement Trailer

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Final Fantasy XIII-2 English Announcement Trailer

Lighting is back in this sequel to Final Fantasy XIII.

Watch Video

sgwee

Dec 13, 2009
heard them talking about this in the ENNNNNNN

but... as soon as I saw this I was like, wait... they were serious?!

dear god what is this going to be? sigh. guess I'll have to wait and see. rarely do they continue a final fantasy story and if they are serious in there narrative it might not be so bad.

Jonesy911

Jul 6, 2009
Even though I really didn't find much to like about ff13 at all I'm still really excited about the sequel because I'm an idiot

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Jonesy911 said:
Even though I really didn't find much to like about ff13 at all I'm still really excited about the sequel because I'm an idiot
Square is king at making exciting trailers for garbage. Don't feel bad.

I have to ask though, why? Doesn't FF13 already have 2 spinoff/sequels in development already that we've heard almost nothing about for the past 3 years? And was FF13 really such a success that people said "We want more?" It really is Square being their Squarest saying "Nah those tards are just to stupid to appreciate it. We know it's amazing so we're gonna do it again." Cause Square knows what we like more than we do.

Please Square, please Squeenix fanboys, stop, please stop. Let the Final Fantasy series die. Stop raping the corpse of a once great series.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I love how these threads are just non-stop FF13 bashing.

I bought the game twice. What? The PS3 version really is better.

crouchingtigress01

Mar 14, 2009
While I do think the trailer is very pretty, I do hope that they have learned from their mistakes and make an honest attempt to create a more immersive and open world game like all the previous FFs we love

On that note, I hope they hurry up and remake Final Fantasy V ^_^ It's one of my favorites because of the job changing ability

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
I actually liked FF13 to be honest, it was better than the shitfest that was 12 anyway. Consider me intrigued.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
crouchingtigress01 said:
While I do think the trailer is very pretty, I do hope that they have learned from their mistakes and make an honest attempt to create a more immersive and open world game like all the previous FFs we love
But FF games never really did anything with their "open worlds". You trekked through them in a linear nature, rarely backtracking, and the world map only hid a few locations full of optional uber bosses.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
Hawk of Battle said:
I actually liked FF13 to be honest, it was better than the shitfest that was 12 anyway. Consider me intrigued.
I agree ever since the announcement of a XIII-2 I have been kind of excited granted it was not the best FF game but I liked XIII.

PurpleLeafRave

Hyaaaa!
Feb 22, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

In what way is it better?
I'm not disagreeing with you, just asking.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
crouchingtigress01 said:
On that note, I hope they hurry up and remake Final Fantasy V ^_^ It's one of my favorites because of the job changing ability
X-2 reminded be of 5 very much...The one thing I really liked about X-2, actually. Was the combat and job system.

I'd play a 5 remake if the hero is named Butz again.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
PurpleLeafRave said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Runs better, looks a tad better. Loads tend to be faster, too.

The disc-changing never really bothered me, but that's gone, too.

Also, it just feels right to play FF on a PS3. It feels right...That said, I only played the PS3 version for 3 hours, since I got my PS3 in August. I'll play the game again in a few months, when my backlog is cleared.

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

I actually enjoyed FF13 and the only thing I wasn't too fond of was that auto-attack was basically all you used the whole game but I loved the combat despite that. I enjoyed the story and most of the characters.

I will get this for PS3 as well, keeping the FF franchise where it belongs, on the PS. Just hope it doesn't turn out to be FFX-2 where it seemed to be aimed towards young teenage girls, the combat was good though but that was about it.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:

I'm more concerned about this game falling into the same trap that XIII did: Removing features and freedom from the game while saddling you with a story that requires meta-game reading. Also, me calling out a game for being well below standards and having poor/restrictive design choices brought in is not bashing anything.

Besides, given how Square has been shutting up people on their community forums for raising concerns about their games makes me distrust their company even more than normal. I already tried XIII once to see if I liked it, and I don't. Announcing an XIII-2 game is not changing that view.

