Trailers: Kinect Star Wars: E3 2011

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
9_6 said:
The fact that no game uses hand gestures for example.
Why hover above an icon or "spank" the menu like in dance central if just flicking your wrist or quickly making a fist for a "click" would be so much more practical?
Probably not because no one thought of that.
It's always big motions so far and determining the angle of a lightsaber by the angle of your hand seems like a huge jump from that.
Thanks to MS Research, we do know that the functionality is there. If I were to make a guess, I would say that it does not work well enough for critical features that had to be there at launch or in the first wave of games. It's not an "all or nothing" kind of thing. They'll figure out how to make hand gestures work better or how to use them when they work best.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Don Reba said:
BrotherRool said:
Well it can't detect finger, and finger movments, so wrist flicks seem a little subtle? It's not about the resolution, but recognising the motion I think
Kinect tracks 16 body points, including hands, feet, and neck. Its body part recognition comes from Microsoft Research, which publishes its work, so we know what it does in all the gruesome detail: http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/145347/BodyPartRecognition.pdf

But then, a game can also take the original depth map and perform its own recognition, so even finger gestures are not totally out of the question. I think we will see much more advanced usage of Kinect in the coming years.
So forgive me if I'm wrong, but since it's tracking 16 joints, 3 of which are in the wrist area, and then it infers tha hand position from joints, isn't the research you kindly linked to, clearly asserting, that as the technology stands, no fingers aren't possible?

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
BrotherRool said:
So forgive me if I'm wrong, but since it's tracking 16 joints, 3 of which are in the wrist area, and then it infers tha hand position from joints, isn't the research you kindly linked to, clearly asserting, that as the technology stands, no fingers aren't possible?
Fingers are not possible out of the box, but, in principle, a game developer could use the same method to recognize fingers or any other body part. The game would probably have to ask the player to hold hands in front of the Kinect, though:

- Put your hands where I can see them!

This might be problematic. :)

I don't know. People are doing all sorts of awesome things [http://johnnylee.net/projects/wii/] using Wiimotes that game developers won't do. I don't know why. I hope Kinect developers will be more creative.

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
DEATHROAD said:
All i wanted was a star wars game where i could force physics objects around a room with the flat of my hand, doing different hand gestures for push pull lightning etc, or maybe some kind of one on one duel game, but not this.. NOT THIS!
Yeah...it's funny how when you finally get to actually use the lightsaber without a keyboard control, LucasArts has jaded it's fan base to the point where most fans are going to go, meh, now. While ten or fifteen years ago we'd have be going OH MY GOD!!!!

weker

May 27, 2009
Team Hollywood said:
Kinect Star Wars: E3 2011

Jump into the Star Wars universe in Kinect Star Wars.

Watch Video
Looks fun, but I wish Microsoft would just deal with it and make a numchuck for kinect so I can walk with a stick rather then having everything on rails.