Trailers: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Demo

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
I gotta say, I'm kind of eager for this one. I've liked Big Huge Games ever since Rise of Nations. Can't wait.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Gameplay seems to resemble a combination of both Dragon Ages and God of War. With a hint of Fable. Fortunately, it doesn't look terrible.

Still, I must wonder why the commentator regarded the combat as very "kinetic" and fast-paced. Maybe I've just been spoiled by the likes of Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden, but the combat here seemed a bit slow. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that, but still.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Actually doesn't look bad. Sounds like the developers here were trying to work in a number of things that the Skyrim team wanted to fix since Oblivion (eg: being stuck with a class you don't like 20 hours into the game because of a choice you made at the start).

I'm an EXTREMELY picky buyer though, but I'm gonna keep my eye on this.

znix

Apr 9, 2009
I am so getting this. The combat looks great and it's definitely a first in an open world RPG of such massive proportions as this one.

What they've shown so far completely shames DA2 and Fable in my opinion.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Lord Beautiful said:
Gameplay seems to resemble a combination of both Dragon Ages and God of War. With a hint of Fable. Fortunately, it doesn't look terrible.

Still, I must wonder why the commentator regarded the combat as very "kinetic" and fast-paced. Maybe I've just been spoiled by the likes of Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden, but the combat here seemed a bit slow. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that, but still.
I think he was saying it's very fast paced- for an RPG.

Personally, I'm looking forward to it.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I would be highly amped up for this if not for the WoWesque art style. Its very offputting. The dissapointing part is having Todd Mcfarlane being behind the art work, and it still comes off graphically looking like a massively upgraded WoW. You would expect something much more impressive and well.. artistic than what your seeing.

Beyond that it like your typical WRPG fare nowadays. The dialouge system looks like Oblivion or fallout (Would say Dragonage but he did hint that theres not so much a branch of relevent dialog but more of a "would you like to know more" system.) The gameplay moves like Demon's Souls or Fable and the char progression smacks of WoW. If blended right, it could be quite awesome. However, and this is just me, the game already gives me the sense that its going to be entirely too easy. Its like its tripping over itself to make you seem badass, but forgetting that the most badass you can feel is beating something down by the skin of your teeth, not in some glorious blowout.(Basically Force Unleashed Syndrome) Time will only tell on this point.

Honestly with all the big guns behind this project the game BETTER take off. If you cant put together a massive hit with a quote unquote dream team, then youve really fucked up somewhere along the way. There is potential for that, in that everything is trying TOO hard.

Again, we shall just have to wait and see. Not a day one purchase for me. A wait and see actual reviews first.

pheipl

Jun 24, 2010
I know it is hard to compare this to The Witcher 2 because this is an open world WRPG and is very loot based, while the witcher is not loot driven (you need herbs and animal guts for potions and sticks and rocks for armor / weapon crafting but at the end of the day you have like maybe 20/20 swords and 20 armor pieces ... you don't have a set of boots / trousers / gauntlets / wrists / cape / etc)

Here you customize your class and craft your own story while there you are who you are and you simply make a few choices in his story.

BUT the graphics are bad for 2011 (2012 - 2013 by the time this is out) with bad animations, cartoony art style helps only if you don't want your game to age bad but if you're not an MMO it's usually a bad idea unless you have a great art director (they don't) and it looks a bit schizophrenic: The game doesn't seem to know who it wants to be (oblivion / fable / dragon age / god of war) and overall it looks a bit dull. I doubt it will have the replay value of oblivion or the story of DA:O (not the cr@p expansion or sh!t sequel)

Overall I'd say Witcher 2 > this any day. But if you want something new ... then just wait for Skyrim. I just don't see why some one would buy this. If it comes out later (2013 - 2014) everyone will buy DA 3 even if it's nothing but hogwash.

Hexador

Dec 28, 2007
I had only seen 1 teaser about this game before so I wasn't quite sure if it was going into my x-mas RPG cart.

Then Ian described it as a "massive open-world RPG".
Looks like I'll get to play more than just Skyrim for the next 6 months =).