On a side note, Lightning now looks like Kaim and Yuna from X-2 with that hair and costume. Seriously, it's ripped right from those two.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
I liked FF13 a whole lot to be honest. Wasn't the best FF out there, but it was quite enjoyable, and loved everyone from the main cast(including Hope and Vanille, though Vanille took longer to get used to). Battle system was pretty fun too!

So obviously I'm looking forward to this. I don't think it will be too bad, and the antagonist looks cool at least. Also like how they have a english trailer for this already. I mean, they probably could have recorded those lines months ago, but hey, a release date closer to the Japanese one is something to hope for right?

And of course this game won't be for everyone, but I hope it doesn't do too badly. Still can't wait for Versus though. =P

Black Prism Adel

Oct 13, 2009
to be fair, FF X-2 was described as a bimbo brigade in a magazine i was reading, and well it was kinda try i get that yuna had changed in the 2 years but she went from being a meaningful character to being pretty well... stupid with a really shallow reason for becoming a sphere hunter.

i am hoping the FF XIII-2 wont do the same to the characters and give a good story to go with them because for me the deal breaker will be if they have basically killed the characers origional personalities and give it half assed story

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

true, I mean in the PS3 version you can see the hallways in Blu-Ray Vision!

OT: unless they can pull the story out from under the shit pile that was FF13, Im thinking it will be just like FF X-2.

but, being completely serious, let us control our other people in combat. That alone might be worth seeing.

Ipswich67

Oct 19, 2009
Why are they continuing this story? Did they not learn from X-2? More appropriately, did they not learn from XIII? Sure it sold well, but that can be attributed to hype and little else. I guess when it come to reviews, Square just puts their hands over their ears and goes "LALALALALANOTLISTENINGLALALALALA"

I'll stem my rage there and just say that they need to drop this game and work on Versus.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
Sylveria said:
Jonesy911 said:

I have to ask though, why? Doesn't FF13 already have 2 spinoff/sequels in development already that we've heard almost nothing about for the past 3 years? And was FF13 really such a success that people said "We want more?" It really is Square being their Squarest saying "Nah those tards are just to stupid to appreciate it. We know it's amazing so we're gonna do it again." Cause Square knows what we like more than we do.

Please Square, please Squeenix fanboys, stop, please stop. Let the Final Fantasy series die. Stop raping the corpse of a once great series.
As far as I know, It was the fastest selling Final Fantasy game and it holds an 82-83 average on Metacritic. Most of the complaints are from the vocal minority. It's not like Final Fantasy XIII got treated that way because it was a Final Fantasy game either.
Ipswich67 said:
Why are they continuing this story? Did they not learn from X-2? More appropriately, did they not learn from XIII? Sure it sold well, but that can be attributed to hype and little else. I guess when it come to reviews, Square just puts their hands over their ears and goes "LALALALALANOTLISTENINGLALALALALA"

I'll stem my rage there and just say that they need to drop this game and work on Versus.
Because a game is a failure when it gets an ~80 average score.

Ipswich67

Oct 19, 2009
Defense said:
Sylveria said:
Jonesy911 said:

As far as I know, It was the fastest selling Final Fantasy game and it holds an 82-83 average on Metacritic. Most of the complaints are from the vocal minority. It's not like Final Fantasy XIII got treated that way because it was a Final Fantasy game either.
Ipswich67 said:

Because a game is a failure when it gets an ~80 average score.
Buyer's remorse, my friend.

I am an avid FF fan. I was all set to love this game, like I have for its predecessors. I even pre-ordered the game, and payed an extra $30 to get the hard-bound text book of a guide. After all that, I thought it was the weakest installment of all the Numbered Final Fantasies. I have never quit playing a game part-way through until this game. Sure I'd heard it got better later (and you can see Yahtzee's review for an appropriate analogy of just how much "BETTER" it got), and watching my brother pick up right where I left off (so I missed none of the plot, mind) and seeing to the very end, I STILL had no clue what the hell was going on.

And is no one besides me looking forward to Versus?

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Apr 8, 2020
Country
United States
I liked FF XIII, and I'm curious to know what they are gonna do with the rest of the story.

