Trailers: Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters Trailer

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
Well it's CGI trailer that doesn't say much about the game (of course) but I can't see it working. How can you make a weapon that's directly controlled by your mind emulate through a gamepad? Unless they gave you a Zork-like freedom to type in anything you want to do and... yeah right. Anyway, it's a movie tie-in, correct? There shouldn't be much discussion on whether it will turn out to be a great game or not.

Rakkana

Nov 17, 2009
While I cringe in the corner waiting for the biggest disappointment in the gaming year so far, please go and make a trailer with some ACTUAL game play.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
KoolAidSoup said:
So, how much do you suppose it costs to fire that minigun for... never mind.
You did well!

OT: Yup, looks like another weekend rental. I'll gladly play a superhero game, but only a select few are worth spending more than 5 Euros on.

Wilbot666

Aug 21, 2009
Sadly I have to predict that this game will be a big disappointment.

Firstly, the *only* movie-tie-in game that I've played and enjoyed was Wolverine Uncaged on PS3, and even that was fairly bland (read repetitive).

Secondly, the Green Lantern was always going to be a tough one to translate into a game because of the nature of his powers. He can make literally ANYTHING with his ring (colour notwithstanding), but what's the bet that in the game they'll just give you power beams and a big green hammer to use?

Don' get me wrong guys, I *really* want this to be good, but considering all they showed us here was a CGI cut-scene...well let's just say that I'm not holding my breath.

Oh God, something else just occurred to me:
Anyone else thinking that the only use for a power-battery in this will be as a save-point, shop or something equally lame just so that they can cram it in? If I have to listen to the oath EVERY damn time I save my game I may go postal.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I really want this not to suck.

To be honest the most annoying thing about a GL game is the powers are a little too unlimited..What I mean is your going to be able to think of something that would be more useful that the game allows you to create.

grey_painter

Feb 10, 2009
I'll reserve judgment on the quality of the game till I see the actual game.

What stuck out to me though was Hal shot one of the manhunters down and THEN asked if they were robots. Seems like he used lethal force a bit too quickly.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
So those are Manhunters! For the longest time I didn't know who they where when mentioned in the comics and was also quite confused when John Jones was called the Marshin Manhunter

-M

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
LogicNProportion said:
Let's hope they don't get painted yellow!
It depends if it is post Paralax or pre-paralax (I couldn't watch atm, in class). If post Paralax the Corp has learned how to overcome the weakness to Yellow. New recruits learn it before they are sent out to do their thing.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Doesn't sell me on the game, but I do like Kilowog's voice. I hope he has the same voice actor in the movie.

A_who

Sep 17, 2010
I actually thought this was a part of the DCU game. Then I was disappointed when I found it is probably going to be crappy movie tie in game.

Kavonde

Usually Neutral Good
Feb 8, 2010
I loved Kilowogg's VA. He's a little bit rumblier than the DCAU version, which works well. (Although it may be the same guy, just with a different set of audio effects.) Also, Sinestro creating a minigun entertained me greatly. Here's hoping the game doesn't suck! Or, at the very least, that it doesn't suck as bad as the Superman Returns game.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Nice CG cutscene. I digged the machine gun part (which totally makes sense...Sinestro had been to earth and is familiar with its technology). I dont hold much hope for the videogame (at least until i see some solid gameplay), but at least this gives fanboys a few clues of how the Lanterns will fight in the movie and how they handle the GL Corps team dynamics.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Not doing the Manhunters correctly is in keeping with the way they are mangling super hero movies for the big screen to make them easily understandable. The entire "robots gone bad" thing is something that has been drilled into the heads of the public to the point where they figure they can sell that without needing to bother with the entire subtext of what gives this paticular idea personality. As was pointed out, the robots in this case didn't exactly go bad in any absolute sense, and they WERE screwed over by the council which makes the entire situation fairly tragic. On a lot of levels the Manhunters can be considered fairly heroic in their own way.

I *DO* understand that it's difficult to translate years worth of subtext and concept building into a two hour film, especially given the video/audio nature of the medium and it's limitations compared to text, or even sequential art in terms of delivering depth and exposition. But then again a lot of the problem also comes from the writers/directors wanting to put their own mark on things, and hopefully get a hybrid franchise going, so they inevitably want to focus on origin stories, yet toss out cool things that wouldn't have come about until years or decades after a character was established. For "The Manhunters" to work you shouldn't be having a newbie Hal meeting them, the whole idea is the big surprise that "yes, there was an attempt at galactic policing before the Corps.".

As far as the robots not being able to see shades of gray, yes and no. It's been stated that way, but I think the issue is that they tend to enforce a set of codified laws accross the entire galaxy with themselves as the ultimate authority, as opposed to by and large working with the local/planetary laws and authorities, and frequently within the customs of that planet. The Manhunters might be doing the right thing, but at the same time nobody likes robocop showing up from on high and say arresting all your local officials or whatever.

In the case of a Manhunter arresting both a bank robber and the hero that hit him, that one is actually pretty straightforward since they are both criminals in an absolute sense. Heck, most heroes spend a LOT of time hiding from the authorities themselves, being vigilantes. The whole point of them concealing their identities is to avoid accountability for their actions, putting stopping the bad guys ahead of things like collateral damage. The idea being that the mask/secret identity means nobody is going to arrest him for assault, breaking and entering, destruction of public property, and any civil matters that might arise. The big differance is that a Manhunter *CAN* arrest a DC analogy to say a Spider Man or whatever, along with the villains, as opposed to being as powerful as the cops are. Unlike the Green Lantern Corps. it also isn't going to be following the policies of the planet any more than the hero or villain would in order to do it, because it's enforcing the laws laid down by the council and views all other laws as being irrelevent.

That's how I understand it at any rate. The concept also reminds me a bit of say "Watchmen" or "The Incredibles" where due to complaints about registered heroes (which is again, why most heroes are vigilantes as oppoed to goverment operatives to begin with) they decided to ham-handedly try and just get rid of them rather than dealing with the more complicated, (and expensive) matter of making things work. As the Manhunters were created to be self aware being basically discarded was an especially douchebag thing to do. The Guardians are kind of asking for it in this paticular case, though it's no fault of the corps who simply succeeded them without the knowlege to begin with.

Ah well, enough rambling. Seems like a banal game based on shallow movie logic, throwing out Manhunters simply for being fairly iconic to the franchise.

As far as doing a good Green Lantern game goes, I think it could be done, but really the only system right now that could pull it off might be the DS or it's successor. While not appealing to the lowest human denominator, the whole "Green Lantern" concept is perfect for a turn based RPG for a system with a stylus. It would allow you to draw pictures with the stylus which would reflect the manifestation of the powers on the main game screen, with stats largely guiding effectiveness, and of course concepts like energy and willpower influancing your drawing as effects that are going to be larger and more powerful would drain the charge of your ring faster (like spellpoints, various aspects of willpower would of course influance things like damage, and the size of objects (for AoE), the strength of shields, and similar things, and of course there would be issues like debuffs from things like fear that influanced your stats and affected your power manifestation.

I could see a good Green Lantern game done around mechanics like those above, but that isn't quite the flashy "style over substance" approach they want with a movie tie in game, and of course while a fairly accurate way of acheiving what you see in the comics, turn based RPGs are currently a niche genere.