Trailers: L.A. Noire Gameplay Series: Orientation

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
L.A. Noire Gameplay Series: Orientation

Search for clues, interrogate witness, and fight crime in this orientation to L.A. Noire.

Watch Video

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
I am so excited for this badboy to come out, at first I dismissed it after such a long development cycle, but if it gives me a great noir story, then all is well

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Has anything been said about a system to discourage collateral damage? Can't imagine a cop can get away with plowing through pedestrians in a car chase or killing citizens during a shootout.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Looks pretty good.

Hopefully the "stages of investigation" get mixed up appropriately to keep good pacing. I also hope that as much of this as possible has been developed and written by Team Bondi, since Rockstar themselves don't have the slightest clue in how to pace a story or a game.

N_Gin

Aug 20, 2010
Nice to see a game where the facial expressions of the characters really match the dialogue. Pre-ordered it about a month ago. =)

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008

I think I have to change my pants now.

Those facial animations, my favourite setting...well, ever, something to do besides the action. It's pretty much everything I wanted Mafia 2 to be, and more! Oh lords I want this. Though I wonder whether the shooting action will also be just as good as Mafia 2's. That game had easily the best and most challenging shooter-based combat since the game that made it popular, Gears.
Woodsey said:
Looks pretty good.

Hopefully the "stages of investigation" get mixed up appropriately to keep good pacing. I also hope that as much of this as possible has been developed and written by Team Bondi, since Rockstar themselves don't have the slightest clue in how to pace a story or a game.
Hmm, well, I must say that I found GTA: The Lost And Damned really well-written. I didn't care much for the original GTA4, but I adored TLAD. Now here's to hoping The Ballad Of Gay Tony will be just as good.

But I've never heard of Team Bondi though, wonder how they'll do.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Cowabungaa said:

I think I have to change my pants now.

Those facial animations, the fact that it has everything Mafia 2 had and much more. Oh lords I want this.
Woodsey said:
Looks pretty good.

Hmm, well, I must say that I found GTA: The Lost And Damned really well-written. I didn't care much for the original GTA4, but I adored TLAD. Now here's to hoping The Ballad Of Gay Tony will be just as good.

But I've never heard of Team Bondi though, wonder how they'll do.
Err, The Ballad of Gay Tony came out like a year ago.

As for R*'s writing ability, it can be quite good in terms of dialogue (RDR), but their character writing is inconsistent at best (both Niko and John Marston are walking contradictions) and their pacing is some of the worst I've ever had to endure.

There are essentially 2 plot points that happen in RDR's Mexico, TWO, and yet its the longest section of the game!

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Woodsey said:
I also hope that as much of this as possible has been developed and written by Team Bondi, since Rockstar themselves don't have the slightest clue in how to pace a story or a game.
Red Dead Redemption would like to have a word with you.
It was easily one of the best written games of last year. Of the past few years, really.

More on topic: This game looks kick-my-ass awesome. I can't wait to play the finished product. I really hope the detective work is a real part of the game, and not some 'in between missions' minigame-type thing. It doesn't look like it will be, but I'm pretty excited for a cop game to feature something that even remotely resembles police work, rather then a 'Streets of LA' style gun-fest.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Woodsey said:

As for R*'s writing ability, it can be quite good in terms of dialogue (RDR), but their character writing is inconsistent at best (both Niko and John Marston are walking contradictions) and their pacing is some of the worst I've ever had to endure.

There are essentially 2 plot points that happen in RDR's Mexico, TWO, and yet its the longest section of the game!
I know, I just haven't played it yet. Well, I haven't played it past one of the early missions in which you have to steal a military helicopter. I can steal it just fine, but hunting down those little boats and landing the damned thing is a pain in the ass, especially when failing to land it means you have to do it aaaaall over again.

You're right about RDR though. Loved the setting and dialogue, but they failed hard at pacing and properly characterising the main character. Marston had a lot of potential, but they really screwed him up. And Mexico...don't get me started about fucking Mexico.

Real shame, but at least TLAD showed that they can do it despite them fucking up with RDR.
Baby Tea said:
Red Dead Redemption would like to have a word with you. It was easily one of the best written games of last year. Of the past few years, really.
Eh, I wouldn't see why. Good, yeah, but the story was rather cliché and Marston was a real inconsistent guy. It's main strength was how the story was told, which was really really well, but they still rather screwed up characterisation and pasing. As Woodsey said, Mexico took waaaay too freakin' long while progressing the story fairly little.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
I admittedly don't buy or really appreciate Rockstar's games games as much as the next guy, but this one looks like something I'd really enjoy.

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
Woodsey said:
I know, I just haven't played it yet. Well, I haven't played it past one of the early missions in which you have to steal a military helicopter. I can steal it just fine, but hunting down those little boats and landing the damned thing is a pain in the ass, especially when failing to land it means you have to do it aaaaall over again.
Are you playing on the PC version as well? I keep wondering why they designed it to require three arms.

Cyrax987

Aug 3, 2009
Oh my god this game is awesome! I seriously think this is going to be one of my top games of 2011

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Moonpooman said:
Cowabungaa said:
Woodsey said:
Are you playing on the PC version as well? I keep wondering why they designed it to require three arms.
Yeah I am, bought it during the previous Christmas sale. Well that explains it. Better give Zaphod a ring and ask for his plastic surgeon's number.