Maybe some answers about what happened at the end because that ending was really weird how it was cut off like that.

Here's to hoping.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
Ipswich67 said:
Buyer's remorse, my friend.

I am an avid FF fan. I was all set to love this game, like I have for its predecessors. I even pre-ordered the game, and payed an extra $30 to get the hard-bound text book of a guide. After all that, I thought it was the weakest installment of all the Numbered Final Fantasies. I have never quit playing a game part-way through until this game. Sure I'd heard it got better later (and you can see Yahtzee's review for an appropriate analogy of just how much "BETTER" it got), and watching my brother pick up right where I left off (so I missed none of the plot, mind) and seeing to the very end, I STILL had no clue what the hell was going on.

And is no one besides me looking forward to Versus?
Ah, but most companies would pay for a sequel if the first turned out to be a financial success, despite how horribly it may have been reviewed. It's the same reason why Jason Friedberg and Adam Seltzer keep pushing out trash like Vampires suck and [Adjective] Movie despite getting horrible reviews. I actually had little problems following the storyline myself(the basics at least), but it was executed in a horrible manner.

And Versus XIII is actually one of the games people are more excited about because it's unlike Final Fantasy XIII.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
They must really hate money and success at square. Seriously an FF7 port would be piss easy. A remake wouldn't be that hard either.

Skunktrain

Nov 19, 2009
Which comparison will they try harder to avoid: FFX-2 or FF13?
That's my only question.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
it's interesting how people can judge a game that's due a year from now only by a teaser

FF13 wasn't the worst game ever made, and FF13-2 won't be either
there's even a pretty good chance that it will be better

and i don't really care about this new outfit or this gay guy crossing swords with her
all that counts is gameplay

chozo_hybrid

Jund 'Em Out!
Jul 15, 2009
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
They must really hate money and success at square. Seriously an FF7 port would be piss easy. A remake wouldn't be that hard either.
You can buy it online at the Playstation Store. Why are people so obsessed with living in the past, let them make new stuff, 7 had its day in the sun, I like the game. But a remake isn't all that necessary, to some fans they think it is, but maybe they want to work on something different. I mean, it already has a few spin off games and a movie to expand that universe, isn't that enough?

Plus, the amount of work for a remake wouldn't be easy, there's so much that would go into making it, it's for a system a few generations ahead of what the original was on, it'd have to be built from scratch, then there would be new things to worry about like voice actors etc.

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
13 was the first ff game ive actually enjoyed of the main franchise, so looking forward to this

>please delete this account<

Leaper

Jun 3, 2009
Sylveria said:
Well, it was comercial succes for sure, thats pretty much all you need for company to start making sequel for a game. Though people either loved it or hated, pretty much no middle ground, same thing from critics mostly too.

And those spinoffs are pretty much entirelly different games that dont have much to do with FF13, you could kinda give another name to them and no one would even see the difference.

Mar 16, 2009
This game promises to change problems that people had with the last game, such as the ability to control one player. In order to better bond with the characters, they are now removing the one player from your control, and making it a $60 film. :3

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
This is gunna suck so hard. I mean...shit I suppose if they decided to just take a step back make it more open world like 6 or 7. Then it could work, Im just hoping they do. Although aside from Tactic's I pretty much tapped out of the franchise at 8.

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
FF13 is a good game with a few flaws. FFXIII-2, while unnessesary, has a chance to improve upon those flaws. I, for one, will be playing it.

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
XIII - 2 is still shit until proven otherwise. But I won't give them the chance because I will never buy another FF again until I see some noticeable improvement in quality and such.

dibblywibbles

Mar 20, 2009
oh boy another final fantasy game that's going to suck. it hurt my soul to trying to get through XIII, which sucks because I had high hopes for it. I still would give them the benefit of the doubt if they made a new world, but a sequel to something that actually killed a piece of me inside is not something I'd support.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Huh, so Lightning is the only character to make the transition, she's now some kind of guardian-paladin or soemthing and facting off against a sephiroth-wannabe, colour me not impressed.

dkyros

Dec 11, 2008
I'm angry and confused.

also wtf captcha I totally spelt the words right the first time

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Depressingly linear. Even the levelling system only created the illusion of customisation.
Horrible unlikeable characters. The only one I liked was Sazh and that chocobo ruined that for me.
The combat was basically on auto pilot.
I can't comment on the story because I only played for 14 hours, but what I can say is no game should be boring for literally over half a days worth of play (over a day if what I've heard is true).

