Trailers: Halo: Combat Evolved - Anniversary Trailer

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Halo: Combat Evolved - Anniversary Trailer

Revisit the beginning in this anniversary edition.

Watch Video

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Before Halo 2 and Halo 3 made everything all shitty

Before some dumbass thought Halo would make a good RTS

There was...Halo:Combat Evolved!

So...does it still have 4P play? CoOp play? Anything new? Also HELL YES THE GOOD SPARTAN ARMOR!

theonlyblaze2

Aug 20, 2010
Come on now! You need a spoiler tag or something. Ruined the whole ending for the nine people who own an Xbox and haven't play Halo.

theonlyblaze2

Aug 20, 2010
EDIT: Wow, triple post. Never done that before.

Pretty excited for this game. Be about the fifth time I have bought Halo: CE.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Despite all the hype and such, Halo Anniversary still doesn't look like very "upgraded", but whatever.

UnderCoverGuest

May 24, 2010
Huh. Halo: Combat Evolved had specular mapping...aaand it looks as though all they added to this version is...bump mapping...

...so, they remade a game that is already pretty good in both technical and nostalgic terms, aaand...repackaged it so they can re-sell it...I think I'm beginning to agree with Yahtzee: there needs to be some kind of legal punishment for this sort of thing.

For every Halo, Gears of War, or Modern Warfare released (or remade now, apparently; though all the games are pretty much the same anyway: "Kill <Alien/Human>, Save World from "), there are a dozen well thought-up games that are completely thrown aside in favor of the 'safe' and virtually guaranteed money-making choice. Makes me want to reconsider script-writing as a side hobby.

Anywho, have fun all you folks who didn't play Halo when it first came out, it was fun, and these days the nostalgia alone is enough to keep it going. Maybe this time they'll have PC multiplayer Co-Op...oh, snap! Halo, there's another game they decided to stop porting to PC! Wonder if this remake will also be aborted for PC transfer.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
That's a terrible trailer. Why have a voice over explaining the plot when everyone already knows it?

And in the unlikely event you didn't, the 'mystery' of the Halo is pretty much destroyed by the trailer... sigh.

So... pointless, over explanatory narration; lifeless action sequences; poor music (what, did Bungee hand over the IP but keep the rights to THE theme?) Sure this isn't a fan trailer?

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
This reminded of how stupid I thought the Halo was where a friend first explained it to me WAY back when. "So it's a defense against the Flood that will wipe out all life in the universe EXCEPT the Flood? Brilliant."

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
Meh. The only thing that could have possibly interested me was if it had the original multiplayer exactly how it was except with Live play. Since the multiplayer is just Halo Reach with classic maps, I couldn't care less. I played the Campaign of the original enough to not need to pay money for it again to play it maybe once more before getting bored. If I REALLY wanted to play it, I still have the Xbox version.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
"343 Industries," not that we're buying into our own hype or anything.

This would be slightly more impressive if 343 went multi-platform with Halo I'd even buy it, because as co-op's go it was a pretty solid game even if it never tried to explain or acknowledge a second Master Chief.

Quick question since I'm a PS3 user with no drive to buy an Xbox - doesn't the original Halo work on your 360? If so... what's the friggin' point of this release? Try to word your response without using the words "graphics" or "improved" or words that can be defined as either.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
SnakeoilSage said:

This would be slightly more impressive if 343 went multi-platform with Halo I'd even buy it, because as co-op's go it was a pretty solid game even if it never tried to explain or acknowledge a second Master Chief.

Quick question since I'm a PS3 user with no drive to buy an Xbox - doesn't the original Halo work on your 360? If so... what's the friggin' point of this release? Try to word your response without using the words "graphics" or "improved" or words that can be defined as either.
Maybe for people who can't play Combat Evolved on their 360 because they use a PC monitor?

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Norix596 said:
This reminded of how stupid I thought the Halo was where a friend first explained it to me WAY back when. "So it's a defense against the Flood that will wipe out all life in the universe EXCEPT the Flood? Brilliant."
The only way to stop the flood is to starve them to death. The Forerunners couldn't make a device that would kill all the Flood in the galaxy, but they could make it kill everything else, thus taking away their food.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Leftnt Sharpe said:
SnakeoilSage said:

Maybe for people who can't play Combat Evolved on their 360 because they use a PC monitor?
Oh, you too? Woo, monitor-buddies! *hi-five*

Yeah that's why I'm getting it too.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Leftnt Sharpe said:
Mm, a good point, but that niche is too small to warrant it.

Try again. Feel free to use "milk" and "franchise" if you like.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
So is this just a HD remake of the original Halo?

(Before you jump me with "omfgrofl how can you not know this" take note that I am a pc gamer, have tried Halo 1 and 2, was thoroughly unimpressed and have cared very little about the franchise).

And if it is, what's the point of buying it? Isn't the 360 supposed to be backward-compatible? (instead of just backward? hur hur. Sorry, couldn't help myself.) Is simply a HD remake worth buying? Full price?

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
Well, a poorly-constructed trailer aside, I'm excited for this.

I mean, 343 is including classic maps, they're including classic gameplay (they confirmed that CE gameplay can be found in multiplayer, but it will probably be relegated to a seperate playlist. Not sure what they mean by this, as the only example that they highlighted was that some gametypes can feature the Halo 1 pistol in MP), and they're only charging $40 for it.

VladG said:
So is this just a HD remake of the original Halo?

(Before you jump me with "omfgrofl how can you not know this" take note that I am a pc gamer, have tried Halo 1 and 2, was thoroughly unimpressed and have cared very little about the franchise).

And if it is, what's the point of buying it? Isn't the 360 supposed to be backward-compatible? (instead of just backward? hur hur. Sorry, couldn't help myself.) Is simply a HD remake worth buying? Full price?
The PC versions of Halo 1 and Halo 2 were both released some time after their respective XBox versions. By the time they were released, their PC competition had far outdone them.

To put this in perspective, Halo 1 was released for the PC in late 2003, while the original XBox version was released in Late 2001. Halo 2 was released on the PC (as Halo 2 Vista) in 2007, the same year that it's 360-exclusive successor came out (also, the same year that CoD4 was released). By the time either game made it to PC, it was rather dated, and, in Halo 2's case, had technical issues. If there's one silver lining to the release of the first 2 Halos on PC, it's the fact that Halo 1 was ported well, was given additional maps, and recieved Custom Edition.

To answer your question on whether it's worth it to buy it; it's debatable, but the game isn't being released for full-price, it's coming in at around $40, so, it's a matter of whether you liked the original campaign (and Reach's multiplayer) enough to justify $40.