Trailers: Lord of the Rings: War in the North

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Lord of the Rings: War in the North

While the Fellowship carries the ring East to Mordor, their are threats in the North that must be met.

Watch Video

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Another game built on being "Not-Aragorn", "Ain't-Legolas" and "I-can't-believe-it's-not-Gimli". They made an RPG just like this about 8 years ago now, it just shoe-horned your party into every scene possible from the movies. Even when it was physically insane, e.g. fighting the Balrog with Gandalf... On the bridge of Khazad-Dum... A party of four plus gandalf standing side-by-side on a three foot wide bridge.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
What the hell is an M rating doing anywhere near LotR?

Tolkien wrote it for his kids FFS

It's just yet another shameless cash in, with material inappropriate to the source.. just more shit on the market.

TheRealGoochman

Apr 7, 2010
hmmmm......to be honest I don't know what to think of it.
It made me curious I can give it that, but don't know if I am curious enough to buy it

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
manythings said:
Another game built on being "Not-Aragorn", "Ain't-Legolas" and "I-can't-believe-it's-not-Gimli". They made an RPG just like this about 8 years ago now, it just shoe-horned your party into every scene possible from the movies. Even when it was physically insane, e.g. fighting the Balrog with Gandalf... On the bridge of Khazad-Dum... A party of four plus gandalf standing side-by-side on a three foot wide bridge.
I never played that, but was interested. Was it any good?

And while it looks like it's not based on any source material (that I know of), it could be interesting. Whether or not it's legit, that depends on how you look at it. Since it's based (however loosely) off of a book series, how far should they be allowed to go with taking liberties? Since I'm a big fan of LOTR, I would hope any game made based on it should have some reference in the books. Otherwise they are just making stuff up that was never envisioned by Tolkien, which I don't feel is right.

As for the mature rating, that could simply be because of bloodshed during combat. I'm not sure how much it takes to push a game into mature, but I didn't see anything in the video that really states WHY it gets a mature rating.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Is this an expansion to LotR online or a stand alone // Also I am like the graphics in this, lets just hope the story is up to par

-M

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
TheKruzdawg said:
manythings said:

And while it looks like it's not based on any source material (that I know of), it could be interesting. Whether or not it's legit, that depends on how you look at it. Since it's based (however loosely) off of a book series, how far should they be allowed to go with taking liberties? Since I'm a big fan of LOTR, I would hope any game made based on it should have some reference in the books. Otherwise they are just making stuff up that was never envisioned by Tolkien, which I don't feel is right.

As for the mature rating, that could simply be because of bloodshed during combat. I'm not sure how much it takes to push a game into mature, but I didn't see anything in the video that really states WHY it gets a mature rating.
There is taking liberties and there is blatantly just jamming shit into the story that never existed. It was a competent RPG but I'm glad I only rented it. Remember how the Mumaks were such a problem it took the army of the dead to kill them? In the game you eventualy take down 8 or 9 of them yourself...

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
So, Dragon Age made sweet love to Lord of the Rings? I mean this in a good way, since the trailer looked reasonably promising. Overall, it looks like a party based RPG set in the LotR universe. The basic concept is sound and now it remains to be seen what they'll do with it.

What does worry me is that the company making it (Snowblind) hasn't really had anything quite high profile. Seeing as how they made the original Dark Alliance and seem to have continued in that same tone (with the Champions games), it's making me rethink the whole "Like Dragon Age but..." thing that I opened with.

However, nothing in the info I have so far directly pisses me off so this gets the benefit of the doubt... for now.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Kill100577 said:
Just play LOTRO for a good LOTR game
I was about to say, this is really just the story that Lord of the Rings Online has been working through since 2007, the war in the north against the Witch-King of Angmar, or rather, the guy he left in charge since I believe he's down with Sauron during this time period.

