Trailers: Naval War: Arctic Circle - Dev Video Diary, Episode 1

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Naval War: Arctic Circle - Dev Video Diary, Episode 1

An exclusive look behind the scenes of Turbo Tape Games and Paradox Interactive's upcoming RTS.

Watch Video

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Hmm. When I first took a look at this, it appeared to be a pretty bad game. Then a minute into the video I figured out that it was an independent game, and decided that I'll take a closer look at it. Still doesn't look great, but it could be alright.

Just my two cents.

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
Didn't know what to think before I saw the trailer, but now I actually think this looks like a decent game. There aren't enough RTS games with a focus on naval battles. Also it's an indie game, so it should be pretty cheap.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Why do I get the feeling that at least one of the dev team is only making the game so that he can beat people online at something he made himself?

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
"You can't have a conflict in the Arctic region without Russia." Funny, I'd say the same thing about Canada due to our massive amount of Arctic claims. But apparently from what I saw we're going to get mashed into 'the Alliance' despite Canadian sovereignty rights trumping any American/European/whatever claim on the north. Bear in mind I don't really see anything wrong with the game so far but that's just an annoying 'let's ignore Canada' nitpick for me.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Jane's Fleet Command [http://i.d.com.com/i/dl/media/dlimage/90/14/2/90142_large.jpeg], fellas. Right down to the picture-in-picture three-section interface.

silverdragon9

Aug 25, 2009
Blind Sight said:
"You can't have a conflict in the Arctic region without Russia." Funny, I'd say the same thing about Canada due to our massive amount of Arctic claims. But apparently from what I saw we're going to get mashed into 'the Alliance' despite Canadian sovereignty rights trumping any American/European/whatever claim on the north. Bear in mind I don't really see anything wrong with the game so far but that's just an annoying 'let's ignore Canada' nitpick for me.
they probably say that because russia has the world's second biggest navy and a lot of artic holdings.

RagingNinja

Dec 13, 2010
Blind Sight said:
yeah, because nobody has ever tried to take something away other peoples' territory or sovereignty before.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
RagingNinja said:
Blind Sight said:
yeah, because nobody has ever tried to take something away other peoples' territory or sovereignty before.
That's an incredibly lazy excuse/justification to completely avoid a very important part of Arctic territorial claims.

silverdragon9 said:
they probably say that because russia has the world's second biggest navy and a lot of artic holdings.
Very true, it just annoys me that they're basically bypassing a vital part of Arctic sovereignty. The north is Canada's insurance plan when it comes to mineral resources and shipping for the next couple decades and they're ignoring the fact that Canadian claims are just as strongly against American ownership as they are Russian. That's my only major complaint, they're taking a very complex issue with different nations having different agendas and turning it into another 'West vs. the Russians' story. I don't know, I wish that games would grow up a bit more when it comes to international relations and present a more realistic presentation instead of some glorified, simplistic view of events.

Teddy Roosevelt

Nov 11, 2009
Blind Sight said:
RagingNinja said:
Blind Sight said:
That's an incredibly lazy excuse/justification to completely avoid a very important part of Arctic territorial claims.

silverdragon9 said:
Very true, it just annoys me that they're basically bypassing a vital part of Arctic sovereignty. The north is Canada's insurance plan when it comes to mineral resources and shipping for the next couple decades and they're ignoring the fact that Canadian claims are just as strongly against American ownership as they are Russian. That's my only major complaint, they're taking a very complex issue with different nations having different agendas and turning it into another 'West vs. the Russians' story. I don't know, I wish that games would grow up a bit more when it comes to international relations and present a more realistic presentation instead of some glorified, simplistic view of events.
Well, the NATO vs Russia story, especially in this case, is justified. It's a naval war game, so Russia, who still has some enmity toward NATO let us not forget, with its naval firepower, would be the obvious choice. Canada, on the other hand, plays about as much a role as the UK. Definitely there, but can't hold any stance as a majority player, which titles go to Russia and the US, mostly.

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
RagingNinja said:
Blind Sight said:
The sad thing is that many of my fellow Canadians seem to believe just that. Or that Canada would never have to worry about foreigners taking our Arctic sovereignty (not the Russians, Stephen Harper, just the Europeans and Americans have laid claim to our waters) because we'll be nice and peaceful, unlike those warlike, aggressive Americans, and resolve it in the UN. And if that fails, no could possibly attack Canada, because everyone likes us.

Yes, you heard correctly, everyone likes Canada, so we do not have to worry about military aggression, because the ever elusive "everyone" (well, not elusive at all, these people literally think the whole world would go to war to protect Canada. Ha!) will defend our borders for us.

If all fails, we surrender our Arctic waters because its more important to have free-health (unlike Americans) for a few more decades before our country collapses under the weight of its gargantuan, unaffordable entitlement programs; if we started shifting money from paying for triple bypass surgeries to paying for nuclear submarines, why, we'd be just the the Americans.

And I cannot possibly think of anything more important to distinguish us from the Americans than having free health care.

/vomit