Honestly it was a mess, between the linearity and the auto attack it was barely a game. Even equipping weapons and armour had been dumbed down. There was almost no actual gameplay, it was just walking the characters from one cutscene to the next, hit auto attack, rinse and repeat until you know what the fuck is happening in the story.

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
Hey question Escapist Staff? Why did we make 2 news stories dedicated to XIII-2 and not one for Versus which also had a 6 minute trailer? I get that showing the trailer would thereby remove the joke of 'Versus is the new Forever' But seriously

Here's the Trailer
[gametrailers=ffxiii-versus-2011-trailer/354412]
How the FRAG do you embed Gametrailer videos?
http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/ffxiii-versus-2011-trailer/354412

Here's the Trailer with Subtitles

IT was in a news release, and you managed to report on literally everything else. I would think the first big news on Versus in... years would warrent a news post. No? 2 on the crap one?

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Yeesh. You know, I thought FFXIII's battle system was amazing. I really only hated the corridors. I felt like it was digital S&M; corridor punishment until I was relieved by the sweet, soft touch of the battle system. I have played FF since the NES. I have to wonder if this style of RPGing has just become unfashionable...what do you all think?

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
crouchingtigress01 said:
But FF games never really did anything with their "open worlds". You trekked through them in a linear nature, rarely backtracking, and the world map only hid a few locations full of optional uber bosses.
Maybe so, but it's better than going down linear corridors all the time, and one of the things that set the JRPG games apart from other genres, in other games you could find tokens to get another life or ammo and a health pack, JRPGs rewarded the players by making them feel badass/smart/like smug bastards by letting them kill tougher bosses and earn the Supreme Ultimate Bonus Sword of Doom.

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
Unless they bring Vanille back, i probably won't bother. If they try to replace her, the new girl will just try too hard.

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
ABLb0y said:
Unless they bring Vanille back, i probably won't bother. If they try to replace her, the new girl will just try too hard.
I'm in agreeance with you. Although I want Fang back as well.

But someone told me in another thread that Lightning is trying to bring them back. Hopefully that's true.

War-hamster

Apr 5, 2010
SpaceMedarotterX said:
War-hamster said:
Final Fantasy XIII-2? Why couldn't they just call it FF XIV?
because this is set in the same setting as FFXIII, also cause XIV is already out
Funny, if every game is set in different setting, why not give it a different name? It can be really confusing for any newcomers to the series. Or if they want to keep the name, they could just call it FF XV, doesn't make any difference at this point.

I wonder if there is a series with even bigger number in the title:D

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:

That is because that game deserves it ^^

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
icame said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

That is because that game deserves it ^^
It really REALLY does deserve.

War-hamster said:
SpaceMedarotterX said:
War-hamster said:
Final Fantasy XIII-2? Why couldn't they just call it FF XIV?
because this is set in the same setting as FFXIII, also cause XIV is already out
Funny, if every game is set in different setting, why not give it a different name? It can be really confusing for any newcomers to the series. Or if they want to keep the name, they could just call it FF XV, doesn't make any difference at this point.

I wonder if there is a series with even bigger number in the title:D
Because a franchise name like Final Fantasy holds a weight.

Apr 25, 2009
I loved the art and design, and the music was beautiful...

Plus, I wouldn't mind snuggling Lightning in bed a little, if you know what I mean ;)

I'm glad they've gone back to the fantasy style again, instead of the cyber-punk crap... Also, I've never played a Final Fantasy game, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate it! Right?!

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
ABLb0y said:
Or you could simulate Vanille's presence by giggling like a four year old every time you come across a new landscape, animal or character. OK, her backstory was probably the most interesting of the six, but that didn't keep her from being annoying.