As far as I'm aware, the Tolkien estate keeps a pretty close eye on what's done with their properties, so I'm willing to bet most of this is as close to cannon as possible. There was other stuff going on elsewhere in Middle Earth while the Fellowship was busy down in the south, after all.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
PEGI 18? For that?
PEGI said The Witcher wasn't crude enough for it's rating, and this has a temporary one of 18? :D
I'm guessing someone at PEGI doesn't like people messing around with the LotR story.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Looking forward to this. we all know the events that transpired in the movies/books, but I always wondered what the rest of the world was doing at the time. Battle for Middle Earth 2 shined some light on the events, but never in any really satisfying detail.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
008Zulu said:
Looking forward to this. we all know the events that transpired in the movies/books, but I always wondered what the rest of the world was doing at the time. Battle for Middle Earth 2 shined some light on the events, but never in any really satisfying detail.
Well you're not going to find out from this game... it may as well have been a dog that wrote it for all the relevence the story has.

Solstrana91

Sep 4, 2004
Well, that was an alright trailer...
But what kind of game is it?? :S
RPG? MMO? FPS like...that one like the new transformers game, you know what I mean. IF you can call that an FPS... which I'm going to do. Deal with it :p
I wouldn't mind a new RPG...

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
So they are taking the same route LotRO has taken and let you face one of the servants of the Witch-King of Angmar? Not that bad, if done right. But then again, it seems as if your enemy is a Nazgûl with a burning staff, which doesn't fill me with much hope. (Anybody else notice that there is a kind of Nazgul-inflation? Once there were only nine of them, and at most two of them had actual names. Nowadays, there just seems to be a named Ringwraith for every new adaptation.) It really all comes down on how they treat the source material and how well the new facets of the story fit with the overall world and history.

Oh, and did somebody get the name the narrator used? I'm pretty sure I've never heard it before, but maybe I just don't know the English pronounciation.

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
TheKruzdawg said:
manythings said:

If your talking about The Third Age I thought it was pretty damn good. The characters and the choice on offer was quite large for a "cash in" and all together I though it was a bargain for the £4 I got it for.

However on topic. I really want this game and Im hoping so much that its not terrible, the idea of using Diablo like game has got me really interested in it more than the 4 play co-op aspect did.

FlameUnquenchable

Apr 27, 2010
Fumbleumble said:
008Zulu said:
Well you're not going to find out from this game... it may as well have been a dog that wrote it for all the relevence the story has.
You won't find it from anywhere because Tolkien was focused on his story not the rest of the world, but that doesn't mean you have to trash this just because Tolkien didn't write it. I personally wish Chris Tolkien would stop just compiling stuff his dad noted, and actually write something new for the world. In all honesty he's the only one who knew his father's world the best, so he should add to it, but he won't so Lord of the Rings is done as a world, it's closed and once you read the Trilogy, the Hobbit, and the Silmarillion that's it, no more to add to the story.

This game may not be cannon to the story but it doesn't have to be, it can be an adventure that's plausible that is set in Middle Earth. Letting the door close on Middle Earth just because JRR is to me very sad. The world is full of flavor and adventure but nothing will ever be added to it now, no new life. To me that is just letting the world die out.

FlameUnquenchable

Apr 27, 2010
Avayu said:
Oh, and did somebody get the name the narrator used? I'm pretty sure I've never heard it before, but maybe I just don't know the English pronounciation.
He said Agondar, but I wonder if they meant Angmar? Or if Agondar is the name of the General leading the WK's forces while he's away.

WorkerMurphey

Jan 24, 2010
It's rare that I'm this underwhelmed with a trailer, and I'm a Tolkien fan. I don't understand why we need to make games about LOTR. We did it when the movies came out for ps2. We did the RTS thing, the conquest thing, we've got an MMORPG. And why are we stuck on the visual style of the movies?

If you're going to continue to milk this title let's do something creative like a stealth based game playing as gollum or a cutesy farmville rip-off set in the Shire.