Trailers: Saints Row: The Third: Steelport

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I'm guessing most of the stuff shown in here is coming from mini-games or unlockable bonuses. Well, I hope so anyway. I'd hate to see Volition play up to the "GTA only ZANY!" image of SR2 just a bit too much and we end up with a looney tunes cartoon.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
solidsnake101023 said:
Flying Dagger said:
looks amazing... though I still haven't got round to playing saints row 2, so i've got that to look forward to when my pc gets fixed too.
should get it on a console the pc verison of saints row 2 is really glitchy
Yeah I've heard, unfortunately I don't own a console, so I'll just have to make do, though this copy only cost me £3.74 off steam in one of their sales.

Sixcess said:
I'm guessing most of the stuff shown in here is coming from mini-games or unlockable bonuses. Well, I hope so anyway. I'd hate to see Volition play up to the "GTA only ZANY!" image of SR2 just a bit too much and we end up with a looney tunes cartoon.
A looney tunes cartoon open world crime sandbox sounds pretty frickin awesome to me :p

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009
Sixcess said:
I don't see it being much different than Saints Row 2 in that regards.
There was some serious stuff packed in to the story, but the gameplay and everything else (including parts of the story) was just plain and simple fun.
I don't think the story will collapse into one big joke after another (Volition is surprisingly good with keeping the jokes in the story minimum, which makes them that much funnier. well, outside of the stripper jokes).

OT: I'm super excited to play a character that actually looks attractive. I mean, I got a good looking guy with a ton of effort (it was easier to get an attractive lady, but not much), but it'll be nice for them to be attractive all around (and it appears that the plastic skin feel is gone too).
I must say, I'm going to miss the "Did you do something with your hair?" comments (particularly when you're a lady Saint). Those still make me laugh and I've played SR2 several times over. xD

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
THIS is what a sandbox game should be like. THIS is the kind of over-the-top fun that's been missing from video games for too long. Volition is epic.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
busterkeatonrules said:
This is shaping up to be the best sandbox crime-sim since Saints Row 2!
agreed! cannot wait to start slapping some ass! (that sounded so right and so wrong all at the same time!)

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I'm impressed. Looks like they went with the philosophy of dumb fun/schizophrenia and took it too the max. Combining the best of GTA and the Postal games.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
I'm glad to see that like 2 this one will also be on PC. The last console I bought was an SNES. :p

I'm also glad to see that they kept the FUN OVER THE TOP GRANDMA-TOSSING aspect of SR2. It looks like a graphical upgrade of SR2. So much so that I kept looking for the Ultor building in the trailer, despite knowing it's a different city. This is a good thing. I love SR2. SR2 couldn't be more awesome if it had tits and was on fire. Wait, it already has tits and IS on fire. Okay, it couldn't be more awesome if it had an engine that could keep up with itself and a bit better 3D models... oh wait, yes it could, and the Third is going to take care of that! Sweet. :D

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
OptimusPrime33 said:
FUCK THE SHOOTERS! I'm gettin' Saints Row for November!
I think that's just the demo on the 15th. The game comes out later. I probably won't have beaten skyrim by the time this comes out. Well, that's how it is sometimes.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I squealed, I bounced in my chair, I can't stop grinning, I came and November 15th is too far away. I freaking need now! I'm always dismissing people when they open a new 'Game of the Year 2011' thread but THAT IS IT.

Screw MW3
Screw Old Republic
Screw Skyrim

I
Need
Saint's Row the Third

To be honest though: I hope unlimited ammo isn't readily available; I liked unlocking it in #2 along with unlimited sprint, no damage while falling, etc.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I am loving the jet fighter. You know what would have been more over the top? If it could transform like in Macross.

For the sniper rifle, it had better be a .50 cal anti-material rifle.

I'd like to see how well the PC version works, if it has the same problems the SR2 port had.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
That was some amazing sandbox gameplay (I assume there will eventually be consequences to things you do), although what I'd really like to see is some SR2-style writing. Seriously, that game was hilarious, whereas all I've seen in this game so far is wink-at-the-camera.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
Well, that changed it from "I'll check it out" to "I'm buying this the day it comes out. I loved Saints Row 2, it really felt like what I expected GTA 4 to be after San Andreas. GTA 4 was a good game, but after the story there just wasn't much to do. This looks to have solved all those problems.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
pieguy259 said:
So what's the catch? Starting out as godlike supermen with the ability to call in airstrikes is all well and good, but it's not much of a challenge.
my rebuttal:
so? [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfFun]

honestly, it can be nothing but a good thing that a dick-around sandbox game doesn't focus on "difficulty" because at some point then you have to sacrifice fun for it. if you focus ALL on fun, then you obviously have little to no difficulty, is that such a bad thing?

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I saw this a few days ago from Machinima, but it still shines. This game deserves the choir at the end.