I don't have anything against having her playable in FFXIII-2, but she needs to grow the fuck up.

I'll definitely pick this up when it comes out in 2019.

Psychedeliasmith

Jan 1, 2008
I actually recoiled at this news, lol - I was just sat there thinking 'Why would you do that?' Half of that video was just the ending to FF13 anyway - reminding me of what a disappointment that was. But then, FFX-2 was hated by the people who loved FFX, so perhaps FFXIII-2...perhaps. I secretly adored FFX-2 though so who knows. Definitely won't be buying the thing until it's been out for months at any rate, brand loyalty only got me so far.

saber152

Apr 21, 2010
The FF games stopped being great after 9 (yes in my opinion) 10 was alright, X-2 was an abomination and was bloody pointless to make, the MMOs never tried then not paying to play online after i bought the damn game, and anything after that so far seems just drawn out to me.

Stuntkid

Cyberdemon
Oct 6, 2010
well, if it's anything like X-2 then square is royally fucked (minus the kickass battle system of course.)

Lord_Nemesis

Paragon Printer
Nov 28, 2010
Dear mother of holy God, are we really going to be tormented by another Final Fantasy XIII? Was the first part not bad enough that all of us FF fans bled even harder after the wounding blow of Final Fantasy XII? Can we not bring back the old days? When the compelling and addictive nature of Final Fantasy would beseech us to sit for hours and hours just to gain one more level before bed or reach disk 3 by Friday?

Please, for the love of all we and you, Square, hold dear: bin this project and make us a proper Final Fantasy game.

DEATHROAD

May 14, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
PurpleLeafRave said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Also, it just feels right to play FF on a PS3. It feels right...That said, I only played the PS3 version for 3 hours, since I got my PS3 in August. I'll play the game again in a few months, when my backlog is cleared.
The is no game in the world, no matter how good, that i would buy twice while my original copy still works, espcially not for a slight preformance boost.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
DEATHROAD said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
PurpleLeafRave said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

The is no game in the world, no matter how good, that i would buy twice while my original copy still works, espcially not for a slight preformance boost.
Hi! I'm a giant trophy whore!

Rafael Dera

Aug 24, 2010
Mkay; who is chicken girl, and why is she fighting emo-kid?
kudos for the misshapen crystal tree though.

ziggy161

Aug 29, 2008
Wasn't interested in FF13, not interested in this....

*sigh* When will they return to more traditional 'fantasy' in terms of rustic, medieval kinda settings rather than 'fantasy = in the future, oh and with magic'. I really enjoyed the original FFs and the closest they came to them in the 3D games was FF9, which I loved. Ah well, whatever makes them money, eh....?

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Call me when Versus XIII comes out. I'll be over here playing Secret of Mana for nostalgic reasons.

etherlance

Apr 1, 2009
This all should have ended with Cloud and Sephiroth........or if they really wanted to squeeze it, then it should have ended with Tidus and Yuna.

Please Square Enix........let the series end.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Wairing armor whilst keeping parts of your body unprotected beats the reason for putting on the armor: protecting said bodyparts. Also the metal will be touching the naked skin all the time on the unprotected places, wich will be really cold and uncomfortable. At least wear some chainmail. Or a piece of cloth. If you want to show off your body, do so in the safety of camp, not during combat. Retard girl. I hope she dies. And FF with her.

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
DEATHROAD said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
PurpleLeafRave said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Hi! I'm a giant trophy whore!
You certainly are. ;D

Grats on passing me by the way (Agarest slowed me down). I do have New Vegas, Two Worlds 2 and LBP2 to gather trophies in though. Now all you need is to make level 14 to pass the current leader on my friend list.

OP: I'll play FFXIII-2. But I really want Versus 13 and Type 0. Also I can't wait fro Dssidia: Duodecim. Until then, it's Star Ocean: First Departure in my PSP.

Gentleman_Reptile

Jan 25, 2010
This trailer looks like the developers have hired Leonardo DiCaprio, had him go into my dreams, steal many ideas for visual style and music score I was going to use for the anime I'm writing, dragged them through the puddle of pandering pretentiousness, and developed a game out of it.